Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Harpist's Redemption  by Coreinha

Morning dawned bright and chilly over the tiny vessel floating alone amid the ice floes and rocky shoals of the Hudson Bay. Maglor arose from his bed refreshed and eager to start the new day.  After coaxing the hot plate into functioning via a small generator, he began cooking scrambled eggs on one burner and boiling water for coffee on the other.  Soon the fragrant aromas filled the cabin and brought his younger companions to consciousness.
Sliding out of the hammock with a pleased sigh, Elrohir stretched and reached for his shoes.  A good night's sleep had done wonders to refresh him.
Nearby, Legolas mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like, "five more minutes Ada," and buried his face in his arm.
Maglor passed a plate of eggs and a cup of coffee to Elrohir, then pulled on his own shoes and carried a plate of food and a cup of coffee up to ogan, who was leaning on the helm, watching the horizon.
Gratefully accepting the food and beverage, he pointed to the horizon with his fork.  "I think I see land, but I'm not sure.  The light is making it hard to tell what's real and what's not." 
"We are getting closer, my friend.  Worry not, it won't be much longer.  Why don't you and your guard dog get some rest?"
Chuckling, Logan patted Cell-hu on the head, then pulled a cigarette out of his pocket and sat down on the steps to enjoy his coffee and a smoke.  "He rested up all night so he could sleep today.  Wouldn't want him to tax himself."
Maglor chuckled and took over the helm with the ease of long practice.
Below them, Legolas had finally decided to join the land of the living and was sitting up in his hammock while Elrohir got him a plate of food.  He was looking at an object in his right hand with a perplexed look when Elrohir brought him his food.
"What is that, mellon nin?"  Elrohir asked as he offered the steaming plate of eggs.
"....Sting," Legolas murmured.

~*~

Elrond slumped to the ground with a heavy sigh, Glorfindel dropped beside him and shared a weary look with his long-time friend.
Sheltered by the ruins of Tirion, the two felt safe enough for the moment to rest and tend to each other's wounds. Since their escape from Morgoth's dungeon, they had done nothing but run and hide, trying to stay under the radar of the dark lord's servants.
There in the rubble of a small infirmary, Elrond and Glorfindel huddled together, shivering in the cold that now permeated all of Valinor.
Occasionally, the walls quivered and shook as the dragon guarding the city thundered by, looking for more treasure for the pile he had already built in the main palace. Outside the city, balrogs, orcs and more dragons roamed at will, fouling the land and searching for any Elves who may have escaped the initial attack.
"We cannot stay here long, mellon nin." Elrond picked up a cracked cup from the ground, filled it with water dripping from somewhere above them, then handed it to his companion.
Glorfindel drank the water gratefully, then handed the cup back to Elrond. "I know. But what are we trying to do here, Elrond? What can just you and I accomplish?"
Shaking his head sadly, Elrond refilled the cup for himself, "I don't know. But if we can get to the shores and find a boat, perhaps we can sail back to Middle Earth and rally the race of Men to come to our aid."
"Elrond, we have abandoned them for thousands of years, why would they help us?  They've probably forgotten we ever existed."
Elrond sighed and took another sip, "I know. But what other option do we have, Glorfindel? Sit here and wait to die?  I can't accept that."
Glorfindel gave his friend a wry smile, "I know, neither can I.  Let's rest here for tonight, then head to the shore in the morning."
Setting the cup on a small ledge above him, Elrond stretched out on his side, resting his head on the crook of his arm.
Glorfindel stretched out beside him, their bodies close together to preserve some warmth in the chill air.
As they slipped into a light rest, their eyes still open and watchful, Elrond's mind drifted once again toward his sons, as it had a thousand times since he last rested, and he murmured a prayer for their safety. "Watch over them, Eru. Please be my eyes."
~*~
Elsewhere on the once beautiful continent, Morgoth furiously stormed around his tower.  "What do you MEAN you cannot find those accursed Elf Lords?!"
The orcs before him cowered at his wrath, not daring to move lest they be struck down.
"Find them and bring them to me! And get rid of those corpses!" Morgoth gestured to a pile of Elven bodies, amid them the physical remains of Thranduil and Celeborn.
Bowing, the foul creatures scurried off to do their lord's bidding.

Alone in his tower, Morgoth sank into a throne-like chair, contemplated the wall opposite him for a moment, then raised his right hand and barked, "Sauron, to me."
Appearing like smoke from the shadows behind him, Sauron came forward. "Yes my lord, what would you ask of me?" His voice was like the hiss of a snake, sibilant and menacing.
"The naugrim. No one has heard from them in thousands of years. I suspect they still live. Find them, faithful servant. I want their might on our side."
Sauron bowed, "Of course, my lord."
"And send out your nazgul to round up any Elves that might still be free. I suspect there may be a few here and there that were missed in the initial attack; dragons and balrogs make too much noise to sneak up on an Elf."
Again, Sauron bowed, "As you wish, my lord."
Waving his hand, Morgoth dismissed his lieutenant. "I knew I could count on you."
An evil smirk spread over his face as he picked up a map depicting  ancient Middle Earth and studied it. "All this will be mine."
A vicious chuckle echoed through the dank halls of the tower, sending chills down the backs of even the most fierce of prisoners trapped within.
Outside, the sun was blotted out by a black cloud that spewed forth from Morgoth's tower, and hope dimmed further for both Elves and Men.

~*~

a/n: so, here we are!  Morgoth is growing ever stronger, feeding on the souls of innocent Elves. He's sent Sauron to find the Dwarves, and now the Nazgul roam the land.  Where are the Valar in all of this? What can little old Elrohir do against Morgoth? Where the heck are the Dwarves, anyways? Fear not, the truth will be revealed soon. Tune in for my next update!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List