Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dangerous Crossing  by White Wolf

Chapter Two

The wind was so fierce it didn’t allow him to gain any ground on the precarious balance he was forced to maintain. His grip held him in place, as the driving wind pushed against him, trying to dislodge his hands and send him flying away to his death. His fingers were quickly turning white from the tension and the cold, as he held on for dear life.

Standing totally helpless behind Aragorn were Legolas, Elrohir and Elladan. They were horrified at what they were seeing, but there was absolutely nothing they could do to help their friend and brother. They each shouted out his name and then yelled out for him to hold on. It was one of those things that is often said in a moment of pure reaction, when time for thought would have revealed the instruction as being ridiculously obvious.

Legolas’s heart was twisting in his chest and trying to recover from a few missed beats when he saw what had almost happened to Aragorn.

"What do we do?" the youngest dark-haired twin asked in desperation, his own heart pounding rapidly.

Thinking fast, Legolas said, "I believe I can reach him."

"How?" Elladan asked. "There is no room to maneuver past Estel’s horse, on either side - not even for an elf!"

"It will be a little tricky," Legolas replied, making another obvious statement, "but I think I can work my way over Madir."

"Over?" the twins both said together.

"It is the only way," the archer declared. "As you pointed out, Elladan, I cannot work my way around the horse. I could go under him, but I am afraid that would spook him beyond even Estel’s ability to control him with words. I have no other choice. And Estel has no other chance."

It was a scary plan, yet the only one open to them at the moment. Aragorn could be plucked off the mountain at any moment, because he could not hold on much longer against such a dauntingly strong wind. The mournful howl seemed to be increasing in intensity, as was the snow, which was being driven sideways into the ranger.

It was now or never.

Legolas told his own horse not to follow him, and then he advanced until he was right behind Madir. He spoke to the animal and then placed his hand gently on the horse’s hind quarters. Legolas needed to raise his voice to make the human hear him over the howling wind, but he didn’t want to frighten the animal. It wouldn’t take much to send Madir plunging over the edge.

At Legolas’s touch, the stallion’s skin twitched, and he stamped one foot, but he did not move from his spot on the rocky ledge.

Aragorn had flattened himself against the rock wall, lowering his head to keep the wind-driven snow out of his eyes. He pressed his arms against his body to keep the wind from getting between him and the stone wall he was facing, thus minimizing the force trying to dislodge him. It also offered a small amount of warmth from the biting cold of the wind.

Strong as Aragorn was, this situation was affecting the ranger in a very negative way. He dare not try to relax his hold even the tiniest bit to relieve the pressure on his fingers Yet even so, he was beginning to lose feeling in his hands, as he held onto the delicate balance between tenuous security and absolute oblivion.

Out of the corner of his eye, Aragorn saw movement. Afraid that his horse may be trying to get closer to him, he jerked his head up. It was then that he saw Legolas waving at him, obviously trying to get his attention.

Placing his left ear down on the back of his hands to muffle the sound of the wind as much as possible, Aragorn focused his hearing back toward the Mirkwood prince and strained to hear what Legolas would say.

"I am going to make my way over Madir."

Aragorn’s eyes went wide. His immediate thought was that doing such a thing was much too dangerous. He was about to state that very fact, when he realized that there was nothing else to be done. Besides, arguing with Legolas often got him about as far as arguing with a tree stump would have.

Legolas gently placed his left palm next to his right one on top of Madir’s hind quarters, all the while talking to him in soft, soothing tones. The horse trusted this elf, so he stood stock still as Legolas lifted himself up and settled securely behind his hands. When he was sure Madir was not going to move, the elf placed his hands forward and then moved toward them again. This action was repeated until Legolas reached the base of the animal’s neck.

Reaching forward, Legolas scratched the stallion’s ears and then gave him instructions to lower his head. When Madir complied, the elf slid down until his feet touched the ledge.

Not sparing the time to turn and pat Madir, he simply gave the horse his thanks and quickly covered the few feet that separated him from Aragorn.

Legolas grabbed the ranger’s right arm in a firm grip while reaching behind him and taking a firm hold on Aragorn’s left shoulder.

Once Aragorn was secure in his grasp, Legolas let go of the rock he had been gripping so tightly for what had seemed like an eternity. The wind buffeted him, but Legolas’s hold on him was too strong and neither elf nor ranger did more than sway slightly.

"It doesn’t want to let go," Aragorn said, as he felt the tug of the icy blast that was determined to separate him from the elf, who was just as determined that that wasn’t going to happen.

"Neither do I," came the elf’s simple reply.

"Thank you, Legolas," Aragorn said. His voice easily conveyed his deep appreciation for what the elf had just done.

The two gradually inched their way along the ledge by side-stepping until they reached Madir. They both gave the horse a grateful rub on his velvety nose.

Aragorn looked back and gave both of his brothers a smile of reassurance. He saw the great relief on their faces. "Now what?" the man asked.

"What did you see around the other side?" Elrohir asked.

"More of the same," Aragorn replied sadly. He wished he could give better news, but Legolas’s next words told him that it wouldn’t have mattered what was farther on.

"We cannot go forward, because even if the wind stopped as suddenly as it started, the horses cannot round that sharp a corner."

"We cannot go up nor do any of us wish to go down, at least not from here." Elladan was being his ever-practical self.

Legolas nodded. "That means there is only one way open to us. We must go back the way we came."

Aragorn stared at his blond friend. "We’ve already established that the horses can’t turn around on this narrow ledge."

"No, we cannot. So we will have to back up."

Three pairs of eyes stared at the archer, as if he had suddenly grown another head. What he was suggesting was beyond ridiculous, yet they had to admit, it was the only thing they could possibly do short of staying where they were until they all became nameless skeletons, and their bones eventually blew across the mountain valley far below.

"The horses will be frightened, but we must instill in them the belief that they can do it," Legolas urged. He sternly held his emotions in check, knowing that the horses could sense his unease if he wasn‘t able to control it They had to believe that he was as confident as his voice indicated he was.

The idea of backing four horses back along the narrow ledge was mind-blowing, but the alternative was to give up, sit down and die where they were.

*~*~*~*

To say the next four hours were a nerve-wracking ordeal for the eight beings was a vast understatement. The going was excruciatingly slow, and the tension was palpable. The horses had to be urged, cajoled and finally bribed, as the animals were fed pieces of the apples that their riders all carried for special treats.

Horses do not watch their feet when they move, and not being able to see where they are being asked to go was doubly hard. Therefore, sometimes the steps they took were only a couple of inches, and sometimes they seemed to step in place, not advancing at all. But touching their mounts and talking constantly, each rider kept his horse’s attention on the task at hand.

Finally all eight of them had made their way back - literally - to the tunnel. There was a piece of ledge that extended a few feet to the other side of the entrance.

One at a time, the horses were backed past the tunnel opening and then turned into it. It was a tight squeeze for the large animals, but they each made it and were finally headed forward in reverse order with Elladan leading and Aragorn bringing up the rear.

The only good thing that could be said about the tunnel was that it was sheltered enough to keep the worst of the snow at bay and thus kept it from becoming too icy, a blessing under the circumstances. Still, care had to be taken even here, because one slip could lead to disaster.

*~*~*~*

By the time the exhausted companions and their equally exhausted horses had reached the little meadow, they were met with a snow-covered wonderland and twilight skies. All they wanted to do was start a warm fire, spread out their bedrolls and curl up to sleep.

First, they all hugged each other, not having had the chance until now. They could have been trapped in the trail tunnel or fallen to their deaths at any second along the ledge, so they thanked the Valar that they had all survived with little more than a chill and frayed nerves.

Next, they set about making sure their horses were taken care of. The animals hadn’t known what was going on up on the mountain; they had just trusted their owners. Still, they were nervous and not eager to let the elves or the ranger out of their immediate vicinity. It took a while longer to settled them down.

Once everyone had taken care of the regular tasks of setting up a camp and had settled down with dried meat and bread for their evening meal, they couldn’t help but discuss the day‘s bizarre events. No one could do more that speculate on what had confronted them. It was without doubt the strangest adventure they had ever encountered, and they knew how incredibly lucky they were to be alive instead of trapped in an impossible situation on the mountain in the dark.

The next morning they packed up and returned to Mirkwood, deciding it best to spend the winter in Legolas’s woodland home, much to King Thranduil’s delight.

Legolas thought it prudent not to mention the ordeal to his father. It was partly to spare him the concern and partly because Legolas wanted to be able to leave Mirkwood again before he sailed West.

The four companions decided they would tackle the High Pass the next Spring and see if the same strange conditions still existed or if they had been some kind of aberration. One thing they were sure of: It had not been an hallucination or a dream.

*~*~*~*

In late Spring, Legolas, Aragorn, Elladan and Elrohir returned to the Misty Mountains and found that the trail they had always known was right where it should be. They had proceeded to make it over the High Pass to Rivendell with no trouble. The four companions came to realize that what had happened in the Misty Mountains that day was one of those mysteries of life that frustratingly never get solved, because they never found out the reason the tunnel had come into existence in the first place or the reason it had vanished. Neither did they learn if the mysterious wind that had suddenly blown up had been just a freaky act of Nature or one devised by the unseen hand of Sauron himself.

Either way, Middle-earth would never know just how close it had come to losing the future Hope of Men or how near a thing it had been that the Dark Lord had almost won it all.

The End





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List