Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Aleglain  by Redheredh

->> = >> = >> = >> = >> = >> = >> = >> = >> = >> = >> -

Prologue – What should be known...

After a long absence, Elwë returned with Melian to his people.  Those who welcomed back their king and his queen had taken a new name: the Eglath, the Forsaken.  Elwë learned that Ulmo, the Lord of Waters, had brought the Lonely Island for a miraculous second time to transport the Teleri to Aman as he had the Vanyar and Noldor earlier.  Deliverance had come for the Eldar who thought themselves left stranded.  But at that time, Elwë was still missing.  The Forsaken were the people who would not leave without their Aran, their beloved high chieftain who had led their nation on the Great Journey.

However, being loving parents, most that chose to remain behind for his sake wished for their children, at least, to live in the promised paradise of Eldamar, in the Light of the Trees, in the presence of the Valar.  So it was that Elmo, Elwë’s youngest brother, the Prince of those who stayed in Beleriand, put his young son into the care of Olwë, Elwë’s next younger brother who had become King of those who would depart to Aman.  And Olwë became Galadhon’s foster-father, promising to raise him as one of his own.

The Eglath included those who had stayed behind with Nowë, the elder lord known as Cirdan.  With Elwë Singollo’s return, those who were once called the Lindar, who came to be called the Teleri, who had called themselves the Eglath, and were always the Eluwaith, would become the Sindar, the Grey-elves.

The children of the Prince of the Sindar would always watch over their people in Ennor - lead, protect, and rule them – just as he had done, even after the Last Ship sailed.  Even when the price for such loyalty was life in paradise.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List