Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Vault of the Dead  by Soledad

The Vault of the Dead

by Soledad

Author’s notes:

For disclaimer, rating, etc. see the Introduction.

Some elements of Théoden’s funeral are from theMiercinga Théod website, an excellent source if one is interested in pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon beliefs and their modern practices. Ierfe Húsel is a great feast in general, and Líchtenung is, of course, a funeral.

 


Epilogue

In the next morn, the Stone Flower of Ramandur was like an empty shell again. Spanturo came at dawn to the chambers assigned to the visitors in the House of the Hunters, and after given some breakfast, they were escorted out of the city. No Dark Elves showed themselves anywhere. Only Mithrellas had come to speak her farewells.

She had been talking to Faramir half the night, grateful to hear about her descendants but swearing him to secrecy, saying that it would do no good to anyone to know that she was still there, as she would be beyond their reach anyway. However, she did give Legolas messages to deliver to her northern kin, of whom a few old friends were still lingering in Middle-earth, as she knew that her fellow Elves would keep her secret.

Spanturo then led them down on the other side of the Mountain, so that they would be there for Théoden-King’s burial ceremony in time. When they arrived, the wain of Théoden had already come to Edoras, where all its escort was resting. The Golden Hall had been arrayed with fair hangings and it was filled with light, and there was held the highest Ierfe Húsel that it had known since the days of its building.

After three days, the Men of the Mark prepared the Líchtenung of Théoden, which began with a Minni, a counting of the fallen King’s deeds, followed by the placement of grave goods and a dirge, traditionally sung by a female relative, who in this case was the Lady Éowyn. After that, the body of Théoden was laid in a house of stone with his arms and many other fair things that he had possessed, and over him was raised a great mound, covered with green turves of grass and of white evermind. And now there were eight mounds on the east-side of the Barrowfield.

Then twelve Riders of the King’s House upon white horses rode round about the barrow and sang together a song of Théoden Thengel's son that Gléowine his minstrel made, and he made no other song after. This was followed by another Húsel, this time a funeral feast, during which the first and second closest heirs of the late King, interspersed by boasts and bragafulls, and the new King was greeted and the betrothal of Faramir and the Lady Éowyn announced, which proved to be the round of much more singing and drinking, celebrating Théoden’s life rather than grieving his death.

When the feast was over, those who were to go took leave of King Éomer. Aragorn and his knights, and the people of Lórien and of Rivendell, made ready to ride; but Faramir and Imrahil remained at Edoras for a while. Neither Faramir, nor Gandalf or Legolas did speak of that which they had seen and learned in the hidden city of the Dark Elves again, not even among each other.

In the following year, Faramir married Éowyn of Rohan, and another year later, Gandalf finally sailed to the West, in the company of Elrond and Galadriel and many fair Elves, and with them went Bilbo and Frodo, for all the Ring-bearers were meant to pass into the Blessed Land, where they could find rest and healing from their labours and burdens. In the light of those events, the short visit by the Dark Elves seemed not truly important, and in the end, it was nearly forgotten.

Only on his deathbed did Faramir entrust his secret to the King, telling Aragorn whom he had met in the Vault of the Dead. And the King spoke of it to no-one, for he knew that some secrets better remain forgotten. And thus the Moriquendi of the White Mountains were allowed to continue their life in secrecy, unbothered by mortal Men.

~The End~

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List