Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vilwarin's Vignettes  by Vilwarin

The king's clothes


The sun was shining brightly as Aragorn left the tent, momentarily blinding him. The whole camp was a frenzy of activity. People bustled past him without even acknowledging him in their hurry to get everything ready for departure.


“This night we will fall asleep in soft featherbeds, cousin,” Haldor said as he joined Aragorn in front of his tent. “You clean up nicely, you know.”


Aragorn picked at his tunic and smiled. “I have to, do I not? But I fear that it does not quite fit. My new Steward brought them here himself to make sure that I look presentable. But it seems that I'm either too tall, or too thin. Faramir had an almost apologetic look on his face when he told me that the clothes were Denethor's.”


Haldor made a sound as if he were choking. “How apt for you to be crowned king and enter the city in Denethor's clothes. If he had yet a body, he would be sure to turn in his grave.”


“This is not something to joke about, Haldor,” Aragorn said sternly. “And I am not wearing Denethor's clothing to spite him. Faramir promised to have a seamstress sent over to me as soon as possible.”


“Rather an army of them. By the time your bride arrives, you will have a full wardrobe of expenive garments to choose from.”


Aragorn turned his head away at the thought of Arwen. She had given him a promise many years ago and renewed it the day they parted. There was really no reason to worry about that. He must wait; Rivendell was many miles away, after all. He longed for her and really did not care what or if he wore anything. But then again, it would not be such a good idea to go naked, at least not publicly. That would have to wait until their private meeting. He found himself grinning at the last thought.


“Two tharni for the knowledge of where that smug grin comes from.”


“My thoughts, dear friend, are my own. We should rather concern ourselves with my impending coronation. Faramir promised to take care of the particulars, but there is one thing that he does not know. But now let us go inside so that you can help me put on the rest of these clothes. I could not figure out what to do with some of them. And Haldor?”


“Hm?”


“Promise me not to tell anyone that I needed help!”


“Promised,” Haldor chuckled and followed Aragorn to puzzle out the king's clothes.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List