Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Wee Ones  by cathleen

"Tulips and Primroses"  

 

Pippin’s toes brushed across the soft grass as he rocked back and forth, moving the swing slightly. He spun the delicate primrose in his fingers in the same pattern he twirled the swing, brushing his palm back and forth across Tulip’s ears with his free hand until his knitted friend grunted that he was going to rub a hole in them if he didn’t stop soon!

“Oh! I’m very sorry, my lass.” Pippin gazed across the meadow, taking on a dreamy expression while his thoughts danced back and forth, recalling his vision of the wee child, as he wrestled with his promise. He slanted a look at Tulip, who now rested in his lap, and was confronted immediately with the knowing stare; she knew him too well. Pippin sighed. Tulip clucked at him and requested he place her on the ground in front of him so they could talk. Pippin obliged her, bracing himself for what he already knew she had to say.

“I know! I made a promise to Mum,” Pippin said, hurrying to his own defense.

Tulip said nothing; she simply stared.

Pippin squirmed, ever so slightly. “I already know I can’t go past the meadow.”

Tulip remained silent.

Pippin rolled his eyes at the sky and took a deep breath, preparing his argument. “But I’m really much older now and Mum and Da made that rule so long ago - what does rationalizing mean?” Pippin raised an eyebrow at Tulip’s snort.

“Well, how can I know I’m doing it if I don’t even know what that means? You might at least explain what you’re talking about.”

This time Tulip laughed aloud. Oh my, but her lad was good at twisting his reasoning to suit himself, even if he didn’t realize it. And that really was an impressive pout!

“It’s not very nice of you to laugh at me.” The pout grew into a scowl, as he kicked at the long grass with his big toe. Tulip watched him fondly. Yes, he was clearly irritated with her. 

“What do you mean I’m trying to avoid the matter? I don’t even know what it is!”

Yes, you do. You simply don’t wish to say so.

“No, I do not. Hmph.”

Pippin wound his arms around the rope that supported the swing on each side and set it moving, mumbling to himself as he swung back and forth. The thought crossed his mind to just leave Tulip behind this time. The more he considered it, the better the notion sounded, until he chanced a look at his friend and his eyes widened in shock. Pippin rubbed them hard and looked again.

Tulip still regarded him calmly from her vantage point at his feet. He could have sworn she was actually standing up on her hind hooves with her front ones planted firmly on her round hips, in an eerie imitation of his mother. Pippin wondered if he had spent too much time in the hot sun? He shook his head to clear it and resumed his close study of the yellow and white primrose.

The two companions shared their silent repose for several more minutes. Tulip’s heart softened at the sight of her irritated lad and asked to be picked up. Wordlessly, Pippin retrieved her, placing her on his shoulder in her usual position, but he continued to sulk. Tulip smiled lovingly and reached out with one soft hoof to pat his ear. He turned his head and couldn’t help giggling at the piglet’s imitation of his sulk.

“Yes, I know you’d rather see me laugh than brood.” He patted her head. “It’s just that. . .well, growing up seems to take so long. When will I be allowed to go further than the meadow by myself? What? You’re not sure?” Pippin started the swing moving again and gave a snort of impatience.

“Where did this come from?” He held the flower up to her snout and grinned when she sneezed. “You don’t know either. It’s a mystery, Tulip! Perhaps we should go exploring and try to solve it?” He gazed longingly across the meadow. “I suppose we’ll find plenty of places to search nearby.”

Tulip nodded enthusiastically, pleased that her lad was at last coming around to seeing things in a different light. She reminded him that his cousin was coming for a nice visit and they would all have a great deal of fun together. Pippin brightened at the reminder and Tulip patted Pippin’s fair curls. She knew he got lonely for other children even though he was very good at entertaining himself. She’d heard his mother speaking of the lack of playmates for her little one just last night, and knew Eglantine was pleased that Merry was coming to spend some time, as he did each summer. Well, the sooner the better, because Pippin definitely needed some distracting. After all, there was only so much she could do by herself!

“Tulip, tell me truthfully. Did you see the wee lass too?”

She’d known he would get around to asking this question, but she could give him no less than the truth. Tulip nodded and nuzzled his ear with her snout. No, I’m not sure who she is. Don’t worry, my laddie, the answers will come with time.

Pippin sighed again. “In time. . .that’s what grown-ups always say. But just when is ‘in time’? Is it tomorrow, or next week?” Tulip chuckled. “Or perhaps next month. Maybe it will be so at Harvest? Or Yuletide?”

Tulip’s chuckle became a laugh. There’s my boy. You have your cheek back again!

“Yes, but--!”

No, come now. Let’s go exploring. Merry will be here soon, perhaps by teatime. And I imagine your mum will allow us to take a walk further from the meadow as long as he is with us, yes?

“Hmm, I think you’re right. I’m sure Merry would like that too! Thank you, Tulip. I feel ever so much better now. Let’s go see if Tomias is in the barn. Maybe we can play a trick on him!”

Pippin leaped off the swing in midair causing Tulip to squeak her surprise. Pippin caught her up in his hands before she tumbled to the ground, and she scrambled up into his shirt collar as soon as he put her on his shoulder. She tugged at the tip of his ear, only slightly annoyed at the fright, but not wanting him to think she’d let him get away with it completely unscathed.

“Sorry!” Pippin told her gaily as he skipped towards the farmyard. Hmph, the piglet snorted. The least you might do is pretend you really mean it.

Pippin ignored the barb and trotted after Lily. The white kitty was just coming around the corner of the barn. Spotting them, she hurried over and curled her silky body around Pippin’s legs. “Hullo Lily! And how are you today? Have you seen Dizzy?” The cat answered with a chirp and he looked in the direction Lily had turned. “He went that way, huh? Come, let’s find him!”

He trotted off with Tulip in tow, leaving Lily to spread herself upon the cool grass. She’d be quite content to have a nap under the great oak.

“Ah, and what are you up to today, my boy?” Paladin winked at his neighbor, Togo, and Uncle Teobald Took, as Pippin entered the barn. “Is Tulip keeping you out of mischief? Or is mischief finding you anyway?”

Pippin ambled up to the workbench where his father was busy repairing a chair leg while the workers pitched fresh hay for the cows.

“Look, Da!” Pippin held up the primrose.

Paladin put down his hammer and reached for the flower, raising his brow. “Hmm, I didn’t think we had any primroses growing in the fields close by. You didn’t pick this from your mother’s garden without her permission, did you lad?”

Pippin shook his head emphatically. “No, it was in my hand after I woke up on our picnic. Ask Tulip!” Pippin waggled the toy at his father.

“You woke up with it. You’re certain of that, eh?” Pippin nodded. “Well, that’s very strange then.” Paladin grinned and ruffled his son’s hair, handing back the primrose.

“Aye, it’s a mystery and we’re going to solve it.” He placed Tulip back on his shoulder and trotted off, heading towards the back of the barn.

“What an imagination that boy of yours has, Pad!” Togo Burrows chuckled, after Pippin was out of earshot.

“Yes indeed, that he does.” Paladin mused, watching Pippin until he was out of sight. “I’m frequently astounded by some of the things that come out of his mouth.” He turned back to his work with a slight shake of his head.

“Hmph! Takes after the Took’s, he does,” Uncle Teo grumbled before sticking his pipe back in his mouth.

The pair of friends spent some time exploring the lower regions of the barn, closely inspecting all the stalls for primroses or signs of the lass in the white frock. Finally, Pippin shrugged and climbed the long ladder to the loft, plunking himself down in the corner and laying back. He gathered an armful of the sweet smelling straw and inhaled deeply, then grinned impishly at Tulip. “I love the loft,” he sighed. Tulip agreed and watched him, a question nagging her.

“What is it?” Pippin sat up, puzzled, absent-mindedly brushing some of the straw from his clothing. “Is something wrong?” Tulip asked him why he hadn’t mentioned the lass to his father. After all, that seemed a more extraordinary event than finding the primrose.

Pippin wrinkled up his brow and thought hard. “I’m not sure,” he answered slowly. “Umm, maybe I forgot about it?”

Tulip quickly reminded him it was wrong to tell a lie. Pippin felt his cheeks grow warm at the gentle chiding.

“I know. But I really don’t know. You do believe me, don’t you?”

The piglet considered her lad for a moment then nodded and reassured him, telling him perhaps they could find the answer together.

“All right.” Pippin held Tulip up in front of him and regarded her solemnly. “I promise I won’t ever lie to you, Tulip.”

The piglet chuckled and reached out with a supple hoof to pat his cheek, and told him she already knew that.

“Good!” Pippin’s eyes took on a mischievous twinkle. “Let’s play – tag, you’re it!” Giggling, the youngster plopped the piggy in the hay and crawled away fast on hands and knees, tempting her to follow.

Tulip rolled her eyes at her lad’s trick and quickly joined in the fun, charging off to tag her favourite lad. They romped around the loft, tossing straw and taking turns tagging each other for some time, before collapsing in a heap at last and laughing uproariously.

“That was fun!” Pippin declared, heaving a final armful of straw into the air and laughing as it fell down all around them in a shower. Tulip had to agree. Although she was out of breath, she’d happily have another go shortly.

“Yes!” Pippin’s excited cry caused him to miss his father’s first call.

Paladin’s next shout was accompanied by Dizzy’s baying voice and the sound of chickens scattering, their anxious clucking letting Pippin know that something was happening below. Pippin crawled over to the edge of the loft and saw his father standing below. Paladin gestured impatiently. “Come down from there, lad! Your cousin’s just arriving.”

Pippin squealed with delight and scooped Tulip up, tucking her safely inside his shirt before hurrying down the ladder. He skipped the last two steps and leaped nimbly to the floor, causing Paladin to frown. Pippin shrugged innocently, grinning up at him. His father hurried him along with a gentle swat to the seat of his britches. “Go on now, Merry’s already busy taking his things inside.”

Pippin took off running, eager to tell his cousin all that had happened earlier that day. Dizzy followed, the hound’s frenzied yipping increasing as he ran along beside his young master. Pippin spied Merry coming back outside, and sprinted straight into his arms. “Merry! You’re here! Oh, I’ve so much to tell you and there’s so much we have to do! And look what I have!” Pippin thrust the primrose at him while he continued to chatter.

“And I saw some of the oddest things in the meadow, and…” his voice dropped to a rather loud, conspiratorial whisper, “there’s a wee lass hiding in the woods, just beyond the pasture and she paid me a visit and I think she’s the one who gave me the flower and we have to go find her so will you ask Mum if we can go? I know she’ll say yes as long as you’re with me, and I’m ever so anxious to find out who she is, and if she’s really the one who gave me the primrose and, oh Merry, I’ve missed you so much and we’ve so much to do while you’re here--” Pippin gagged when Merry’s hand descended over his mouth.

“Calm down Pip! I don’t have any idea what you’re going on about. One thing at a time, all right?” Pippin nodded and Merry removed his hand. “Down, Dizzy! Now, take a deep breath - no, take several before you say another thing.”

Pippin rolled his eyes. “Tulip’s laughing at us, you know.”

“I don’t care, if you don’t settle down you’re going to swoon.”

Pippin drew in several obligatory breaths before continuing more slowly. “Merry, please, we have to go for a stroll across the meadow. It’s farther than I’m allowed by myself, I have to go see something – please!”

Merry knelt and placed his hands on his little cousin’s shoulders. “We will, Pip. I’m sure Aunt Tina will allow you to go with me. But, why all the excitement about beyond the pasture?”

“The lass, Merry! I know I really, really saw someone!”

Merry studied him for a moment. He was such an imp, and Merry felt like laughing aloud at the sight before him. Pippin’s clothes were rumpled; he had a streak of dirt across his chin, and another trailing down one cheek. His favourite piglet was peeking out the top of his shirt collar, and there were bits of yellow straw in his tousled hair. Rising, Merry draped an arm around his cousin and steered him towards the farmhouse. “Let’s get washed up before your mother sees you Pip, and then you can tell me all about it.”

Dizzy tilted his head, watching the door bang shut, cutting off Pippin’s continued chatter, and the indulgent chuckling of his older cousin.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List