Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rider: Pestilence  by Branwyn

Saruman withdrew his hand from above the sphere and unconsciously ran his thumb across his finger tips in an almost lusting fashion. He took a deep breath and moved silently to the balcony, his eyes slowly scanning the darkened vistas before him. The wizard's eyes were keener and more far-seeing than a man's, yet that which he most desired to look upon – and to hold – was hidden from him.

His last, best hope of finding the Ruling Ring was the Stone of Orthanc, one of the seven palantir brought by Elendil from Numenor. Of the seven originally made, two were lost in the shipwreck of Arvedui Last-king. The palantir of Osgiliath was lost during Gondor's civil war and the Ithil-stone was assumed destroyed by the defenders of Minas Ithil before that city was captured in 2002. The Elostirion-stone was in the possession of the elves as it looked only to the Undying Lands. The remaining two known stones were the one in the chamber behind him and the Anor-stone in Minas Tirith, which Saruman believed the Steward of Gondor had been employing since the death of his father Ecthelion, if not before. If Denethor of Gondor could bend the palantir to his will, then so too could Saruman the Wise, one chosen by the Valar as an emissary to Middle-earth!

Sitting those thoughts temporarily aside, Saruman turned his mind to his guests and what he had learned from them this day.

Though Eomund of Rohan and Boromir of Gondor were both well-respected leaders, it was clear to Saruman that the son of Denethor was the stronger willed of the two. There had been a flicker of surprise in the Gondorian's eyes when Saruman had greeted the Marshall of *Thengel* King, and then those same eyes had widened almost imperceptibly when *Theoden* King's brother by law had let the misnomer go unchallenged. The Steward's heir probably assumed the Marshall had held his tongue to avoid offending their host, but would be unlikely to mention it to Eomund, due to the embarrassment it would cause.

Saruman smiled. What would Boromir of Gondor think if he were to learn Eomund had no recollection at all of the brief conversation? It had been a simple, but telling test, one easily excused as a slip of the tongue. Yet from it, Saruman had learned something of great value…Eomund was like the majority of men…those who fell under the spell of the White Wizard's voice. He would remember hearing Saruman's pleasant tones, but would have no memory of what had actually been said, though he would feel certain that he and Saruman had been in complete agreement.

Where Eomund was in the vast majority, Boromir unfortunately fell into the rare minority. Few were the men who could withstand the enchantment in Saruman's voice. The wizard inwardly cursed the fact that Denethor's Heir was one of them. It would make his task more challenging, but it could still be done.

All he need do was to have Boromir in the room when he broke the news to Eomund that there was no help for Rohan's plague in Saruman's books or scrolls. Indeed, that the only possible aid for Rohan was from the palantir, which could only be lawfully used by Denethor or his heir. The young commander of Gondor would find it difficult – nay, impossible - to refuse Saruman's offer of the Stone of Orthanc when in the presence of the Marshall. To refuse was to display open contempt for the oaths exchanged by Eorl and Cirion and all but ensure a permanent breech in relations between Rohan and Gondor.

The only other thing Saruman need do was to make sure the Steward's Heir did not face Minas Tirith when he utilized the palantir, for how unfortunate would it be for Boromir to look into the stone and find his father looking back?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List