Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of a Father and Son  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: Don’t own it, never will.


                                                           Chapter 17

                                                   Another day and night passed uneventfully. Haldir and his patrol again found no orcs, but orc sign was plentiful. That the elves found sign but no orcs unsettled them greatly. Orcs had not the capacity to behave with subtlety; this indicated a greater intelligence behind their actions. In the Keep, both the elves and the humans grew weary of waiting for this unknown enemy to show its hand. Of them all Legolas was probably in the best spirits, having been allowed only that day to again take up his bow. Immediately after breakfast, he had gone directly to the courtyard to the archery range to which Lord Feren had given him complete access.


                                                    He had worried that the week of inactivity would greatly affect his aim and stamina, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they had suffered but a little. Even rusty, his skill was enough to inspire awe in those who observed his practicing. Legolas was not a vain elf, the reaction of the humans embarrassed him more than anything but not wishing to be rude, he bore it gracefully. He grinned as he noticed little Lilia peeking around the short wall around the well near the archery range. The girl had become something of a shadow to him, much to the amusement of the twins and Estel who teased him unmercifully over it, and to the dismay of her mother who did all she could to dissuade her wayward youngster from following him about the keep. It seemed Lilia was something of an escape artist, slipping free of whatever and whomever had been designated to confine her. He caught her eye and winked conspiratorily. She grinned and winked back, slipping into a shadowed space to watch him shoot. Legolas continued his exercise until he felt the sore muscles in his shoulder had had enough for the day and wisely halted, unwilling to be banned from the archery range again for overexhertion. He bowed graciously to the group of watchers, gathered his arrows, unstrung his bow, and made his way to Lilia’s hiding place as the crowd dispersed.


                                                 “You may come out now, tithen min, everyone is gone,” he chuckled lightly. To his surprise and delight, she launched herself from her hiding place, flinging her arms around his neck and gave him a tight hug as he knelt in front of her. He laughed, hugging her back. Legolas had little experience with children, even of his own race, being the youngest elf in his father’s palace. He found himself wishing that he had younger siblings, so charmed by this young human was he. “What are you up to out here by yourself?”


                                                 “I am not by myself,” Lilia corrected him gravely. “I am with you. I wanted to see you shoot arrows. Do you ever miss?”


                                                 “Not often, tithen min, because I have practiced a great deal. Will your mother not worry when she finds you gone? I would not want her to worry.”


                                                “She is busy helping to cook luncheon. She will not miss me until the food is done. Does your mother worry about you?” The girl was curiosity incarnate, he had no doubt.


                                                 “She may, I do not know for certain. She died when I was a baby, so I cannot ask her.” He smiled a bit sadly, as he always did when speaking of his Naneth. His response prompted another hug, and a sympathetic kiss upon his cheek from the child, which made him grin again.


                                                  “Oh, are you very sad? I was very sad when my brother, Saril, died. He was mean to me sometimes, but I still miss him. You looked very sad when you talked about her, you must miss her.” She patted his arm. “It is all right to miss people who die, you know. Mamma said so.” His grin widened, he felt deep sympathy for the man who would court this little one someday. Whoever it would be did not stand a chance with this little charmer. She seemed to expect an answer, so he obliged.


                                                   “I really do not remember her at all. What I know of her, my father and others who knew her have told me. I think I miss the idea of a mother more than anything, if that makes sense.” Legolas stood, securing his bow in place on his back then reached down to take the child’s hand. “Come; let us get you back so that your mother will not worry.” She skipped happily along beside him, chattering about any subject that occurred to her child’s mind as they walked. Before they had reached the doors to the Keep, they were met by an older girl who bore a strong resemblance to Lilia.


                                                “Lilia, you cannot keep running away like this! Mamma will be beside herself with worry if she finds you gone; you know how she has been since we lost Saril! Shame on you! You know better!” Lilia bore the scolding with remarkable grace, looking up at her sister from beneath her lashes, hands clasped behind her back. As soon as the tirade ceased, she treated her sister to the same embrace as she had Legolas, hugging and kissing her cheek while making her apology.


                                                 “I am so sorry, Zania! I just wanted to see Legolas shoot his bow. I was coming right back, I promise! Oh, Zania, this is my friend, Legolas. He is the best archer, ever! You should see it, he never misses. And he doesn’t have a mother, is that not so very sad? I hugged him and made him feel better, though, and he smiled.” The torrent of words would likely have gone on at length if Zania had not gently shushed her sister. Zania made a curtsey to Legolas before addressing him.


                                                 “I hope Lilia has not been too trying, my lord. She seems to have taken a liking to you. Thank you for bringing her back,” Zania spoke shyly, not daring to raise her eyes to look at him. Her sister made an exasperated sound.


                                                    “Zania, it is just Legolas. You do not need to be so silly!” Horrified, Zania clamped her hand over her sister’s mouth.


                                                     “Lilia! That is disrespectful! Please, my lord do not take offense, she is just a child and knows no better.” Zania looked up, intending to say more, but was shocked silent at the sight of Legolas shaking helplessly with silent mirth. The look on her face undid him, and he lost his battle, laughing aloud. His laughter was infectious, and soon all three were laughing uproariously. Legolas regained control first.


                                                     “Peace, Lady Zania, I am not offended in the least. I find Lilia to be completely charming.” He grinned at the small escapee who grinned back, totally unrepentant.


                                                       “Please, my lord, it is just Zania. Thank you for being kind to her, everything has been difficult since our brother died and there has been little attention to spare for her, I am afraid.” She clamped her mouth shut suddenly, chagrined that she had said more than she had intended, afraid that she had offended him again. A wealth of sad understanding filled his eyes and she found herself wondering if all elves were this expressive or if it was only him.


                                                 “I understand loss only too well, believe me. Do not feel it necessary to apologize on that score. Did it happen recently?” As he spoke, he shifted to a kneeling position, partly because Lilia was begging for a hug from him and partly because he did not wish to intimidate this grieving child. He lifted the smaller girl onto his knee, nestling her into a comforting embrace, feeling no small amount of consternation at his reaction to these two humans.


                                                  “Two months ago, but it seems not that long. He was only 15, two years older than me. It was on a hunting trip with our father.” She swallowed, unable to continue. He nodded, thinking of the many friends he had lost to orcs over the years.


                                                   “I am sorry, little one. I wish it had not happened.” The child in his arms buried her face in his neck, and he stroked her back, rocking her and murmuring soft words in Sindarin to her. To his amazement, she relaxed and her breathing slowed. The child had gone to sleep. He stood carefully, indicating to her sister that he would carry the child to her resting place. Zania made as if to protest, but the look on his face stopped her and, reluctantly, she led him to their quarters. She led him to the pallet she shared with her sister and he gently laid the child down, careful not to wake her. Bowing to her sister, he took his leave.


                                                      He was lost in thought as he made his way to the Great Hall.  True he had lost a great many friends, but he had not lost a sibling. He found it humbling to consider so great a loss next to his own. Rieon and Ilmrie had been close friends, but they had not been as close as siblings to him. If he were honest, of all his friends, only Estel and the twins could claim so close a bond with him, especially Estel. In addition, his father had survived with hardly a scratch. He had a very great deal to be grateful for, he decided. So deep in thought was he that he did not notice Thranduil’s approach until the elder elf touched his arm. Startled, he met his father’s concerned gaze.


                                                       “What heavy thoughts keep you so preoccupied that you notice nothing else, ion-nin? Do you need my ear again?” Thranduil’s concern was evident even to those who did not know him. Legolas smiled reassuringly at him.


                                                        “Nay, Ada, I am surprisingly well. I believe I understand now, better than I did even after our conversation.  It is surprising that knowledge is found in the most unlikely of places, is it not?” He shook his head in wonder, and then grinned at the look of confusion on his father’s face. He laughed then explained, “Ada, I have been dealt a most humbling lesson by a small, exceptionally bold human and her sister. No matter how keenly we feel the losses we have suffered; there are always others who have suffered as much or more. It is amazing, is it not, that they can endure and carry on despite their short and sometimes bitter lives. For all that we have existed for long before they and will for long after, we could still learn a thing or two from them.” He held his father’s eyes for a moment. “You may disagree with me, Ada, but this is how I see it.” 


                                           “Legolas, I do not necessarily disagree, I merely wish you to exercise caution. We have had this discussion before; you know my thoughts on this. If the little one has brought you some insight that will help in your healing I am grateful. I simply do not wish you to add to your future heartaches by befriending more mortals. You are an adult and I do not wish to treat you as if you were not so I will not attempt to forbid you to associate with whomever you choose. I simply worry for you and would not see you hurt.”


                                            “Adar, there are no guarantees that even my elven friends will not be killed, this week is proof of that! I would not have traded the friendships I had with Rieon and Ilmrie, even had I known how those friendships would end. It is the same with Estel. I know that one day he will die, but I plan to enjoy his friendship and his company as much as I can until that day and I will never regret being his friend, even then.” Thranduil stared at his son in wonder. Legolas was not given to much speech as a rule, and ever rarer still was such a passionate outpouring from him.


                                              “That makes twice this week that I have been fairly rebuked by mere children. When did you become so wise, ion-nin? That is something your Naneth might have said to me. Only do remember that when you do have to face grief at the loss of any mortal you form friendship with that you have my love and it would be the death of me to lose you. I will say no more to you on this subject.”  Thranduil favored him with a slight, pained smile. “ Now, to change the subject, shall we see how much food you can stuff into that thin frame of yours while I attempt to find something edible in all that?” he jibed, indicating the long table that was again laden with food. Legolas laughingly agreed and they moved toward the table to do just that.


                                                After a luncheon spent amiably arguing with each other, Elrond, Estel and the twins, they all made their way to Lord Feren’s study to meet with Feren, Narilt, and Haldir and discuss what action needed to be taken to strengthen the Keep’s defenses before the elves departed. As soon as Elrond deemed Legolas strong enough to travel and fight if need be the elves would be leaving for Imladris and they wished to be able to do so with the knowledge that Greenglade Keep would not fall to orcs when they were gone. For his part, Haldir was still uneasy about the out of character behavior of the orcs, and made that known in no uncertain terms. He argued that not only could the Keep be in peril, but the elves could be playing into the hands of the unknown enemy by leaving without more knowledge of the enemy’s plans or movements. None could refute his logic, so the decision was made to employ both day and night patrols in hopes of gathering some intelligence about the reason behind the orcs’ activity in the area.


                                                 Haldir and the Lorien elves were to take the night patrols, accompanied by Elladan and Elrohir who would never willingly miss an opportunity to exterminate some orcs. Estel volunteered to accompany the day patrol, so that at least one elven trained set of eyes was on that patrol. Legolas, chafing slightly at his restricted level of activity, volunteered to provide the human archers with the benefit of his experience and skill in that area by drilling with them. Thranduil deigned to lower himself to instructing the human swordsmen, while Elrond elected to see to the preparation of the medical supplies and healing staff. That they all felt that something was stirring against them was evident even though none voiced the notion.

Cliffies again!  Evil author grins evil grin and departs laughing to the keyboard to dream up the next chapter.

                                                    





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List