Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of a Father and Son  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: Don’t own it, never will.


                                                               Chapter 14


                                                  Over the next three days, Legolas’ health continued to improve. He was still not permitted to so much as lift a weapon, but he was present whenever the twins and Estel practiced with theirs, offering advice and good-natured insults to all three with equanimity. The guardsmen had become accustomed to their presence, and in truth had become quite fond of them. The guards had made a rather cozy resting place for the injured member of the group out of rugs used to pad the floor of the salle during unarmed combat training so that Legolas need not return to his room if he felt the need to rest. In return, any guardsmen who wished to do so were invited to participate.


                                                    After their daily council with Lord Feren, Thranduil and Elrond made their way to the salle. The council had only served to unsettle all parties. Indications of large parties of orcs were all over the woods between Greenglade Keep and the mountains as well as between the Keep and Imladris. A messenger bird from Imladris had brought news of orc sign on the very outskirts of the valley as well. Elrond had hoped to bring re-enforcements from Imladris, but could not afford to weaken its defenses. The warriors from Lorien had volunteered to journey to Greenglade Keep to assist in its defense if needed and were expected by evening. Both the Imladris Lord and the King of Mirkwood felt the need to spend some time in the presence of their high spirited offspring to offset the gloom left by the council.  


                                                     They entered the salle to find Elladan and Estel the center of attention as they sparred with their swords. As they approached, Elladan neatly disarmed Estel, spun around behind his opponent and smacked him across the buttocks with the flat of his sword. The look of shocked dismay on Estel’s face elicited chuckles from all watching the bout. Elladan bowed sardonically to his foster brother, offering him the sword that had been wrested from his hand. Estel snatched the sword back, a fierce scowl darkening his features. A hand on his shoulder stopped whatever retort he had on the tip of his tongue before it could be uttered. He turned and was shocked to find Thranduil next to him, an amused smirk on the Elven king’s ageless face.


                                                “Estel, may I have the use of your sword for a moment?” Thranduil permitted himself a slight, decidedly evil smile. Estel nodded, stunned as he handed the sword over without a word. Thranduil hefted it, assessing its weight and balance for a moment before assuming a challenging pose opposite Elladan. “Now, elfling let us see you perform that pattern once more,” he commanded eyes gleaming in anticipation. Elladan rose to the challenge, raising his blade in salute before moving into position. As Elladan began the move that had disarmed Estel, Thranduil dropped to one knee, spinning and came up under Elladan’s guard. Locking Elladan’s sword with his, he wrenched it from the younger elf’s grasp, and in one smooth motion, spun full around rising to his feet to hold the point of his sword at his opponent’s unprotected neck. Elladan’s eyes widened to the size of saucers. Silence reigned for a moment, and then applause broke out from the group of observers. Thranduil raised the blade of his weapon in salute, first to Elladan then to the others. Legolas’ grin stretched from ear to ear as he applauded as heartily as any of the others, despite the fact that he had seen this move many times, and no few of them from the perspective that Elladan now had. Elladan gracefully accepted his defeat, bowing to Thranduil. The sound of someone clearing their throat behind him caused Thranduil to turn.


                                                  “I would very much like you to teach that move of yours to my sons, Thranduil, if you would be so kind.” Elrond smiled at the three eager nods that the request prompted. Thranduil replied with a curt nod af assent and motioned for the three to stand back and watch. He ran through the pattern slowly, pausing to give instruction on each motion, then ran them through each motion repeatedly until they had achieved a measure of competency at it.


                                                    “I expect this to be practiced. If I am not here, Legolas knows this move well and can instruct you. Instruct only, ion-nin, “he turned to level a sharp look at his son.


                                                      “As you wish, Ada, “Legolas replied with a slight grin, for once not protesting his restrictions. Thranduil merely arched a brow at his cheeky offspring. Legolas’ grin grew a measure, but he made no further comment. Thranduil frowned, his years of experience in parenting Legolas telling him that the younger elf was definitely up to no good. Legolas gave him what Thranduil had long called his “innocent elfling “look raising his father’s suspicion several levels.


                                                   He is most assuredly on the mend, Thranduil thought.  What in Eru’s name has he got in his mind to do?   A swiftly stifled snicker from the direction of the three younger members of their group made his frown deepen.  Correction: What do THEY have in their minds to do?   He shifted his gaze to Elrond, noting a frown very similar to his own gracing the Imladris lord’s countenence. Elrond had evidently come to the same conclusion as he had.


                                                  “Whatever it is that the four of you are planning had best not come to pass.” Elrond fixed each of the youngsters with a glare. “There are far too many irons in our fire at the moment for any foolishness from wayward elflings. Or from wayward humans, “he amended locking eyes with Estel. All of them had the grace to blush. “Out with it, what were you scheming about?” Four heads hung, and silence was his only reply. “Out with it!” he thundered.


                                                   “Adar, it was truly nothing. We were only going to climb the side of the inner wall and drop acorns on the guards who were sleeping on duty tonite.” Elladan spoke up, blushing fiercely. “Legolas was not going to be doing the climbing; he was just going to distract you by pretending to be planning to disobey. That is the truth, I swear it.” Thranduil whipped around to glare darkly at his son. Legolas cast his eyes down, fingers twisting nervously in his lap.


                                                    “Legolas, we will continue this discussion in our room. Get moving, “Thranduil ground out.


                                                     “Yes, my lord, “Legolas replied in a subdued tone as he slowly levered himself up from his seat on the rug pile and preceeded his father from the room. Elrond belatedly remembered the guardsmen in the room and turned to address them.


                                                      “Good sirs, if you would please excuse us, I wish to speak to my sons in private.” He phrased the command as a request, inclining his head to them. Almost as one, they bowed respectfully and exited the salle. He turned back to the three miscreants. “We are guests in this Keep and I will not tolerate any abuse of Lord Feren’s hospitality.  From now on I expect all of you to behave as the adults you are supposed to be. This is not Imladris and you will not do anything to bring shame upon yourselves or me, is that understood?”


                                                      “Yes, Adar,” the three replied shamefaced.


                                                  “Very well, then, I believe we need to find some occupation for you so that you will not be tempted into mischief by inactivity.” He was rewarded by groans from all three. “I will see you in the Great Hall after you clean yourselves up.” With that, he swept out of the salle, barely passing the door before his amused grin replaced the stern look he had worn during the lecture. They would be the death of him yet, he thought, shaking his head ruefully.


                                                    An hour later all four were dutifully crafting arrows to fill the quivers left empty by the forrest battle and to suppliment the supply at the Keep. Thranduil and Elrond were seated by the hearth sipping wine and ensuring the obedience of their offspring. The corners of Elrond’s mouth twitched suspiciously from time to time, but he remained silent. Thranduil, on the other hand, was still fuming. He had delivered a scathing lecture on responsibility and adult behavoir to his son in the privacy of their room. Legolas had said not a word, simply accepting his father’s words and his punishment. His son’s silence disturbed Thranduil. It was not like Legolas to accept such a speech from him without a word. He was aware that a good measure of his anger at this point stemmed from deep concern at Legolas’ lack of reaction. He resolved to speak to Legolas after dinner when they both had calmed.


                                                      The musical sound of elven voices filtered through the door of the Hall. Thranduil and Elrond looked up from their wine glasses as the door opened to admit the warriors from Lorien.


                                                        “Mae Govannen, King Thranduil, Lord Elrond. I am Haldir, March Warden of Lorien and we are at your service.” He placed his hand over his heart and swept it outward in the traditional gesture of respect, bowing to the Imladris lord and the King of Mirkwood.


                                                           “Mae Govannen, Haldir o Lorien” Thranduil replied gravely. “We are appreciative of your aid.” Haldir bowed in response. “Let us apprise you of the situation here.” Thranduil stepped aside to allow Haldir to move past him to a seat near the hearth. The rest of the Lorien warriors found seats around the room and listened intently as Thranduil and Elrond spoke. The four arrow-makers also followed every word as they worked.


                                                             “That sums up the situation, March Warden. “ Thranduil finished solemnly. Haldir frowned in thought for a few minutes before replying.


                                                  “ My lords, the first thing I suggest is that my warriors and I scout the forest in the morning to see if we can discerne any pattern to the orc’s movements. We will also take up position on the Keep’s walls this night and attempt to catch an orc to interrogate. It is my hope that we will be able to determine some of this enemy’s plans.” Seeing no disagreement, Haldir dispatched his warriors.


                                                     


                                            


                                                                                                                                                                                                                          .


 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List