Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of a Father and Son  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: Tolkien -all, sheraiah-zip


                                                            Chapter 12


                                                   Elrond and Thranduil sat before the hearth in Lord Feren’s private study glasses of wine in hand. Feren had been gracious in granting them the use of his study so they could continue their conversation away from curious eyes. Elrond studied the elf opposite him with concern. It was apparent that there was more troubling Mirkwood’s King than he had revealed thus far. He had fallen silent several minutes ago, staring into the flames. Elrond decided that the direct approach might be best at this stage.


                                                    “Mellon, there is yet another burden you have not shared with me. Will you allow me to help you carry it?” Elrond watched Thranduil’s face as the statement registered.


                                                     “Yes, there is more. I am almost certain that this ambush was not random. The attack was too well organized to have been planned by orcs; they are not capable of such.  I believe that those orcs were sent to eliminate us, but by whom and for what purpose I do not know.” Thranduil frowned, pausing to drain his wineglass. “I have long been aware that it would suit the Dark Forces to be rid of the elves in Mirkwood, but very seldom do they act openly. Another factor that worries me is that none outside my council of advisors knew that I would be traveling to Imladris. It is well known that I usually send Legolas as my proxy, so the question I must now ask is whether the attack was meant for him or was the fact that I was with that patrol known to this enemy? “He lapsed into brooding silence.


                                                       “From your description of the attack, I would agree. If you are correct, there may be much more at stake than Mirkwood. The delegation from Lorien has not yet arrived. They may be targets as well, and must be warned. For that matter, Lord Feren needs to know of this as his people are in the line of fire by virtue of their choice of abode and their friendship with Imladris. “Elrond wore a frown now as well, irritated at himself for not seeing this possibility much sooner. Thranduil frowned at his words, but upon consideration of them had to agree that Elrond’s statements had a good measure of merit.


                                                 “Agreed, Peredhel, we must inform Feren of our suspicions, and warn Lorien. I wish no more blood spilled save that of the individual or individuals responsible for this butchery. As much as I am loathe to admit it, I owe Feren a great deal and would not repay him by failing to prevent harm to his people.” Thranduil’s face was once again an impassive mask, revealing nothing unless one knew him well enough to see beyond it. Elrond assumed the same mask.


                                                  “Just so, Oropherion. Shall we?” At Thranduil’s nod, Elrond led the way. At this time of day, Feren would be in the salle overseeing the training of his guard troops. Elrond had been more than a little impressed by the discipline that Feren required from his guard troops on his first visit to Greenglade Keep. There was none of the rowdiness and overindulgence in strong drink that he had come to expect from his extensive travels through human settlements. Thranduil and Legolas were truly fortunate that it had been this group of humans to find them. Had it been any of the others, things would have gone very badly indeed.


                                                    This day found the humans in the salle greeted by a rare sight. Elladan and Elrohir had grown weary of inactivity and were engaged in a mock swordfight. The twins were well matched in their skills and their bout was truly amazing to those who had never seen elves in combat. The humans were well versed mostly in the use of spears and bows, with some wielding short swords. The whirling, gliding, gracefully deadly dance the twins performed was utterly alien and engrossing. All other activity had stopped in favor of the spectacle before them. Even Feren had stopped to watch. Elrond and Thranduil also paused to observe the sparring session.


                                                     “They are quite skilled. Did Glorfindel have the teaching of them?” He leaned closer to the Imladris lord as he spoke softly to avoid breaking the twins’ concentration. At Elrond’s nod of affirmation, he smiled in satisfaction, “Ah, I thought I recognized the style.” Feren noticed the two and made his way over to them.


                                                        “Greetings, King Thranduil, Lord Elrond. Did you need to speak with me?” Lord Feren bowed respectfully to the elves. Drawing the human to the side of the salle, the elves laid out their thoughts on the attack to him. He frowned, his mind moving quickly.


                                                 “That would also explain why we have been finding more orc sign the last two weeks than we have in the last several years. I like this not at all. I think you are correct, King Thranduil. Someone wanted either you or your son dead. More likely both of you if they know anything of elves. They may have been trying to deal you a fatal blow by killing him,” Feren finished, his brow crinkled with lines of worry. Thranduil nodded grimly in agreement.


                                                    “If that truly is the case, then this enemy is more knowledgeable of our ways than I would like.  Peredhel, how soon can you send the message to Lorien?” The King of Mirkwood turned to Elrond expectantly.


                                                      “As soon as I can get a messenger to Imladris with the information. Erestor will forward the message to Lorien for me. Although, Lorien may already have knowledge of this that we do not.” Elrond allowed himself a slight smile at that thought. Thranduil snorted and made a comment under his breath about rings and their bearers. Elrond arched a brow at him but refrained from comment.


                                                        Feren issued orders to his guard to report any unusual activity to him immediately, and gave directions to prepare for siege conditions. As he did so, Elrond sent the message on its way. After that was done the elves were left to their own devices, having done all they could for the moment. Elrond took a the opportunity to examine his patients again, ushering Thranduil back into the Great Hall.


                                                        Legolas had awakened and was drinking broth assisted by Estel when they entered the Hall. The prince’s hands were still not steady enough to hold the cup without spilling. Seeing his father and Elrond enter, he waved the cup aside. Elrond pressed the cup back against his lips.


                                                        “You need the norishment far more than you need to stand on ceremony, elfling. Drain the cup,” he ordered with a stern look to the prince. Legolas drank obediently, not wishing to bring his father into the dispute. Elrond examined both Legolas and Thranduil, pronouncing Legolas fit enough to be moved to a more private space.  Once that was accomplished, the Imladris lord directed both father and son to rest until the evening meal. He had expected resistance from both, but to his surprise both took to their beds without protest. Feeling drained himself, Elrond too went to his rest.


                                                  
                                      To Be Continued





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List