Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of a Father and Son  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: Tolkien owns all, I own nothing.

                                                Chapter 9

                                                 The sun was setting outside the keep. Inside however, it was as if darkness had already fallen. Weder and Letha could only stand by and watch helplessly as both elves grew weaker and weaker. Weder could not understand why both were affected. He turned to Letha for explanation.


                                                  “Why both of them? I cannot understand it. I know Prince Legolas’ body is failing because of the poison, but why is his father’s as well? It cannot be the grief so soon, can it?” Weder queried in growing frustration.


                                                   “No, it is not the grief,” Letha answered. “ Not so soon. I believe I know what is happening. Elves have certain abilities that we do not. One is an ability to heal themselves. Another is the ability to lend their strength to another to aid them in healing themselves. All elves can do this, some to a greater degree than others.  It is an amazing thing to see when it is successful.  If I am correct, this is why both are failing. The father does not have enough strength left in him to help the son and now we shall have to watch both of them die, “she finished with a sob, tears streaming down her weary, haggard face. Weder made no reply save to gather her into his arms, his own face tear-streaked.


                                                    Thranduil could no longer see or hear anything. His entire existence was wrapped around keeping his son’s heart beating and his lungs moving air. Every vestige of strength in his body was pouring into Legolas. His own breathing was becoming labored and shallow, his heart fighting to keep beating. He slumped over his son, barely conscious.


                                                Weder and Letha were startled out of their grieving by the sound of loud voices beyond the door. The wooden door was flung back, slamming into the wall as Lord Feren burst into the Great Hall flanked by several elves and a young, dark haired man. Feren shouted for food and drink to be brought for the visitors, but the visitors’ attention was occupied solely by the two figures huddled on the pallet by the hearth. An elf clad in a fine cloak of midnight blue broke away from the rest and swiftly crossed the Hall to kneel beside Legolas.


                                                  Elrond swept back his hood and quickly took in the condition of the two elves before him. They had arrived with not a moment to spare. If he was to be able to help Legolas heal it would have to be now. He knew Thranduil was in almost as bad a state as his son, but he could only help one of them. Turning, his eyes sought his sons.


                                                    “Elladan, Elrohir see to Thranduil! I will see to Legolas.” He leaned over the deathly pale form beside him, placing one hand on either side of the prince’s face and closing his eyes in concentration. His sons leapt to obey his edict, each grasping one of Thranduil’s arms and forcibly lifting him from the pallet and onto a bench near the hearth. Each twin placed a hand on the Elven king’s face mimicking their father’s pose. Eyes closed in concentration, shutting everything else out they let their strength flow into the elf sitting between them. A few moments later, Thranduil’s eyes fluttered open to see two elven faces before him, two faces so alike as to seem reflections of one another.


                                                      “Peace, King Thranduil, you are very weak still. You must remain still and rest yourself.” Elladan intoned softly. Thranduil attempted to struggle against the twins’ hold, but he was truly as weak as a newborn kitten and his struggles had no effect.


                                                       “Legolas,” he croaked hoarsely.


                                                        “Our father is with him, all will be well,” Elrohir assured him.


                                                 Thranduil slumped against Elladan, unable even to hold himself upright. Elrohir shifted out of his line of sight so that he had a clear view of Elrond and Legolas. The dark haired elf lord knelt beside Legolas his hands resting on either side of the younger elf’s face, eyes closed and brow furrowed. After long minutes, he sighed heavily and sat back on his heels. Elrond lifted a weary countenance to the others and allowed himself a slight smile.


                                                  “All is well. He will recover in a few days.” Elrond made as if to rise, but so drained was he that his legs would not support him and he fell back onto his knees, saving himself from sprawling only by bracing himself on the floor with one hand. With a rueful grimace, he addressed the Lord of the Keep. “Lord Feren, it seems that I am now in need of your assistance. Would you be so kind as to house us for the time it takes for King Thranduil, Prince Legolas and myself to recover?” He noted the expression of consternation that crossed Feren’s face and chuckled softly to himself. Some things didn’t change, nor did some elves. Feren recovered his aplomb with remarkable speed considering the fact that he had only now discovered the identity of his unknown guests.


                                                   “My home is your home for as long as you like, Lord Elrond, with my pleasure. You have only to tell me what you require.” Feren was nothing if not a gracious host, and by his reckoning he owed Lord Elrond much more than he could ever repay. “I have not forgotten all you have done for my family. Were it not for you, I would have no wife and no son to hold this Keep after I am gone. You will always be welcome in my house whenever you choose to visit and for however long you wish to stay. Now, my Lord, you and all your companions should take some food and rest.”


                                                    Estel had been waiting, impatiently shifting from one foot to the other while his foster father and foster brothers aided Thranduil and Legolas. As soon as he knew his friend would recover, he breathed a heartfelt sigh of relief, and then hurried to assist his foster father off the floor and to the table. He served Elrond himself before stepping over to Letha and Weder to request that another pallet be laid next to Legolas. When this was done, Elladan and Elrohir settled Thranduil on the fresh pallet. They knew that the Elven king would rest easier if he lay next to his son. Estel served his brothers their meal, as well as Weder and Letha before taking his own plate. His actions earned him an odd look from his brothers and an approving one from Elrond. After the meal, Estel turned to the rest of the group.


                                                     “Elladan, if you and Elrohir wish to assist Ada to his room and then continue to yours, I will watch over Legolas and King Thranduil.”


                                                 “An excellent suggestion, Estel, thank you.” Elrond smiled at his foster son, proud of the mature behavior the young man was displaying. “And I believe you should seek your beds as well,” he remarked pointedly, fixing Letha and Weder with his sharp gaze. “Unless I am very much mistaken, neither of you has slept since your patients arrived.”


                                                 “Aye, Lord Elrond, it has been a trying couple of days.” Weder confirmed. “If no one objects, this healer recommends sleep for all of us.” Letha merely nodded her agreement, too weary and emotionally drained to speak. They excused themselves and departed.


                                                   Estel watched the women of the household clear away the dishes. One of them set a pot of broth on the hearth in case the elves woke during the night and needed nourishment. When they completed their tasks and exited, Estel settled himself cross-legged on the floor by Legolas’ head and leaned his back against the wall to wait out the night.


                                    

                                                             <          TBC       >





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List