Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of a Father and Son  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: It’s not stealing, it’s borrowing without permission! I’m making no money from this; more’s the pity, so suing me is pointless. All recognizable characters belong to Tolkien, the OC’s are all mine.

 

 

 

Thranduil chafed at his enforced inactivity, but sternly reminded himself to count his blessings. He had only been allowed to walk outside the Keep unaccompanied today and was seated in a shady spot at the back of the archery range watching his son, Estel, the twins, and Lord Feren’s son Daeren compete. He shook his head in amusement. Elladan and Elrohir would never learn. In the countless times they had challenged Legolas, they had yet to win a single contest. Estel was much more realistic and was accepting advice from his friend, as was young Daeren. Legolas, for his part, was ribbing the twins mercilessly. He took a much kinder approach with the young humans, but they had not challenged him in the arrogant fashion that the sons of Elrond had. A soft elven footfall turned his attention to his right. Haldir bowed politely and at Thranduil’s invitation took a seat near the king.

“Need I ask who is winning, my lord?” Haldir was grinning wryly.

“Who do you think? Elladan and Elrohir have been challenging him since he was an elfling and the result is always the same.” Thranduil’s expression held naught but pride for his son. Haldir chuckled.

“It is a bit of a blow to their pride that one so much younger can outshoot them. I, for one, am glad he is so skilled,” Haldir remarked, smiling as another of Legolas’ arrows hit the center of a target.

“So you should be, since you had a hand in it.” Thranduil wore an amused expression. “All I heard about after his first visit to Lorien was how you took charge of him for archery lessons every day. I am certain Nimendis appreciated your help. Legolas was rather, shall we say ‘energetic’, at that age.” Haldir gave an amused snort.

 

“He still is. I happened upon him while he and Estel were placing some strange herbs in the twins’ food last evening. I shudder to think what reaction they were meant to cause.” Thranduil’s swiftly stifled laughter caught the March Warden off guard. His puzzled expression elicited an explanation from the king.

“Most likely the unexpected expulsion of their food from their stomachs and we have Elrond to thank for that idea, I fear. He did something similar to Glorfindel in retaliation for the replacement of some bathing oil with nettle oil.” Thranduil was grinning rather maliciously at the thought. “I believe I might have parted with a couple of bottles of my finest wine to have been privy to that incident.” Haldir’s eyebrows had reached his hairline.

“I had not heard that tale. It seems that the fruit falls much closer to the tree than I had thought.” Suddenly Haldir felt considerably less self-conscious about his own flour dowsing incident. Thranduil’s chuckle brought him back to the present.

“It does indeed. Legolas told me about it after his last visit to Imladris. I had forgotten it until now.” There was a mirthful gleam in his eyes that boded no good for Lord Elrond. Both elves became aware of the presence of another behind them.

“Should I even ask?” Elrond took in the amusement evident in both their faces. Thranduil shot him a wry look.

“How are your herb supplies, Peredhel? Missing anything recently?” Elrond’s expression turned to one of pained exasperation.

“Which two and what this time?” He was not entirely surprised to see Thranduil’s grin widen. The king had been strangely light-hearted since his awakening.

“Legolas and Estel and something about tampering with the twins’ food. I wonder where they could possibly have gotten that idea.” The grin was now bordering on evil.

“Well, what would you have done had it been your bath oil that was switched? You would have done him bodily harm, Oropherion and do not pretend otherwise. At least there have been no longterm effects from my retaliation save that I have been spared further pranks from him. I can hardly blame him anyway; he only does it because he promised Celebrian that he would not let me become too serious.” Elrond’s face took on a far away expression for a moment, and then he seemed to shake himself back into the present. Thranduil appeared to consider for a bit, then a sly grin grew across his face.

“Given a choice, Celebrian’s method of lightening your moods would be preferable I am certain. Much less damaging as well, even if it did frequently mean keeping your guests waiting.” Elrond laughed briefly.

“Just so, and I intend to take that up with her when I see her again.” He turned his attention back to the archers. “I need not ask who is winning. Hmm, Estel is improving, do you not think so?”

“Yes, he is but he will always favor the sword, I think.” Thranduil studied the young human with the eye of one who has had long practice in training and deploying warriors. “He will surpass most men in swordplay, Elrond. “ Elrond nodded his own many years of experience in the arts and practice of war causing him to draw the same conclusion. Stil it was gratifying to hear it from Thranduil who was better than a fair hand with a sword himself. The contest had drawn to a close by that point and the five contestants made thair way to the three observers. Daeren excused himself politely and the elves made their way to the Hall for the mid day meal.

 

 

Thranduil had taken advantage of his increased mobility and made his way to the top of the wall immediately after breakfast. It was his favorite place at the Keep as it afforded an unobstructed view of the forest. He was unsurprised when Elrond joined him a few minutes later. Both elves disliked being confined inside the human structure. Thranduil lived in caverns, but they were very cleverly designed to mimic trees and foliage and he never felt as claustrophobic in his home as he did in human-made walls. Of course he frequently made forays into the trees outside his home as well. He and Elrond stood in companionable silence for several minutes before the sound of elven laughter floated up the stairs to them. Legolas and Haldir topped the stairs followed by Estel. All three had their quivers strapped to their backs and their bows in their hands.

“Mae Govannen Ada, Lord Elrond.” Legolas grinned at his father, mischief written all over his face. Thranduil arched a brow at him.

 

“Do I even want to know, ion-nin?” He wore an amused expression. Legolas laughed outright.

 

“Elladan and Elrohir declined to participate in target shooting today after they lost so thoroughly yesterday.” Thranduil and Elrond both laughed. Elrond shook his head.

 

“I believe that a conversation on sportsmanship is in order for my sons.” That prompted more laughter from Legolas and from Estel. Haldir permitted himself a grin.

 

“My lords, I did not get a chance to tell you earlier. There has been no orc sign for several leagues around the Keep since the day after the battle.” Haldir paused to allow the information to sink in, and then continued. “It is almost as if they had orders to retreat.”

 

“Now that is an unsettling thought,” Thranduil commented. “One we, unfortunately, have no way as yet of confirming. It is also unexpected. Ulairi do not give up their targets easily. We can only wonder what they mean to do next.” His expression was grim. He noticed that Legolas shuddered involuntarily at the mention of the Ulaire and he surreptitiously squeezed his son’s arm. Legolas’ eyes darted to him and he smiled slightly.

 

“Well, we shall journey to Imladris as soon as I decide that you are fit enough to make the trip.” Elrond stated, ignoring the scowl Thranduil aimed in his direction. “That will provide a greater measure of protection and hopefully we can use Imladris’ protections to cover your departure for Mirkwood when the time comes.”

 

Thranduil nodded absently, his mind only half on Elrond’s words. He was beginning to feel uneasy. He concentrated, trying to home in on the source of the uneasiness, but he did not have the connection to the lands here that he did to his home and the source remained hidden. He was more than a bit relieved when Estel suggested that the younger members of the group depart for the archery range. Elrond stated that he wished to speak with Lord Feren. Thranduil expressed an interest in being party to that conversation and they all began to move toward the staircase.

 

Legolas stopped suddenly at the top of the stairs as the unmistakable sound of an arrow cutting through the air reached his ears. He had strung his bow earlier, and he reached quickly for an arrow, notching it as he spun. A grunt of pain confirmed his fear that the arrow had found its mark.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List