Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shot in the Dark  by Iawen Londea

Many many thanks to Alex, who lovingly beta'ed this for me. And also thanks to Cathy, my usual beta, for all her work on my other previous chapters. *huggles to both*

Okay, here it is! The end! You guys never thought it would come did you? LOL. I was starting to think the same. Thanks to everyone who has reviewed, it encouraged me so much. Also thanks to those who read it but did not review. You guys are all awesome, lol.

Chapter Eleven

“ELLADAN! I’m going to kill you!”

With these words, the peaceful quiet that had fallen over Imladris fled. Aragorn and Legolas, who were at the time eating breakfast with Elrond and Arwen, both turned in their seats just in time to see Elladan running past the doorway as if his life depended on getting away. Seconds later Elrohir flew past as well. As his long hair trailed past him, Legolas would have sworn that the usually dark black hair looked blue.

Exchanging a quizzical glance with each other, the ranger and the elven prince missed the amused looks Elrond and Arwen gave each other.

“What in Arda is going on?” the human asked as all four followed the twins.

The onlookers halted atop the broad staircase leading down to the courtyard, where Elrohir was still chasing his twin.

“Is ‘Ro’s hair blue?” Aragorn screeched incredulously.

Legolas chuckled. At this distance even Aragorn could see that his elven brother’s hair was blue. In the direct sunlight, it was even more pronounced.

“It is,” Elrond replied, the tips of his mouth starting to turn upward in amusement.

“Should he be running around like that Ada?” Arwen spoke up, concern in her voice and on her face.

Elrohir had slept away the days following Celedur’s death, but, as Elrond had predicted, by the end of the week, he was out of bed. The following week had Elrohir's entire family, and Legolas, trying to prevent the younger twin from being too active, a task that they found to be nearly impossible.

It did not help that Elrohir was still angry about the accusations made against Elladan. He had even refused to even talk to anyone but his twin for several days. Elrond hoped that the fact that Elladan had forgiven everyone would help his other son to do the same. The Elven Lord also knew a part of the problem was Elrohir’s annoyance at being seen as weak or vulnerable. Once he was fully recovered, he would be more himself, Elrond was sure of it.

“It should not harm him,” the older elf replied. “I think having some physical activity will be good for him. He will probably be tired later, though, but at least he will not protest too much this time when I send him to bed.”

Elrond’s breath caught in his throat as he watched Elrohir stop suddenly, clutching his chest. As the father was about to rush down to his son, the young elf suddenly jumped his twin, who had hurried over out of concern.

His heart beating again, Elrond shook his head and sighed. “I might have known he would pull something like that,” he told his two youngest children and Legolas, who were all snickering.

“I suppose I had better prepare some soaps and herbs to wash ‘Ro’s hair,” Arwen groaned, looking annoyed. “Last time this happened, it took us nearly four days to get all the dye out!”

“This happened before?” Aragorn questioned, his brow raised.

“Oh, yes. Elrohir’s hair was a bright shade of green,” Arwen explained. Debating whether to laugh at the memory or scowl at having to repeat the experience, the young Lady of Imladris threw up her hands and walked back inside.

“I must say he deserved it this time,” Elrond commented as he continued to watch the twins, who were wrestling on the ground. “I am just thankful Elladan knew when Elrohir would be strong enough to handle their sparring.”

*****

“You have to admit you deserved it, ‘Ro,” Elladan laughed as he and Arwen scrubbed away at Elrohir’s hair later that day.

The younger twin scowled but said nothing. Elladan frowned but he was standing behind his brother so Elrohir did not see it. Usually Elrohir was good at taking jokes. The twins had done far worse to each other before. If either of the two were at all bad at taking jokes, it was Elladan, even though it usually took a lot to anger him. The older twin admitted to himself he may have overreacted a bit at Elrohir’s last prank, and wondered what would have happened if he had been on the trip. Shaking those thoughts from his head, Elladan refocused his mind on washing his brother’s hair.

*****

When night fell, Elrohir’s hair was still blue and his mood not much improved. He did not say much at dinner, but assured his father he was well when the concerned elf-lord asked how he was feeling. Elladan was starting to think his brother’s foul mood was due to something more than the prank played this morning. Knowing his brother well, Elladan found his twin at the stables not long after dinner.

“You look tired, should you not be resting?” he asked casually as he strode into the stable.

Elrohir was brushing his horse, which he often did when he was upset over something. He scowled, muttering that he was fine, but did not turn his eyes to meet his brother’s.

“If something is bothering you, you know you can tell me.”

Silence filled the stable as the other elf paused, thinking over his brother’s words. “Do you remember when we were small elflings?” Elrohir asked suddenly. “We used to imagine sailing over to the Grey Havens with—“

“With Celedur and Orodun, I remember,” Elladan sighed. “The four of us used to imagine being in charge of the ship. Now they are both dead. Is that what is bothering you?”

“I accepted Orodun’s death a long time ago,” the younger brother replied. “Although it still brings me sadness at times. I suppose I am having trouble with Celedur’s death. I know he had it coming, but… it all just seems so meaningless.”

“It was meaningless. But he made his own choices, Elrohir, and they were not wise ones. What else was Ada to do? Celedur’s life after Orodun’s death could hardly have been even called an existence.”

“Elves are not supposed to die,” Elrohir said softly.

Elladan nodded his agreement. “A lot of things happen that should not.”

“Like my blue hair?” Elrohir grinned. His twin blinked, momentarily taken aback by his brother’s swift change in mood. He reminded himself that Elrohir had always been able to do that.

“Or you stringing me up in a tree and leaving me there until morning!” the older twin exclaimed, a wide grin on his face.

The younger elf threw his head back and laughed heartily. “’Dan, I honestly thought you would get out of that before I came for you. And I meant to come sooner, I swear it.”

“Until you were distracted by a lovely she-elf, I know. Arwen told me. Just what were you two doing that kept you until sunrise?”

Elrohir glared at his brother playfully but did not answer the question. “I did not know you would be so angry about it that you would refuse to go on the trip.”

“It is just as well,” Elladan replied, switching the mood back to serious. “It might have been a far worse disaster if we had both been there.” An awkward pause filled the stables. “I knew the instant you got hit,” he continued. “When I saw you in Ada’s arms… honestly, I did not think you would make it. I do not think Ada held much hope either.”

Instead of replying, Elrohir walked forward and pulled his brother into an embrace. “It is all right, I am well.”

Elladan returned the hug tightly. “Now do not be angry at them for doubting me, ‘Ro.”

At that comment, the younger twin pulled back. “I cannot grasp that any of them actually thought you would do that to me. You have told me that you forgave them, and I believe you, but you cannot hide the hurt you still feel from me. I know better.”

“Yes, I know you do, but I am working on it. We should not let this ruin our family. Amme is counting on us.”

Elrohir nodded, agreeing, but slightly startled by his brother’s mention of their mother.

“Now, you need to get some rest, do not argue!” Elladan pushed his brother out of the stables and towards the main house. He smirked at his brother’s hair, knowing Elrohir would consider it war. Mentally preparing himself for Elrohir’s next prank, the older twin felt the weight of the last two weeks finally lift off his shoulders.

The End

I hope you have all enjoyed the final chapter of this story! Yes, I have mentioned before that I have two prequels to this planned, and I do. But as to when I get around to them, I have no idea, lol. I have some other stories I want to work on first. I am still in shock that this story is finally complete! It is kind of sad, really. LOL. As always please review and tell me your thoughts!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List