Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Little Ones about Little Ones  by Golden

Good Bye Darling

Beta: Pearl Took

Merry whistled as he walked up the path to Bag End.  He was in Hobbinton with his parents and because they were busy with a lot of boring shopping he had decided to pay his older cousin a visit.

While he walked there, happily enjoying the warm sunbeams on his skin, he suddenly noticed a sad voice talking in a steady monologe.  He looked around and spotted Sam, who was standing in Bag End's vegetable garden, looking at something that he was holding in both hands while talking to it.

“You poor little thing. I am so sorry! Oh why, oh why. You should have been growing strong, you should have been happily drinking water, feeling the sun and the wind. I have failed you, oh dear little darling. . .”

He went on and on and Merry felt his heart became heavier. Maybe poor Sam had lost a pet? 

Merry jumped over the fence that formed the border between the path and the garden and walked up to Sam, wanting to offer him a comforting shoulder.  He laid a hand on the other hobbit's back.  Sam turned around, startled.

“Mister Merry? What are you doing here?”

“Hullo Sam, I am visiting Frodo, but then I heard you and . . . I am really sorry Sam, that you lost your darling. Can I do anything for you?”

Sam sighed heavily and shook his head. “Nothing can be done Mister Merry.”

Merry tried to look into Sam's now closed hands. “What was its name?” he asked.

“Oh," Sam said, "I had no name for it. But I had hoped so much that it would grow into a tall plant with plenty tomatoes to share.”

Merry looked bewildered at Sam. “Tomatoes?”

Sam noded and opend his hands. A small plant was lying inside, dry and dead.  Sam looked at it sadly and sighed again deeply.

Merry stared at Sam for some moment before mumbling to himself. “And people say folks in Buckland are odd!”

 

The End

AN: Pearl and I talked about Ghosts and because that became so scary something was needed to get the mind of it. So we gave each other a little challenge. Two characters ( Sam and Merry for me), three words ( I got water, fence and tomatoes) and 10 minutes time. Just a bit fun! *L*

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List