Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Year of Departure  by PIppinfan1988

Disclaimer: All hobbits and Middle-earth belong to JRR Tolkien, but in my dreams, they belong to me. I get no money for my tales; nobody in their right mind would pay me for them.

For Marigold's latest tale challenge 43,  (Summer's End) my Muse led me to do some research about a typical part of the year that entails ghosts and spirits of the dead. I came across a Feast called, “Oidhche Shamhna”, otherwise known as Samhain. In short, it tells of the simple customs of this feast and how they came about. I found it very interesting, but also found it daunting to create a story utilising *everything* I learnt about it because I wanted to write about it *all*. In the end I decided to keep it simple -- like me, lol. 

Also, while musing this tale, I came upon the thought (probably not an original idea, but oh well) that Frodo *had* to have known for quite some time that he wouldn’t grow old in the Shire. Thus, the title, “The Year of Departure” was born, feeling Frodo probably behaved much like he did before the Quest. In spite of weathering illnesses, he spent his last year in the Shire trying to gather as many memories of his loved ones to take him into the West.

Enjoy...





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List