Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Now and Forever  by Coreinha

disclaimer: I don't own any recognisable characters or settings, they all belong to Tolkien. The song belongs to Carole King, or the producers of A League of Their Own, or who ever. I'm using all of this without permission, no harm is intended. I'm not making any money from this work.

A/N: Ok, I'm really excited about this, I've decided to write a trilogy of songfics, called 'Final Farewells'. The first one is 'I Would Have Loved You Anyway', and it can be found on FF.net under my pen name, Coreinha. This is the second, and the third will be called 'When You Come Back to Me Again'. *tissue warning!*

This song, Now and Forever, is sung by Carole King, and is from the soundtrack to 'A League of their Own' (which if you haven't seen it, you should, it's a GREAT movie)

Special thanks to Trin for beta'ing!

Song lyrics in italics

Summary: SONGFIC: Final Farewells trilogy, pt 2, Legolas and Gimli sail for Valinor, Legolas remembers his mortal companions.

Spoilers: yes, for Return of The King

Archive: sure, just ask!

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

Legolas stood on the bow of the great ship, surveying all that remained of the Grey Havens.

Cirdan and his ship-building folk had abandoned it some thirty years ago, leaving enough wood and equipment to make one final ship for the last remaining elves on Middle Earth. Legolas Thranduilion, Prince of Eryn Lasgallen, and Arwen Undomiel, Queen of the Reunited Kingdom.

A tear trickled unbidden down his face, as he remembered the great lady's final fate.

Unable to live any longer without her beloved husband, Aragorn, she had slipped away in the middle of the night, and returned to Lothlorien, where she now rested for all eternity.

Legolas had known where she would go. He had known the maiden for most of his life, and all of hers.

Of course she would return to Lorien.

Since her mother had departed for Valinor, and up until she married Aragorn, Lorien was the only place she was truly at home.

He had followed her, and had been there to mark her final breath.

There, beneath the canopy of the birch trees, he had laid her to rest, with the promise to bear her eternal love to her family in Tol Eressea.

Now and forever
You are a part of me
And the memory cuts like a knife

Thoughts of Arwen inevitably led to thoughts of Aragorn. One of the truest friends he had ever known.

Legolas' breath caught in his throat, as he remembered all the adventures he had shared with the human.

He drew a deep breath, as the memories came flooding back.

The thousands of orcs they had killed together, the countless times they had stood side by side and shoulder to shoulder, defending Middle Earth from the forces of darkness.

That last adventure, when they saved Middle Earth from the threat of Sauron, destroying him for all time.

He had a sudden vision of the fields of Pelennor, he, Aragorn and Gimli fighting side by side, the stench of death and blood in the air.

He could hear the sounds of evil beings screeching in rage, and dying men and elves screaming in agony.

Then the screams melted into cheers, as Aragorn's coronation, then his wedding flashed across Legolas' mind.

Didnt we find the ecstasy
Didnt we share the daylight
When you walked into my life

He remembered those quiet nights, just him and Aragorn, lying side by side beneath the stars. Just talking about nothing, and everything. Their fears, their hopes, their passions and their dreams.

Legolas chuckled when he remembered a particular conversation regarding females.

Aragorn had wanted help understanding the opposite sex.

Unfortunately, Legolas had no more of an idea of the inner workings of the feminine mind than Aragorn had.

That night, they had promised to help each other through whatever trials with the fairer sex would come.

Now and forever
I'll remember all the promises still unbroken
And think about all the words between us
That never needed to be spoken

The elf turned around, facing the sea.

Out there was peace, behind him was only emptiness.

Though Aragorn had lived twice as long as other mortals, to Legolas, it seemed as though it had only been a few weeks.

A moment in time that he would forever cherish.

We had a moment
Just one moment
That will last beyond a dream,
Beyond a lifetime

Thank to Aragorn, Legolas had been a part of events that would forever alter the course of history. He had been there to witness Sauron's downfall.

He had seen heroes rise and fall, and through it all, Aragorn had been a constant presence in his life.

Legolas knew he was blessed to have been a part of those events, though it didn't feel like it at the time. He had helped to change the fate of the world.

We are the lucky ones
Some people never get to do
All we got to do

He smiled, as he remember all the messes they had gotten into when Aragorn was a young man.

Adventures all over Middle Earth, from the Northern Wastes, to the deserts of Harad, and even a few escapades in the depths of Moria.

These were memories he would cherish for eternity.

And Aragorn would remain, forever, a part of his memory.

Now and forever
I will always think of you

His mind turned next to the only other immortal in the Fellowship.

Gandalf the White.

The Istar had journeyed on to Valinor with Lord Elrond, about 150 years ago. Legolas was looking forward to seeing his old friend again.

He almost laughed out loud, as he recalled the trip through Moria, and how Gandalf had gotten lost halfway through.

His mirth, however, was lost as he remembered that fateful battle with the balrog.

Without Gandalf, the fellowship had split apart, and for a time, Legolas had feared they had failed.

Didnt we come together

Thank the Valar for Gimli, who had become one of Legolas' dearest friends during the time when the chased a horde of Uruk-Hai, seeking to rescue Merry and Pippin.

The two had fought side-by-side, defending the innocents at Helms Deep from another, even larger, horde of the wicked creatures.

Legolas could even grin now, as he recalled how Gimli had actually killed one more than his elven companion.

It was strange, but he missed playing that macabre game with his diminuitive friend.

As though he knew Legolas was thinking of him, Gimli tromped up from the hold of the ship, as always, making enough noise when he walked to wake the dead.

"Are we going soon?" He asked gruffly, knowing that once they got out to sea, his long-time friend and companion would feel much lighter of heart.

"Soon." Legolas answered, and turned to face Middle Earth again, his mind wandering back more than 150 years, to the War of the Ring, once again.

Didnt we live together

He remembered that terrible battle at Amon Hen, when Frodo and Sam had left for Mordor alone.

Where Boromir had died.

He was the first of the Fellowship to die, and he died with more courage and honor than most men ever achieve in a lifetime.

It was a rare man indeed who took even one arrow for a comrade.

Boromir took at least five for Merry and Pippin, and even then, he continued to fight, for as long as he could.

Legolas did an elven salute silently, in honor of Boromir, and sent warm thoughts to him, wherever he was.

Didn't we cry together

As he remembered Boromir, his mind turned towards Merry and Pippin.

Those two imps were a delight to have around. When they weren't getting him in trouble, that is.

Fond memories of the youngest members of the Fellowship danced across his mind, some causing him to nearly laugh out loud!

Such as the time Merry and Pippin had convinced him it would be a good idea to put strawberry jam in Aragorns sheets. The King hadn't been too thrilled about that.

Neither had the Queen.

Legolas had never seen Merry and Pippin run that fast, not even when they were being chased by orcs in Moria.

The pair had remained friends all their lives, and, as often as he was able, Legolas visted them, when they grew to old to travel any longer.

Merry had passed into the mysterious fate of men first, Pippin (now called Thain) followed within the week, having no desire to continue living without his lifelong best friend.

Legolas had been there, along with Aragorn, Arwen, Gimli, Sam and Rosie to bid them a fond farewell.

didn't we play together

His thoughts turned away from the Fellowship for a moment, as he remembered a few of the other heroes who had distinguished themselves during the war.

Eowyn, the beautiful maiden with a will of steel, and a sword arm that few could match.

Legolas remembered mock battles between her and Aragorn, the pair dancing back and forth across the floor as Arwen and Eowyn's husband, Faramir, watched, cheering on their spouses.

Faramir, Boromir's younger brother.

He was not a warrior at heart, but a scholar, and it was his wisdom that saved him from being corrupted by the ring, as Boromir had been.

Eomer, King of Rohan, one of the greatest horsemen Legolas had ever seen.

Eomer and his Rohirrim had saved the day at Helms Deep, preventing more lives being lost.

Legolas was proud to call all three of these great warriors his friends, and would cherish their memories always.

He had not been there when Eomer had passed on, but he had whispered farewell to Eowyn as her eyes closed forever. He'd held Faramir's hand when he died suddenly, during a meeting with Aragorn a few months after Eowyn passed away.

Legolas murmured an elvish blessing for them, and turned back to face the sea.

didn't we love together

Sam had been the last to pass away before Aragorn.

Frodo's dearest friend, and trusted companion had died an old, old man in his own warm bed, surrounded by his children and grandchildren, a few years after his beloved Rosie had gone to dance in the stars, as he always liked to say.

Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn had been present as well, uncomfortable in the tiny hobbit hole, but glad they could say farewell to the hobbit who had played such an important part in the War of the Ring.

It was true, what Frodo had told him as they journeyed through Mordor together.

People always said, "Frodo would never have succeeded without Samwise the Brave. He was as much a hero as anyone in the Fellowship, maybe even more."

Sam had smiled at Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, and bid them a soft farewell.

Then his stout heart had stilled finally, and he was at peace, gone to join his darling Rosie, Merry, Pippin, and perhaps even Frodo.

Of Frodo, Legolas had no idea what his final fate had been. Perhaps he even still lived in Valinor, it would be nice to see him again if he were still living.

And together we lit up the world

Legolas sighed, and wished silently that he could go back to those uncertain days during the War, and stay there forever.

For then, there had been adventures aplenty, and his beloved companions had been young, and strong and in their prime.

Now he was the only one who was young and strong.

I miss the tears
I miss the laughter
I miss the day we met
and all that followed after
Sometimes I wish I
could always be with you

The way we used to do


Legolas sighed, Gimli was growing impatient to leave.

He smiled softly, as the faces from the past 200 years flashed across his memory one last time.

It was time to go home, to find his own peace, as they had all found theirs.

Now and forever
I will always think of you


They would always be a part of him, and live in his memory forever.

In that way, they would always be together.

He reached down, and cast off the line holding them to shore.

The wind filled the sails, carrying Legolas and Gimli ever westward.

Now and forever
I will always be with you

~*~






        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List