Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Homes for gnomes  by Nesta

It is told that when the hosts of the Eldalië departed from Cuiviénen Oromë rode at their head.[…] Before them great clouds hung still black in the North above the ruins of war, and the stars in that region were hidden. Then not a few grew afraid and repented, and turned back...

And travelling they grew weary, and coming to a spot beside a grey pool they sat them down and rested. And great hunger came upon them, and seeing that the waters of the pool were full of fishes, they took counsel one with another as to how they might procure them to eat. And having yet a share of the wisdom and craft of the Firstborn, though they had not looked upon the glories of Valinor, they made a device, simple and yet subtle, whereby they might come at the fish. For they broke slender branches from the willow trees around the pool, and stripped the bark from them; and weaving strands of bark together they made strings, which they attached to the branches; and to the end of the strings they attached hooks of supple willow wood; and on the hooks they affixed certain worms and other creeping things that their sharp elven eyes discerned hard by. And they sat on the bank, and dangled the hooks in the water, and behold! the fishes came to the hooks and were hoisted from the water, and the elven folk ate thereof and grew strong.

But after a time the fish grew cunning, and fewer came to the hooks, and the elven folk waxed hungry. Then one of greater wit than the rest said, ‘Friends, it seems to me that if we were to sit higher above the water, we could the better discern where the fishes swarm, and against their cunning set our still greater cunning. Wherefore let us sit upon these strange plants that grow in yonder damp corner, and so cast our lines, and perchance we shall prevail.’

Now these were plants like no other, with a thick fleshy stalk and a wide platform thereon as it were an umbrella, and they were of strange colour, red and white, though this the elves could scarce discern since the Sun had not yet risen on Middle Earth. In later years the secondborn of Ilúvatar found a name for these plants, and called them toadstools, but as yet they had no name in the language of the elves.

Now the plan seemed good to the elves, and they mounted on the toadstools, and so continued to fish, and they remained as fisherfolk ever after. And it was said by Men in after years that although the mighty amongst the Eldar that came into Exile returned afterwards over the Great Sea and are seen no more, yet certain of the fisherfolk still remain in the west of Middle Earth and are seen of men. And because of their great wisdom in keeping themselves away from the cruel conflicts of Melkor and Sauron and the other children of Ilúvatar, Men called them Gnomes, which means the Wise, and so they were called ever after.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List