Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Vault of Annúminas  by shirebound

THE VAULT OF ANNÚMINAS

This chapter references “Quarantined” chapters 15 and 17.


Chapter 10:  Fun and Games

Aragorn smiled.  ‘Keen are the eyes of the Elves,’ he said.  ‘The Riders of Rohan’, The Two Towers


Gentle morning light filtered into the shelter through cracks in its thick, wooden walls.  Aragorn pushed back the blankets and realized that he was alone in the shelter save for a tiny, squirming lump under Frodo’s blankets.  The muffled yips and contented growls told him that Scamp was most likely enjoying one of the chew toys Frodo had brought for her, but he hastily looked toward his boots to ensure that one of them was not the current focus of the pup’s sharp little teeth.  They were still safe on a high shelf where he had placed them alongside his knives and scabbard.

The dog’s presence told him that, wherever Frodo had gone, it wasn’t far.  Aragorn went outside to wash at a nearby fountain, then pulled on a fresh tunic.  Flinging long, wet hair from his face, he looked about and saw Frodo sitting on the stone pier that led into the lake, a fish pole in his hands and a large basket next to him.  One of the firepits was already lit, cooking implements at hand, and Aragorn marvelled that he had slept through so much morning preparation.

As he walked out along the pier, he heard humming.

“Good morning,” Frodo said brightly as Aragorn joined him.  He was wearing his oldest shirt and breeches, and looked perfectly content.  “We tried to be quiet so you could sleep.”

“You certainly were, and I appreciate it,” Aragorn said.  “I usually wake at sunrise, even in Rivendell; however, something about Lake Evendim brings a measure of peace and relaxation I rarely find elsewhere.”

“Except at Bag End,” Frodo smiled.

“Indeed, that is true.”  Aragorn peered into the basket.  “I am quite impressed, Frodo.   You told me it has been many years since you last fished.”

“It has,” Frodo said.  “I used to fish with my father, but... well, not much since then.  The fish seem eager to approach my line; these worms must be particularly succulent.”

“May I assume that since you are doing the fishing this morning, you expect Elladan and me to cook breakfast?”

“Exactly!” Frodo laughed.  “I hope you were paying attention last night; I like my fish with lots of garlic.”  The line at the end of his pole tightened suddenly, and after a brief struggle, one more good-sized fish lay in the basket.  “That’s plenty, don’t you think?”

“I do, and nicely done,” Aragorn said approvingly.  “Where is Elladan?”

”Swimming,” Frodo said, getting to his feet.  “He doesn’t think the lake feels very cold at all.”

Aragorn grinned.  “Infuriating, is it not?  You should see him and his brother in the snow.  They barely notice it.”  He hefted the basket onto his shoulder and carried it to the firepit, where he and Frodo worked side by side to clean the fish.

“What were you humming?” Aragorn asked.

“Something of Bilbo’s.  He has a tune for every occasion.”

Aragorn picked up the last fish in the basket.  “I hope you do not tire of these,” he said.

“Impossible,” Frodo declared.  “There are so many different ways to prepare them!  Besides, we still have plenty of fruit left, and tonight we can roast the potatoes we’ve been carrying with us.  Did you know about all the vegetables growing wild here, and the berries?  And Elladan says there are some very old orchards not far away.”  He stopped for breath, but continued before Aragorn could respond.  “Poor Scamp was very confused this morning.  After I fed her, she ran right out to the horses to wait; she’s grown used to us packing up and riding every morning.  Do you know how long we’ll stay?  Can you and Elladan show me some archery today?  I’ve seen hobbit archers, but not--”

“Frodo, you astound me,” Aragorn chuckled.  “You have not mentioned the ‘hidden door’ once.  Is this the same boy who was ready to dig up every inch of the Evendim Hills last night?”

“I’m very excited we’re going to search for treasure,” Frodo said, rinsing his hands in a basin of fresh water.  “It’s just that... well, it doesn’t matter whether we do it today or tomorrow.”  He gazed up at Aragorn, his eyes brimming with sudden tears.

Aragorn looked into Frodo’s face, concerned.

“Are you all right, little one?” he asked gently.

“Yes,” Frodo whispered.  “I’m having such a good time.  I truly don’t care what we do, and it doesn’t matter if we find treasure or not; I’m just so happy you wanted to bring me with you.”

Greatly moved, Aragorn gave the boy a hug, remembering what Bilbo had told him years ago.

“You cannot imagine, Aragorn, what it’s meant to Frodo that someone like you cares so much about him.  You’ve made him feel very special.”

“It is a joy to have you with us on this trip,” Aragorn assured the tween.  He felt Frodo’s arms tighten about his neck for a moment.

“Estel, how long can we stay?”

“A few more days,” Aragorn said.  “If we are gone more than two weeks, Bilbo might worry.”

“I know,” Frodo said.  “How he’d love it here; I’d like to bring him someday.”

“Why not do so?” Aragorn asked.  “The Dwarves will soon begin mining nearby, and apparently Bilbo has great renown amongst them.”

“This really is very suspicious,” Frodo said with a grin, pointing over Aragorn’s shoulder.  Elladan, finished with his swim, was walking over to join them.   “He avoided doing dishes at Bag End, and now arrives just after we’ve done all this work with the fish.”

Aragorn burst out laughing.  “I doubt it is deliberate, Frodo; however... one cannot help but marvel at the cleverness of Elves.”

After breakfast, Frodo was eager to ride on Arthad, so Aragorn saddled the great horse and together they set out along one of the ancient roads.  They rode as far as the river, and explored the banks along which docks, shops, homes, and irrigated fields had once flourished.

“I’m the first hobbit to see all this,” Frodo said in awe.  “The Brandywine looks so much bigger and wilder here.  The color is different, too.”

“Lake Evendim is its source,” Aragorn told him.

“And where does it end?”

“Far southwest of the Shire,” Aragorn said.  “It empties into the Sea.”

Frodo felt a shiver of excitement.  The world was so big.

Aragorn gazed at the river, thinking about why they had come.  Frodo was no longer in a hurry to search for the ‘hidden door’, but his own heart burned with curiosity.  What, if anything, had Elendil left behind?  Would it truly be possible to find it in the short time they had?

“Shall we go back?” Aragorn asked after awhile.  “Elladan has had more than enough practice time, not that he needs it.”

“Do you think you can beat him?” Frodo asked.

“No,” Aragorn laughed.  He turned Arthad back toward the lake and urged him into a fast gallop, eliciting whoops from the delighted boy.

*~*~*~*~*

Frodo sat atop one of the huge, tumbled stones, munching apricots and enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun from above and the stone’s smooth surface from below.  Because he had requested it, Aragorn and Elladan were taking turns with Elladan’s bow, demonstrating their archery skills.  Frodo watched with increasing amazement at the trick shots being attempted, first afoot and then from horseback, so difficult they seemed almost magical.  Nearly every shot by Aragorn, and every one by Elladan, was on or near the bullseye -- and the two were gradually moving further and further away from the targets until Frodo wondered how they could even see them.

“Enough!” Aragorn finally cried, signalling the end of the competition.  He and Elladan rode back to where Frodo was sitting, and dismounted.  “Elladan, I concede!”

Elladan bowed low.  “You acquitted yourself well, Estel.  Frodo, did you enjoy the contest?”

“Oh, you were both splendid,” Frodo cried, clapping enthusiastically.  “That was wonderful!”

“Thank you,” Aragorn laughed.

“What about horse racing?” Frodo asked eagerly.  “Which of you would--”

“I suspect that Elladan would win that, as well,” Aragorn said with a twinkle in his eye.  “I believe Romaryn has learned to read his thoughts; I have seen only one other horse respond more quickly to another’s will.”

“Who?”

“He refers to my brother, Elrohir,” Elladan said, lifting Frodo down from the stone.  “My parents sensed in us certain potentials, and named us accordingly.  Elrohir is the ‘horse lord’ of Imladris.  That is Rivendell,” he explained.

“And you...” Frodo pondered.  “El-adan?  Elf man?  What does your name say of you?”

“I have a strong affinity for the race of Men, such as they who built this city.  I am most curious about their ways and histories, and have endeavored to learn all I can.”

“Is that why you wished to accompany Estel on this trip?” Frodo asked.

“Indeed,” Elladan nodded.

“We are in for a bit of rain,” Aragorn said, eyeing the clouds and sniffing the air.  “We will have to delay our treasure hunt until tomorrow.  Elladan, why don’t you see to the horses, then gather the spent arrows.  Frodo, will you kindle a fire in the pit inside the shelter while I see if the fish are still biting?  The air will chill quickly as soon as the sun sinks behind the hills.”

“Of course!  And I’ll find long sticks for roasting the potatoes.”  Frodo scurried off, calling for Scamp to join him.

Elladan gazed after Frodo, his expression somber.

“What is it?” Aragorn asked.

Elladan turned to his foster brother.  “I do not sense that the Shirefolk have seen bow or arrow used for anything other than sport, or finding meat for the pot.”

“Not since the time of Bandobras Took,” Aragorn replied.

“I hope it remains thus.”

“So do I,” Aragorn said softly.   He looked around.  “Had I been born another man’s son, Elladan, or were the times less perilous, I might have built a home here, or founded a small, northern settlement for our people.”

“Perhaps someday this city will regain its former glory, my brother,” Elladan said quietly.

“Perhaps,” Aragorn smiled.  “In the meantime, the eagles wait patiently for whatever is to come... and I must continue to do the same.”

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List