Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

For All the Gold In Harad  by Elendiari22

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back when I’m done.

Author’s Note: The song here is a Scottish folk song called ‘Flowers of the Forest’. Verses have been omitted and words changed to make it fit with this story.

Chapter Eight: In Which There Are Answers

As the old man told his story, Eldarion felt his heart begin to pound hard in his chest. It was a story that started happily, then swiftly turned bitter, then sad, then heartbreaking. He felt rather like crying as the fisherman proceeded.

“The ruling family of Harad was not directly involved in the War of the Ring, you know. They supplied weapons and supplies to the southern armies, but in essence preferred to keep out of the direct conflict.

“After the war, the king of that land, the princess’s grandfather, swore allegiance to the High King in Gondor, and all was peaceful for a time. The princess grew up a bit, and married a young man of her choosing, which is noticeable in that it shows how dear she was to her old granddad. The couple had a child, a boy, who grew into a fine child.

“Now, around the time that the child was six, troubles began for the ruling family, and the princess’s husband went up to fight in his lord’s army, against the rogues who wanted to overthrow him. But their company was caught in an ambush, far out in the desert. And while the prince was fighting, he disappeared. None of his company knew what had become of him, and their enemies never offered to parlay him for ransom. It was assumed he was dead.

“And while the princess was struck down in her grief, her little son fell ill. There is a fever in Harad, that when you get it, it is unlikely that you survive. And so she sat by and watched as her little lad passed, and when he was gone, there was nothing left for her. And so, as her family fell around her, sinking to the position of mere nobles, she sought exile in the northern lands. She wanted nothing more of her people, of her country. And now it is said that she has befriended the King’s family,” the fisherman said.

Eldarion did not quite register that the fisherman knew who he was, nor did he care. It had never occurred to him that Seraphine had come to Gondor because of tragedy. He had never thought that she might have had a family once. He had expected something to have sent her away from Harad-the loss of her kingdom, perhaps-but nothing like this. Slightly numb, he stood and thanked the man and his grandson, then ran back up to the palace. He did not stop until he reached the balcony where his mother sat, embroidering. Eldarion, who did not often cuddle anymore, climbed straight into her lap and stayed there, curled up, until it was time for tea.

*****

That evening, after swimming and sailing and having a fine but simple dinner of fish and vegetables, Eldarion summed up the courage to talk to the princess. He had wondered what he could possibly say to her all day, but he knew he could not stay quiet. And so, before bedtime, he walked down the corridor to her chambers and knocked on the door. When she called out, he opened it and slipped inside.

Lady Seraphine was sitting in a soft chair, reading. She had lowered the book and was watching him with a slight smile.

“Hello, Eldarion,” she said gently. “Have you come to tell me what upset you today?”

Whatever he had expected, it wasn’t that. “Er,” Eldarion said. “Yes. I think so. I mean, I heard a story today, about you, and it upset me, and I don’t know what to think.”

Seraphine raised an eyebrow, not archly, just curiously. She looked like she could guess what he was going to say. Hastily, he recounted the story that the fisherman had told him, stumbling over the words. As he spoke, Seraphine’s face grew more and more like marble, and she looked down at the floor.

“It is true, what he said to you, Elda,” she said at last, her voice sad. “I was married to my best friend and true love when I was fifteen-that is the marrying age, in Harad-and we had our child a few years later. When they were all gone, it took me nearly three years to be able to come here. I have heard no word from my love, and I do believe him to be dead.” She paused, looked up at Eldarion, smiled. “But that is in the past, and we have no cause to dwell on it. I am sorry you had to hear the story from someone else; I should have told you myself.”

“Are you angry at me?” Eldarion asked.

Seraphine shook her head, her eyes kind. “No, of course not. You heard a tale about me and you wanted to know if it was true. There is nothing to be angry about.”

Eldarion swallowed, and went to hug her. “It’s all right, really, you can be our family now,” he said. “Father has all sorts of family who isn’t ours by blood, like Uncle Eomer, and the Steward’s family. You’re our friend. Please don’t be sad.”

Seraphine smiled, and impulsively kissed the top of his head. “I’m all right, Elda, truly. Here, would you like to hear a song? My man often sang it; it was one of his favorites.” Without waiting for a reply, she began to sing softly,

I've seen the smiling
Of fortune beguiling,
I've tasted her pleasures,
And felt her decay;
Sweet is her blessing,
And kind her caressing,
But now they are fled
And fled far away.

I've seen the morning,
With gold hills adorning,
And loud tempests storming,
Before parting day,
I've seen Harad’s silver streams,
Glittering in the sunny beams,
Grow drumlie and dark,
As they rolled on their way

O fickle fortune!
Why this cruel sporting?
Oh! Why thus perplex
Us poor sons of a day?
Thy frown cannot fear me,
Thy smile cannot cheer me,
Since the flowers o' the desert
Are all gone away.

It was a mournful sort of song, but there was a nice rhythm to it, and Eldarion thought that he quite liked it. It fitted rather nicely to the rest of the stories that Seraphine had told him. He wondered, now, if there were any happy stories in Harad, but he did not ask.

“And now, it is time for you to be in bed,” Seraphine said. “Don’t be sad, Eldarion. Life happens. And it goes on.”

Eldarion nodded and went to the door. “Good night, Lady Seraphine,” he said.

“Good night, Elda. Sleep well.”

That, Eldarion thought, was going to be highly unlikely.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List