Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

For All the Gold In Harad  by Elendiari22

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back when I’m done.

Author’s Note: Positive feedback is loved and appreciated.

Chapter Three: In Which Eldarion Gains a Tutor

It was a very hot day for this time of the spring when Seraphine set out for the palace. She had wound her hair up into a workable knot and was wearing a simple cotton chemise under her light silk gown, but was still thankful to reach the cool inner sanctums of the royal family.

A valet showed her into a small parlor and left her. Seraphine stood looking at the paintings on the walls, waiting for the Queen to come. They were fine paintings, scenes from Elvish lore. The colors were muted but rich, the characters blending into the woodlands of the background. The Elf lady was dancing, or fleeing, or both. Luthien, then. Seraphine smiled. Excellent craftsmanship.

“Do you enjoy the paintings, my lady?”

The princess turned and bowed low as Queen Arwen entered the room. The queen shook her head and gestured for her to rise.

“Please, princess, I hope to be on even footing with you,” she said lightly. “Do sit down.”

Seraphine sat down in a comfortable chair, across a small table from Arwen. A maidservant set a tea tray on the table and took herself away. Arwen poured two cups of tea, passed one to Seraphine, and sat back. The two women frankly studied each other.

Arwen saw a tall young woman with dark hair and eyes, and an olive complexion. She was dressed in fine but not flamboyant silk gown, lavender with flowing sleeves and a sash the color of marigolds. There was a color of gold and gems on her throat. The Haradric woman was beautiful, exotic, and refined, with a grace unpossessed by many of the noble women in Gondor. And there was intelligence in her eyes.

Seraphine, for her part, saw an ageless and wise woman with humor and kindness plainly written across her face. She obviously knew much of what occurred in her kingdom, and cared deeply about her family and her people. A woman with such traits was widely revered in Harad, and often asked for council. The princess had heard that the queen ruled alongside her husband. She was not surprised.

“Lady Seraphine, I asked you here today to discuss my son, Eldarion,” Arwen said at last. “His tutor has recently retired, leaving him to his own devices. Eldarion told me he has sought you out, and is delighted with what you have taught him.”

“He is a precocious child, my Queen,” Seraphine replied. “And eager to please. His imagination is great.”

Arwen nodded. “Precisely. His tutors thus far have ignored it.”

Seraphine frowned. “Discouraging imagination is hardly a way to teach a child. Forgive me, my queen, but I believe that a future ruler needs both imagination and logic to rule a land properly.”

“And on that very idea, I would like to offer you the position of royal tutor, Lady Seraphine. What do you think of it?”

Seraphine sat back in her seat, contemplating it. A position would mean an income, and her family’s money would not last forever. Teaching was honorable; she had enjoyed teaching before. But the novelty of learning with her now was that Eldarion was not obligated to come. Seraphine doubted that the same appeal would hold if Eldarion was told that she would be overseeing his education. When she said as much, Arwen nodded again.

“The summer is approaching, Lady Seraphine,” she said. “Perhaps we may try an experiment. Eldarion can continue to seek you out for entertainment, as I am sure he will, and you teach him without his knowing, as you have been doing thus far. Perhaps then he will agree to you as an official tutor in the autumn. Some of the best learning is achieved when you do not realize you are being educated, after all.”

Seraphine laughed and had to agree. “In that case, I will take the position, with much thanks.”

When Seraphine returned to her house later that afternoon, she went to her desk and began to make notes. A summer holiday presented much that to be learned while still being amusing. She and the queen had discussed many aspects of lessons and ideas while at tea, with the queen presenting what she and the King desired their son to gain from his education. It appeared that they were open to nearly everything. Elessar had walked the world before he became King. Their son had a lot of experience to live up to.

Seraphine had quite enjoyed the tea meeting. Instead of being the aloof and untouchable monarchs to whom she was used, Elessar and Arwen were kind and loving. The princess herself had rarely seen her parents; the closeness of family was something that she appreciated. She had know it once, for a short time. A kind of ache filled her, and she pushed it away swiftly and concentrated on making her notes. The past was past; there was no use in dwelling on it. Seraphine dipped her pen into a pot of ink and began to write.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List