Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Centenary of Special Significance  by Baggins Babe

Foreyule 1430

Beneath overcast skies a group of hobbits gathered near the gates of the Cotton's farm. Rose, Sam, Frodo and the children were all there, with a cart full of goods, Tully Noakes had ventured over with some packages, May was there and gradually it seemed that most of Hobbiton and Bywater had turned out to give the adventurers a good send-off.

       Elanor sighed. "I wish we could go."

       "The White City sounds wonderful!" added Frodo-lad.

       "I gather Persimmon was not pleased to learn that her family would not be going," Frodo said. "The Smials are still reverberating I believe."

       Tom Cotton chortled. "I can imagine. That little lass has a temper!"

       Blossom was nervous but also excited. The last few months had flown by in a flurry of preparations, packing, making and buying new clothes, finding gifts for the King. She had butterflies in her stomach and so many thoughts rushed through her mind as she waited. Supposing the other wives were snobbish and would not talk to her? They were the wives of gentlehobbits after all. Perhaps the coach would make her ill? She had never travelled in a coach before. What if she reached the Bridge and could not face leaving the Shire?

       Rose and May were supervising the loading of the large cart, Rose scolding her brothers as they lifted the boxes and packages.

       "You be especially careful with those boxes there, young Nibs, or there'll be trouble. If I hear that the contents of those were broken when you reached Gondor, you'd better not bother coming back!"

       "Stop fussing, sis! What is in there anyways?"

       "The King's birthday cake, that's what. I made it and May iced it, and we don't want the icing shaken to pieces. I've packed it as well as I can, with padding and pillows. And don't you go telling the King there's a cake, do you hear? He's not to know. Lady Arwen wants it to be a surprise, so he's to think we didn't send one."

       Jolly chuckled. "Poor man.........his wife sounds a mischievous tease." He looked at Blossom. "Alright, lass?"

       "Just a bit scared now it's come to it."

       "You'll be fine," said Rose. "You've met Big Folk after all - and they don't come any taller than the King and his cousins. Besides, you do know the other lasses a little. And little Fredegund will keep you amused - they say he's very much like Pippin was as a faunt, Valar help us! We're all proud of you."

       Blossom smiled gratefully and hugged her sister-in-law. Nibs gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and murmured, "Here we go, dearling." She heard the rumble of carriage wheels and the sound of hooves and the others appeared round the turn of the road.

       Isumbrand Took doffed his hat, revealing sandy auburn curls. "Good morning, friends. At least it isn't raining on us." He dismounted and walked over to shake hands with everyone. Gilibard Whitfoot followed suit. He was a good-looking hobbit, dark haired with hazel eyes, who was a lawyer by profession and had no desire to follow his father as Mayor.

      An eager little face was pressed against the carriage window, nose flattened and misting the glass. Fredegund Took was too excited to stay still but jigged up and down as he waved to everyone.

       "See what I mean?" whispered Rose. "You'll be exhausted just watching him!"

       The wives emerged and the child dashed over to greet his idols. "Lo, Uncy Fo! Uncy Sam! Auntie Wosie!" He bounced straight into Frodo's arms, the tiny bells on his trousers jingling with every movement.

       "Hello, Freddy. My! You've grown so big! You'll be another Bullroarer at this rate."

       Freddy beamed and wrapped his arms round Frodo's neck. "We go see Uncy Estel. He having big birfday!"

       "That's right. And are you going to help him have fun?" The lad nodded. "This is Uncle Nibs and Auntie Blossom, and they're going to be travelling with you. Will you look after them for us?"

       "Uh-uh. I big now. Lo, Uncy Nibs. Lo, Auntie Bossom! I look after you!"

       Within seconds Blossom was laughing with the little lad and chattering to the other two wives. Phlox and Marjy were sensible and funny and not at all stuck up. They admired Blossom's cloak, she praised their dresses, and they were soon completely at ease.

       Mrs Cotton brought a tray with cups of mulled cider and hot pasties. Frodo proposed a toast.

       "May you have a safe and cheerful journey and a wonderful time in Rohan and Gondor, and may you miss us as much as we will miss you!"

       "Hear, hear!" Mr Cotton drained his glass, embraced his son and kissed his daughter-in-law. "Give the King our love and make sure he has the best birthday ever."

       "We will, da. See you in about six months then."

       Mrs Cotton tucked a bag of food into the carriage and ruffled little Freddy's hair. "Mind how you go, and tell the King we'll be celebrating his birthday with feasts in every village."

       Nibs hopped up on the cart, Isumbrand drove the coach, Gil mounted his pony and led the other one, and Blossom climbed inside the coach. Freddy clambered on to her lap and waved as Brand clicked his tongue and the ponies moved off.

                                                                        ************

       They spent the night at the Floating Log and set off early the next morning. It was damp and misty at first but as they approached the Bridge the mist was being burned away by the sun. There was quite a crowd waiting - Merry and Pip with their wives and babies, Saradoc and Esme, and Lord Tarondor accompanied by two other Rangers. With Merry was another obvious Brandybuck with sandy hair, and standing beside him was a lovely-looking lass carrying a baby while a lad slightly younger than Freddy scuffed about on the verge.

       Introductions were made and Blossom found herself cradling baby Jonquil while Nibs bounced an excited Tornilac.

       "So, Mistress Minta, this is the secret you were hiding when we visited in the Spring?" said the Steward.

       "I wasn't hiding her very successfully, my lord. She arrived three days after you and the King left."

       The Steward laughed and leaned down to look at the baby, who patted his face with one tiny hand. Tarondor introduced the other Rangers as Aldamir and Halacar, both clearly Dunedain with their dark hair and grey eyes.

       Freddy wandered towards the door of the Ranger post and his father called after him, "Freddy! Where are you going?"

       "Wanna see........" The lad toddled inside and paused. On a settle, lost in thought, was a very tall Man with a star clasp on his cloak. There was grey in his hair and beard and he looked very stern. The children of the Bree-lands did not normally approach this one, who earned the name 'Straight-face.' However, Freddy was a Took and completely undeterred by the forbidding exterior. He stood in front of the Man, evaluating him. Then he bowed.

        "Fedigund Took at your service, and your family's," he announced to a somewhat startled Ranger.

       "Erithain, son of Haladar, at your service, Master Took." He stood and bowed before resuming his seat. Freddy continued to look at him in a concerned fashion for a moment, then scrambled up beside him and stared into his face.

       "Is oo sad?" he enquired.

       Erithain looked nonplussed, but a small smile quirked his lips. "No, young master, not really. But I suppose I do not smile very often." It was many years since a child had approached him so freely.

       "Oo should!" said Freddy firmly, reaching out to push the corners of the Man's mouth into a bigger smile. "Nice." He stood on the settle, head tilted on one side. "Feel better?"

       "Much better." Erithain looked up as his Steward peered round the door frame. "My lord! I'm afraid I've been idling here."

       "Experiencing the healing power of hobbits, I see, my friend. There is no great hurry."

       "No, I am ready. I was just gathering my thoughts. Come, Master Took. We are off to Gondor."

       Freddy hopped down and trotted outside, his furry feet moving quickly across the flagstones. Waiting outside was Erithain's horse, and Freddy stopped, open-mouthed at the splendid dapple-grey.

       "You like my horse, little master?" The faunt nodded, giggling as the creature leaned down and huffed into his hair. "She is very beautiful, is she not? Her name is Gilmarien and she was a gift from Rivendell." He took an apple from his pocket, drew a knife from his belt and cut it into quarters. "Would you like to give her an apple?" He placed a portion in Freddy's hand and watched in approval as the lad held it out, hand flat. Gilmarien lipped the treat gracefully into her mouth and looked for more.

       Freddy looked at the Man as he mounted the horse. "Come wif oo?" he asked, holding up his arms.

       "Now Freddy don't go bothering the Captain."

       The child's lip trembled. "Not botherwing................"

       Erithain interjected hastily, "No, no, Master Isumbrand, he is certainly not being a bother. If you and my Lord Steward have no objections I would be happy to take Master Freddy with me. He is delightful company I have to say."

        Freddy turned, poked his tongue out at his father and allowed one of the other Rangers to lift him up. Once seated, he favoured everyone with a seraphic smile, emerald eyes sparkling with mischief.

        Not to be outdone, Tornilac begged to ride with Aldamir. Araminta settled herself in the coach with the baby in her arms, final farewells were said, another cart was added to the number and the travellers began their journey in earnest on the East Road to Bree.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List