Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mardil Goes A-Courting  by Le Rouret

“You cannot be serious, Legolas!” exclaimed Mardil.

Legolas carefully schooled his features to reflect simple politesse and decided henceforth to ignore all his friends’ assertions that he was steeped in frivolity. He shifted upon the thickly cushioned seat in the low hall and picked up a beautifully carven silver goblet; it threw back the torch-light and gleamed upon his glittering blue robe. He was thankful Ethring was high enough in elevation to alleviate the heat, and Múrin’s Great Hall was built back into the side of the mountain, and the air was cool and damp within. In midwinter this was an impediment, and Mardil Lord of Ethring was constrained to set the peat-fires burning; but in high summer it was a pleasant change from the oppressive heat outdoors. Legolas turned to his friend the Silver Knight, who was resplendent in a peacock-colored doublet, silver grapevines embroidered throughout, the sigil of the house of Múrin. Mardil of Ethring was staring at his friend in horror, his handsome face aghast.

“I assure you, O Mardil, I am in earnest,” said Legolas, taking a sip of wine. “Ah! Is this from your ten-year reserve Mardil? And you drew this from your cellars just for me! I am flattered; this is a kingly vintage.”

“But – but – that child!” The Silver Knight cut himself off when a servant approached to bring out the pheasant; when the man had retired the knight continued in a low voice: “Do you wish my fellow knights and vassals to think me a salacious letch, a wanton?” He looked angry and provoked and his hands as they picked up the carving-knife were trembling. “To take to wife a young girl, and at my age – “

“At your age you have little time to lose,” said Legolas reasonably. He watched Mardil dismantle the left leg of the bird and said impatiently: “Here, give me the carving-knife; you are making poor work of it in this state.”

Mardil surrendered the knife; he looked very upset. “She is – what is she now – fifteen – “

“Sixteen, Mardil,” said Legolas easily, splitting the breast-skin. The juicy pale meat burst forth with a crack and the Elf sawed through the tender flesh.

“Sixteen!” said Mardil agitatedly. “A child!”

“A pretty child though,” said Legolas with a smile. “What flavor meat will you take, my friend?”

“I am no longer hungry,” said Mardil weakly, and rubbed his face with his hands. Legolas turned to him; the Silver Knight looked a bit wild about the eyes and his face was very white. Legolas lay the carving-knife down and patted his friend’s trembling hand solicitously.

“There, there!” he said, his voice gentle. “You did ask me O Mardil to find for you a suitable bride and I have done so; I had expected thanks not criticism for my choice.”

“And I,” said Mardil, stung, “expected a reasonable age for said bride!”

“Sixteen is reasonable,” protested Legolas. “She knows her own mind at least, and has ceased growing – that is something.”

“But – sixteen – “

“Many maids wed at sixteen,” said Legolas practically. “She is of child-bearing age.”

“Yes, but sixteen-year-old maids habitually wed sixteen-year-old esquires and young lords,” protested Mardil. “She could be my daughter, Legolas! Why I am forty – “

“And hale enough still I am certain,” said Legolas picking up the carving-knife once more. “I shall give you some breast; you are looking slightly pale.”

“I am pale because I am dismayed,” cried Mardil. “Legolas, how could you do this? Have you gone mad?”

“You as I recall laid few restrictions upon my search, my friend,” said Legolas equably. “Would you like a taste out of each breast?”

“I must have said something – “ Mardil racked his brain, his hands on either side of his head, elbows on the edge of the table, a testament in incivility to his dismay. “I said a maid of suitable age – “

“Which she is. Sixteen is eminently suitable. Fat from the neck, some skin? A little leg, perhaps?”

Mardil caught the wicked twinkle in the Elf’s eye and went scarlet. “Legolas! “

The Green Knight grinned impudently at his blushing friend. “I declare Mardil, you are more innocent than she! Come my friend, and eat some of this excellent bird; if for no other reason than to regain your composure. Why Araval’s daughters giggle quite appreciatively when I carve a fowl accompanied by such comments.”

“Araval!” Mardil looked stricken. “And Araval! How could he give one of his precious daughters, his very issue unto me? They are the light of his life, his most cherished possessions! And you have managed to convince him – no, I will never believe it Legolas – “

“He has but daughters and no sons,” said Legolas, putting a generous helping of pheasant on his friend’s trencher. “That is such an impediment for a man, you know, especially in these hard times. He needs sons-in-law he can trust, who can not only raise the fortunes of his family but treat his beloved daughters well. I did argue this to him and he conceded; why do you object?”

“I had thought you would get for me a girl whose father I knew not – not a friend’s daughter!” cried Mardil, greatly distressed. “Araval as a father to me – Araval! He is near my age!”

“Have a potato,” said Legolas comfortingly. “It will make you feel better.” He exchanged a look with his little esquire Bandobras, who hovered by his Master’s side. The Hobbit was engaged in simultaneously pouring the wine and attempting to force his smile into a severe frown. “And mushrooms,” Legolas added on inspiration. “Bandobras made them himself and you must try them, Mardil!”

“But – Araval – how could he agree to this?” asked Mardil weakly, watching Legolas heap food on his trencher. “He has just married off the eldest girl – he cannot possibly afford to pay a reasonable dowry – “

“That has been taken care of,” said Legolas firmly. “Eat, Mardil! You will need all your wits and vigor about you if you are to wed a strong young girl you know.”

“Wait – “ Mardil turned to Legolas, his brows lowered. “Araval has an older daughter – “

“Telinath,” agreed Legolas, filling his own trencher with dark meat and gravy. “But she is spoken for.”

Mardil stared at Legolas in horrified disbelief. “Sixteen - !”

“Pretty as a picture too,” piped up Bandobras, bringing round the wine-jug. “All Araval’s daughters are pretty. And she’s the only one with dark hair you know; she’ll fit right in here with you.”

“But – I – “ Mardil cast about himself helplessly looking very lost. “What – what is her name again?”

“Deniel,” said Legolas, helping himself to some mushrooms. “She is quite agreeable to the entire scheme. Actually she is agreeable to anything; I have never heard her protest; she is very easy. And the wedding will be nice, Mardil; Faramir and Éowyn have agreed to let us use their Great Hall and servants, and Dol Galenehtar will provide the comestibles.” He cast a critical eye upon the brilliant doublet in which Mardil had clothed himself and added, “And I believe I shall request of Dúrfinwen she construct for you proper wedding garments – would you prefer a doublet or a robe and sash? The robe is more of an Elvish tradition – “

“Legolas,” protested Mardil, turning very red. “I am confounded by your generosity – no, truly, I am, my friend; you display every superlative trait in munificence and I should be churlish indeed to balk at your liberality – but I – “ He turned away, deeply embarrassed. “A sixteen-year-old girl!” he muttered under his breath, cheeks mantled. “I should – that is, my neighbors – what – what will everyone think?”

“The men I’ll bet will think you right lucky,” piped up Bandobras with a grin. “Why, a pretty young thing like that – “

“Bandobras,” chided Legolas as Mardil made a strangled noise in the back of his throat. “Mardil is correct; the difference in their ages may cause some small stir amongst the gossip-hounds in the courts. But no fear my friend,” he said cheerfully to the Silver Knight; “All you have to do is to tell them I was your matchmaker, and Araval to say the same; none shall blame you in this nor accuse you of grasping after the tender shoot upon the vine – do you know I first chose for you Elwen who I still contend is the better match for you, but at fourteen – “

“Fourteen!” Mardil went so white Bandobras feared he would swoon, and solicitously pressed an iced biscuit to the back of the Silver Knight’s neck. Mardil batted it aside impatiently and said to Legolas: “Fourteen! Legolas, they are children – “

“Mardil,” said Legolas calmly. “Your age I deem drives you to impose childishness upon those less aged than yourself, and in my mind that smacks of arrogance. Bear in mind, O my friend, that I have achieved more than two millennia over you and have no opinion of an age-difference of a mere twenty or thirty years. One hundred, one thousand, what of it? You need children and she may provide them. Is it so difficult for you to accept that a younger woman is better able to give unto the House of Múrin the heirs demanded of you? And anyway I have noticed that the younger the daughters of Men the firmer and more pliable are their accoutrements, the breasts and buttocks and legs – “

“Legolas – “ Mardil was scarlet, and Bandobras scarcely less so; he restrained his Master with a laugh though and said:

“O Master! Do not say such things; you’ll send Mardil’s heart a-racing, and that’d be poor tactics considering you’ve arranged the wedding to be two months’ off. That’s a terrible long time for a man to wait for the wedding-night, you know, Master.”

Mardil went red, then horribly white; he murmured distractedly: “The wedding-night!” and hid his face in his hands. “That child, the daughter of Araval – “

“Her name is Deniel,” said Legolas firmly, taking his friend by the shoulder and shaking him ‘til he raised his head. “Listen, Mardil! I have at great trouble and expense procured for you the daughter of one of the most respected and beloved knights of the realm. The girl in question is intelligent, frugal, of good nature and very beautiful. The dowry is generous, the wedding and clothes paid-for, and you have naught to do but to sign Bandobras’ documents provided and allow me to arrange the whole thing. In two months’ time you shall be wed, and I shall make this augury, that in less than two years’ time shall you have for yourself an heir, and I swear unto you I shall personally see to his emergence, that the line of Mardil son of Múrin be safeguarded.” Mardil shook his head, but looked at Legolas and smiled weakly.

“Thank you,” he said brokenly. “I did not think – that is, I had hoped – but – it is likely foolish and you will but laugh at me – “ He cut himself off and turned away, deeply embarrassed; Legolas frowned and cocked his head.

“What is it, my friend?” he asked, concerned.

“Well,” said Mardil slowly. “I had thought – that you should find an older woman – and her heart be drawn to me for she was but a widow or spinster – but – “ He blushed crimson and murmured: “This shall be a girl, untried and of pure heart. What hope have I of drawing such a chaste and wholesome soul to one as I? I have known her since infancy, and she has before her many years to be beautiful and beloved – “

“Stop!” commanded Legolas shaking him. “Why do you denigrate yourself, Mardil son of Múrin? Why should a maid like Deniel not be filled with joy to be united with you? You are handsome and strong and just, and better than that in mine eyes you are good and honest and gentle. What maid could not but give her heart to you? And Deniel is the most perfect of all Araval’s daughters – in fact I aver she is more perfect than any maid in Tarlang – she will be a good wife for you, steady and gentle and pure, and an excellent mother to your children. So chin up!” He refilled Mardil’s goblet and his own and took a deep draught. “At the Fall Equinox shall you be wed, and she shall be garbed in white and strewn round with lace and goldenrod in her dark hair, and you shall be in silver and blue and take her to wife in splendor to spend your wedding-night in the private chambers below Dol Galenehtar’s tower. I have taken care of everything, my friend,” he laughed, though Mardil looked sick. “Trust me!” And he gave a wicked laugh, winked at his jolly esquire, and drained his goblet.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List