Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mardil Goes A-Courting  by Le Rouret

“You cannot be serious, Legolas!” said Araval.

He turned to his friend in consternation, heavy brows knit over his eyes. He was perspiring in the late summer heat, and to make matters worse he had injured his leg upon the lists during the tourney in Langstrand, causing him no little discomfort and making him to be less tractable than usual. But the Elf stood tall and composed over him, pouring sweet yellow wine from a cold sweating pitcher into their flagons; he knew wine would soften Araval’s mood and aid him in his arguments.

“I assure you Araval, I am quite serious,” said Legolas sweetly. “Now tell me how sorry you are to have doubted my gravity, and when I am placated I will give you your wine.” He held up the goblet with a sly smile. “Come now,” he coaxed, watching Araval stew uncomfortably in his chair. “Do you not be so peevish Araval; it is unnatural for you and I miss my jolly friend!”

“I would be more jolly were you less aggravating,” said Araval shortly; he leant forward to grasp the flagon from Legolas’ hand but the Elf danced out of his way, laughing. “O you are fortunate, Green Knight, that Malena is away! How she would scold you for mocking me.”

“Say you are sorry,” teased Legolas, holding the wine aloft. Araval gave an aggrieved sigh.

“Very well; you are serious and I am sorry! Now give me the damned cup.”

“Much better,” said Legolas nodding portentously, and handing his friend the flagon. “But you also are fortunate Malena is away, for she would censure you for such language. And before a noble guest too!”

Araval snorted. “I have heard you say worse things,” he said, the corner of his mouth twitching in spite of himself. “Yesterday at the tilt in fact, when Hammer threw that shoe – “

Legolas’ delighted laugh rang out like a bell over the shaded balcony. “Yes; was not the look on Cirien’s face delicious! I was not even aware he knew the word I used; he is so proper – “

“And,” chuckled Araval, “when Fenwine threw you off your horse and you ended in a pile of splinters – “

“Desist! It still stings when I sit.”

“It serves you right then Legolas; it is your recompense for meddling.” Araval took a deep draught and sighed. “Ah! This is a good vintage; it is from your eastern vineyards, is it not?”

“I declare you know my wines better than do I,” said Legolas with a smile. “Do you truly think I am meddling overmuch, Araval?”

The Dun Knight sighed, and looked out over the balcony rail to his lands below. The summer had been hot and dry, and his fields had not fared well; Araval was far too kind-hearted a landlord to overtax his tenants and his coffers were low. He knew Mardil had suffered worse, for Ethring had been in drought for two years, and several of his fellow vassals had given up their seats in despair. “Well, I think the time inauspicious to find him a bride,” he said. “Much as he would love to wed he has not the funds for either a match-maker or a wedding.”

“But that is the beauty of it, Araval!” said Legolas cheerfully. He hitched himself up onto the balcony rail and let his feet swing as he drank. The setting sun ignited his golden hair, and etched his white doublet in flame. “I am match-maker and require no fee; and Faramir has offered his Hall for the wedding-feast. If Mardil is amenable he may wed with no disbursement whatsoever.”

“That is generous of you,” said Araval wryly. “Yet I well know you will not let Mardil off so easy, nor will he take so much of you without recompense. What is your price?”

Legolas shrugged. “To accept full willing my choice of bride,” said he. “I have thought long and hard on it, and have found a maid of good temper and thrifty habits who is quite suitable.”

“Indeed!” said Araval, surprised. “Is she agreeable? I would not like to see Mardil in any less than domestic bliss, or at least felicity.”

“Very agreeable! And easy on the eyes as well. Mardil is so handsome; it would not do to pair him with a homely maiden.”

“Hm,” said Araval thoughtfully, taking another deep draught. “For myself I like to see one handsome and one homely in every marriage; that way the children even things out somewhat. For when two handsome folk wed the children are usually quite fair, yet the poor ugly ones like me need a dram of good-looking blood in their lines to produce pretty girls.” Legolas chuckled but did not reply, and the two sat in the sweltering heat and drank their wine in silence for a while. At last Araval’s curiosity got the better of him and he prompted: “Well, is her father a good man? Upright, steadfast, loyal and true? For you join house to house and the line of Mardil son of Múrin is an ancient one and worthy of high standing.”

“Her father is an excellent man,” said Legolas stoutly. “Honest, affable, courteous and well-liked. The kin are models of familial constancy and they are well respected.”

“Hm,” said Araval again. He drained his flagon, and Legolas solicitously refilled it. “Well,” said the Dun Knight slowly, with the air of one who reluctantly concedes to a poorly-worded treaty, “What is the name of this maid, and of her house? Whom have you chosen for our dear friend the Silver Knight?”

Legolas coughed. “Well, I have chosen Elwen daughter of the Dun Knight, O Araval,” he said carefully.

Araval spluttered into his drink, and setting his flagon down with a thunk upon the side-table he stared aghast at Legolas, who looked apologetic. “Elwen!” he exclaimed. “My little Elwen!”

“Yes,” admitted Legolas, biting his lip, but his eyes twinkled. “As I said she is agreeable and fair – “

“Legolas!”

“Her father well-respected and her family of suitable rank – “

“She is fourteen!”

“Fifteen next month,” said Legolas, wagging his finger at the knight, who gaped at him, appalled.

“No!” roared Araval, banging his meaty fist on the arm of his chair and sending the silver flagon clattering to the tile floor. “You are – he is – No!”

“I will pay the dowry – “

“Enough!” Araval staggered to his feet and lurched over to where Legolas sat upon the balcony rail. His face was dark with anger. “Fourteen, Legolas – fourteen!”

“But she is so affable,” protested Legolas, smiling at Araval. “All your daughters are. They are so like you, Araval – well not at the moment – I have never seen you lose your temper before; does your foot pain you so badly?”

“If all my daughters are so affable why Elwen?” demanded Araval, thumping his fist on the balcony beside Legolas. “A shame it is Telinath is walking out with Archad’s esquire - why not Deniel? At least she is sixteen!”

“Elwen is prettier,” shrugged Legolas. “I said I wanted a pretty maid for Mardil, remember.”

“Deniel is the prettiest of my daughters,” said Araval angrily. “With her dark hair and pale eyes – “

“But Mardil already has dark hair and pale eyes,” protested Legolas. “Do you not want your grand-children to be fair-hared?”

“Grand-children!” Araval went white and staggered back, and Legolas hopped off the balcony rail to help him to sit again. “Grand-children by my old friend Mardil! Heaven help me!” He passed a hand over his sweating forehead, and Legolas fetched his goblet and refilled it.

“He would make a good father,” said Legolas. “And an excellent son-in-law. You already know he is a good man, Araval; he is courteous and honest and just and brave. He will make Elwen an excellent husband.”

“He is too old,” said Araval, taking an agitated gulp of wine. “He is forty – “

“And hale and strong yet,” said Legolas. “Pasty?” He held out the platter to the Dun Knight, who snatched one up with ill grace and took a bite. As he chewed he glared at the Elf, who stood smiling and composed over him.

“Damn you, Legolas,” he growled after he had eaten the pasty. “I know Mardil would make some maid a good husband, and some knight an excellent son-in-law – “

“So why not Elwen and you?” asked Legolas reasonably. “O do be sensible, Araval! You like Mardil well enough, and he is a welcome visitor in your home. Your wife and daughters know and like him too. Would it not be wise to have a husband to one of your children you know you can trust? It would save much worry and concern that might occur should Elwen choose a man you know not. And remember I will pay the dowry, which benefits everyone.”

“You would have to pay all three dowries to get me to concede,” said Araval with grim satisfaction, shaking his head and taking another pasty.

“I can do that,” said Legolas easily. “I purchased some peach orchards in Edhellond, and have several docks in Erui. My harvest last fall was quite bounteous.”

Araval stared at him. “You cannot be serious.”

“Again, I am, my friend.”

“Three dowries – “

“Three very generous dowries, O Araval. And I shall make up to Calima the difference in the dowry you paid out for her marriage last spring.”

Araval glared. “You think to purchase my daughters – “

“Not your daughters, O Araval,” said Legolas gently. “Simply your conciliation. For poor loyal Mardil is in straited means and this benefits him as well, you know.”

“We have not the capital for another wedding,” grumbled Araval. “I could not possibly afford – “

“Faramir of Emyn Arnen and his White Lady have generously offered their Great Hall and butteries to Mardil and his new bride,” said Legolas. “And as always the pantries and kitchens of Dol Galenehtar are at your disposal.” He smiled. “And the cellars, too, of course.”

“The gowns – “ spluttered Araval desperately, but Legolas waved one long white hand in dismissal of such a trivial thing.

“Are not the tailors and seamstresses of my demesne renowned for their fine work? My wedding-gift from the Lord of Dol Galenehtar and his seamstresses to the daughters of Araval shall be their wedding-costumes.”

“And the trousseaus as well?” asked Araval angrily. But Legolas gave a sweet smile.

“Silks and satins, velvets and ribbons and lace and pearls. All, Araval.” He gave the Dun Knight a sly smirk. “I will even concede four new gowns for your dear Malena – one for each daughter. When, O Araval my friend, did your lovely Lady Wife last have a new gown, much less four at once?”

“Leave Malena out of this!” shouted Araval, banging his fist on the arm of his chair once more; Legolas laughed.

“And a new doublet for you,” he said, his eyes sparkling. “Now then!”

Araval scowled at the Elf. “You are bribing me!”

Legolas cocked his head thoughtfully; his long pale hair fell like a shining curtain round his shoulders. “Well, yes, if logic fails a bribe usually succeeds.” He grinned at Araval. “I cannot see you lose anything in this, my friend. Elwen weds well to a fine man, your womenfolk are appeased with fine vestments, and your coffers are given time to breathe and recuperate. So? What do you say, dear Araval? Do you concede?”

Araval stared past Legolas to the sere fields below, chewing on his lip. In his eyes was the look of a man pushed past concession into obligation, and he frowned fiercely into his grey-streaked beard. He shook his head again, but with resignation this time.

“Your exchequer will hate you at the end of it,” he said at last, and the Elf smiled. “Three dowries, you said? Very well, but it must needs be Deniel not my little Elwen, for Deniel is the elder of the two and ought to wed first.”

“Very well!” said Legolas cheerfully. “I think Elwen would have been the wiser choice, but any of your daughters will do, Araval; Mardil will be glad to have a girl so fair and happy. I shall have Bandobras draw up the necessary documents.”

“Elwen, indeed!” grumbled Araval. “I think you wished to force Elwen on Mardil to keep her falling in love with yourself.” He held out his goblet to his friend; Legolas filled it without comment. “She is too fond of you, has always been. But I suppose she is young yet and all her calf’s-eyes mean naught to a warrior as old and experienced as are you.”

“Perhaps,” Legolas conceded, lowering his eyes so Araval did not see the laughter in them. He turned away from the knight and sat down, also fixing his eyes upon the fields below; but round his lips played a wicked little smile.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List