Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Through the Generations  by Elemmírë

Through the Generations

By: Elemmírë

Summary: A favorite real-life story of mine The Very Hungry Caterpillar takes on a hobbity twist.

Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings does not belong to me, nor am I making any profit off either its story or characters. The Very Hungry Caterpillar belongs to author Eric Carle and publisher, Penguin Young Readers Group.

Author's Note: Written for Marigold's Tale Challenge 36 in which I had to write a story about any sort of 3rd Anniversary with the following elements: a packet of lembas, a raft, & the Three Farthing Stone.

 

Hobbiton, not far from The Hill

14th Solmath, 1311

"Stowy!" begged (and demanded) three-year old Drogo Baggins to his father.

"I knew you were going to say that, my lad," Fosco sighed. He stared down at his small son, who lay on his back clutching his covers in both chubby hands, and gave in to the deep brown eyes staring imploringly up at him from the little bed. And how could he not? Today was the third anniversary of the wee one's birth, after all; Drogo had officially left infancy forever and was hereby a faunt.

Fosco sat down on the edge of the little one's bed. "And what story would you like to hear before sleep, Drogo-lad?" he asked, a hopeful tone in his voice. It had fallen to him tonight to put his son to bed as his lovely wife, Ruby, was down the hall giving their eldest child a much-needed bath after the rather messy birthday party. Fosco could hear young Dora's giggles as she splashed about in the tub and hoped the lass was not taxing Ruby overmuch, for she was with child again and expecting sometime in Forelithe.

"Cat'piller stowy, Da!" the newly-turned three-year old hobbit crowed with delight. "Pwease?"

"Somehow I knew you were going to choose that particular one." Fosco tweaked his lad's little pointed nose, making the child laugh aloud. His son requested the same bedtime story every night ... but, he was a Baggins after all and was so far doing a rather admirable job of not doing anything deemed as being adventurous or saying anything unexpected. Then again, Drogo was also part Bolger--and they were well-known for having an innate fondness for food ... more so than the average hobbit, which is saying quite a lot.

And so, Fosco Baggins began the telling of his son's favorite tale: "In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf.† ..... One sunny Spring morning, the egg hatched into a caterpillar. He lived in the Shire and was green, yellow, and was fuzzy upon his back. He was a very Hungry little caterpillar ...."

Little did Fosco Baggins know that his simple story about a hungry little caterpillar that ate his way through Hobbiton until he grew into a butterfly, would become so very popular amongst subsequent generations of hobbit children. His own three children grew up hearing it repeatedly, as they enjoyed it immensely, learning their colors and counting by the tale.

But Fosco passed on before ever meeting his own grandson, who would grow to love stories and tales even more than Dora, Drogo, and Dudo combined. The simple tale of a very hungry caterpillar grew as each generation added to its telling. And soon, the growing tale became a lesson in geography as well, thus giving the very hungry caterpillar quite an unexpected journey and adventure until he transformed into a beautiful butterfly.

* * * * *

Number One Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

3rd Day of Lithe, 1374

" ... so he went in search of something good to eat,"

Drogo could hear his own beautiful and lovely wife puttering about in the kitchen. Primula was busily preparing a special indoor picnic luncheon for their special lad whilst he tried to distract the youngster from his woes and increasingly itchy skin. Drogo silently hoped the surprise would cheer the little one up.

"What did the very hungry caterpillar find to eat, Da?" Frodo asked curiously.

"Well, my Frodo-lad, the very hungry caterpillar inched his way through the green grass and up a big Hill until he came to a lovely garden. The very hungry caterpillar thought the flowers of the garden were much too pretty to eat--which was just as well since the gardener was busily tending them."

"Was the gardener Master Gamgee?" Frodo asked with an excited curiosity. He liked Master Gamgee; the gardener was always very friendly and polite to him and even let him help plant a flower in Uncle Bilbo's splendid garden once

Drogo smiled down at his son. "Why yes, Frodo, the gardener was indeed Master Gamgee, having taken over the care of Cousin Bilbo's lovely gardens from Master Holman Greenhand.

"Now, the very hungry caterpillar continued on his way over Bag End all the way to the other side of The Hill where there was a large apple orchard. Finding a shiny red apple lying on the ground, the very hungry caterpillar ate his way right through, leaving a caterpillar-sized hole in the middle of the apple. It was very tasty, thought the caterpillar, but he was still very, very hungry and it was only Monday.

"On Trewsday, the very hungry caterpillar inched his way along Bywater Road being very careful of the walking hobbits and their various livestock that were gathering for the Market. It was in back of the Green Dragon on the windowsill of the kitchen, that the caterpillar came across two freshly made blueberry pies that were cooling. The little caterpillar was of course very hungry, so he ate his way through the two pies, licking his feet of the blueberry juice afterwards.

"Now my lad, do you suppose the cook of the Green Dragon was pleased when she came upon her pies and saw the holes where the very hungry caterpillar had eaten through both pies?"

Frodo shook his head, his dark curls tumbling every which way with the movement. "No, Da. I don't suppose the cook was very pleased at all."

Drogo tickled his little one's tummy, eliciting a giggle. "You're absolutely right, my boy. The cook was not pleased at all for she had worked hard all morning making those two pies using the last of the blueberries that she had. The very hungry little caterpillar was safe from the cook's wrath for he had made his way far from the Green Dragon by that time in search of more delicious things to eat. The cook had thought the mischief makers were the local lads anyway. Do you know what marker the very hungry caterpillar stopped at, my lad?" Drogo asked.

"On Hensday, the very hungry caterpillar ate his way through three plump purple plums that had fallen off a farmer's pony cart by the roadside. The plump purple plums were also quite delicious and juicy, but the little caterpillar was STILL hungry.

"By Mersday morning, the green fuzzy caterpillar was lost ... and very hungry. He inched his way along the road until he came to a great big road marker. The very hungry caterpillar did not know it, but he was on the East Road where the Westfarthing, Eastfarthing, and Southfarthing of the Shire met.

Frodo thought for a moment. "The Three-Farthing Stone*?" he guessed.

"That's right, Frodo," Drogo said, pleased at how smart the lad was. "The hungry little caterpillar was now in the very center of the Shire. Which way do you suppose he traveled next?"

* * * * *

Brandy Hall, Buckland

Mid-Astron, 1383

Frodo sat by himself in front of the large round window adorning the wall of Uncle Rory's best sitting room. In the background he could hear Auntie Esme chatting with Aunt Gilda, but his focus was on the Brandywine River in the distance. Frodo stared unblinking at its deceivingly serene waters flowing by and fought back his tears. Today was the third anniversary of his parents' deaths, drowned by the will of the river.

Half an hour later, Frodo was disturbed from his melancholic thoughts when Auntie Esme deposited a squirming Merry onto his lap. "He's just awoken from his nap. Will you please watch him for me, Frodo?" she asked. "I need to help Mother Gilda."

Frodo nodded mutely, putting his arms around the infant hobbit. Esme dropped a kiss atop both Frodo and Merry's curly heads, before giving her pale fosterling a sad smile and supportive squeeze to his shoulder. She knew that today was by far not an easy one for him to bear. She silently hoped that Merry's presence would bring the young orphan some comfort and happiness as the babe usually seemed to be able to do.

Soon after while helping her mother-in-law prepare afternoon tea, Esme heard Frodo's soft but sweet voice narrating a tale to her son, even though the babe couldn't really understand all that was being said to him yet. It was the first time Frodo told Merry this particular tale, but it would not be the last. " ... Staring up at the Three-Farthing Stone, the very hungry caterpillar chose to continue along the East Road. He inched his way along for thirty-six miles, stopping only to eat whatever he came upon along the way, mostly green leaves and other plants. Three days later the caterpillar continued to be very hungry, but the Brandywine River stood in his path. Then about mid-afternoon that Sunday, the caterpillar came to where the Bucklebury Ferry was moored. Smelling the ham and cheese sandwiches the Ferry Hobbit had, the very hungry caterpillar wiggled his way carefully over the mooring rope to the raft itself and into the unsuspecting hobbit's lunch sack. The very hungry caterpillar happily ate a hole through the hobbit's three ham and cheese sandwiches, two raspberry jam-laden scones, one juicy green pear, and a slice of cherry cake.

* * * * *

Brandy Hall, Buckland

12th Wedmath, 1398

" ... The very hungry caterpillar liked Buckland a lot,"

"But whenever he grew tired of the fare served at Brandy Hall or was simply in need of a snack, he could inch his way onto Bucklebury Ferry whenever he wanted to cross the Brandywine River and visit Farmer Maggot. See, in return for being allowed to count the stripes on the caterpillar's back each season in order to predict the weather, Farmer Maggot would leave out ten mushrooms for the very hungry caterpillar to eat. He was still very hungry despite the good farmer's hospitality."

Young Pippin grinned, showing the gap in his smile where he had lost his first baby tooth.

~ ~ ~

It was during a Summer holiday to Bag End to visit Cousins Bilbo and Frodo when the latter again heard the delightful story he remembered sharing with Merry as a faunt not all that long ago. Frodo felt the old familiar pangs of sadness and despair in his heart as brief memories of his own father telling the tale suddenly occupied the tweenager's thoughts.

Frodo was taking Pippin and Merry on a stroll through Uncle Bilbo's famous gardens, when Sam Gamgee was spotted kneeling amongst the geraniums, muttering strongly under his breath. Young Pippin frowned when he spotted what it was that Sam was ready to flatten with the back of his spade and eyeing with much distaste.

"No! Don't!" Pippin cried out, tearing his hands from his cousins' grasp and running forward to stop the gardener's son. "Please don't hurt him! He's just a very hungry caterpillar, Sam." Pippin crouched down in the rich soil and let the fuzzy green caterpillar with the yellow stripe on his back crawl onto his outstretched finger.

"Aye, he's hungry all right. He's eaten holes right through the leaves of Mr. Bilbo's prize geraniums!" Sam was quite dismayed.

Pippin counted the holes Sam pointed out--there were twelve in all. "Well of course! He's very hungry, you know," Pippin exclaimed, as if it were that obvious.

Frodo gave a quizzical little frown, trying no doubt to figure out Pippin's odd behavior, while Merry rolled his eyes.

Sam picked up the creature from the young Took and held it out at arm's length. "But my Gaffer says most caterpillars are a menace and a nuisance! He says some can be helpful with the telling of the weather and keeping certain pests from the crops, but most caterpillars are pests themselves like this one here, make no mistake!"

"Farmer Maggot says they're not and leaves the very hungry caterpillar mushrooms," Pippin retorted. (Frodo grew quite pale at the mention of Farmer Maggot and mushrooms). "In fact, Merry says the caterpillar can take the raft from Buckland across the river whenever he wants in order to visit Farmer Maggot and his fields."

Merry groaned while Sam was even more confused. It was only the young gardener's third time meeting Master Frodo's youngest cousin and he had trouble enough following the sing-song Tookish lilt, let alone Pippin's rampant thought-pattern.

"I think I'd better explain, Sam," Merry said.

After listening to the tale of the hungry caterpillar Sam surmised that perhaps the little green caterpillar liked traveling back and forth across the Shire with a nice family in order to visit his Tuckborough and Hobbiton cousins. "In fact, I bet he's the very same hungry caterpillar in Master Merry's story and he traveled with you and the Brandybucks to visit Mr. Bilbo's garden again."

Unable to ignore Master Pippin's (or Master Frodo's) pleading gaze, Sam could do nothing else but promise not to hurt the real caterpillar he held in his hand ... or any others he came across. With Master Pippin scrutinizing his every move closely, he placed the little caterpillar near a rotten tater that had been pulled earlier that morning. Master Pippin smiled before grabbing Masters Merry and Frodo's hands once more and dragging them on their way.

Frodo was smiling too, very pleased that his grandfather's tale continued on through his younger cousins, even though they had obviously added a few extra details--but then again, so had his own father once and he as well.

Sam sighed as he turned back to his work in the garden. His Gaffer would no doubt have plenty to say if he ever learned of this. Although, it had been a good tale even though there were no Elves in it.

* * * * *

The Great Smials

Year 16 of the Fourth Age (1437 by Shire Reckoning)

Pippin's green eyes twinkled in mirth as he beheld the riveted youngster sitting upon his lap, listening in rapt attention to his father's every word as he himself once had when it had been his beloved cousins doing the storytelling. The older hobbit needed such joy in his life today, for it was the anniversary of his becoming Took and Thain, Paladin having passed from the world three years ago now.

A nudge in the ribs from his young son was all Pippin needed to continue the tale. "... Then one day, an Elf and a Dwarf came to visit their good friends the future Master and Thain, who were sharing a little house together in Crickhollow. The caterpillar was also staying at Crickhollow and remained quite hungry, despite all of the delicious foods the hobbits cooked every day. He was in search of something new to eat so he hitched a ride South, hiding himself in the Elf's quiver of arrows that he always wore slung upon his back.

Seven-year old Faramir Took's mouth dropped open as he listened to the beauty of Rivendell as described to him by his father. He was so caught up in the details of the house once occupied by the great Lord Elrond, that he very nearly forgot about the very hungry little caterpillar whose tale it was being told.

"The very hungry caterpillar enjoyed Rivendell very much for the Elves were lovers of Nature and so were very generous to him and did not mind it when he wormed his way into the great kitchens there. Despite all the lovely and mouth-watering treats the last of the Elves living there made, the very hungry caterpillar found his favorite to be the lembas bread. It was said of the Elven waybread that one bite was enough to fill the stomach of a grown Man.

The little red-haired, freckle-nosed hobbit shook his head. "No, Papa! How many?"

Here Pippin leaned in close and in a very dramatic whisper he said, "It took SIX entire packets of lembas to fill the hungry caterpillar's tummy! And he was STILL VERY hungry afterwards!"

Wee Faramir's green eyes widened in astonishment. "Goodness! It took only four whole lembas to fill up you and Uncle Merry!"

Pippin laughed heartily at his son's reaction before continuing with the story. "The caterpillar remained very hungry and having discovered all the good things there were in the kitchens of Rivendell--and having eaten them all--he wiggled his way up the stocky, axe-bearing Dwarf, snuggling into his nice warm beard for the journey South with his Elven friend."

Faramir (having no doubt inherited his father's voracious appetite) felt his own tummy begin to rumble. He tugged on his father's shirtsleeve to gain his attention. "I'm hungry, Papa," he announced firmly, interrupting the fantastic tale.

"Aye," Pippin agreed wistfully, his own stomach rumbling at the talk of all that good food. And so it was that the current Thain found himself continuing the adventure of the very hungry little caterpillar over twin bowls of lamb and mushroom stew.

* * * * *

14th Solmath, Year 46 of the Fourth Age (1467 by Shire Reckoning)

Bag End, Hobbiton

Thirty-one years later, Faramir sat in Bilbo Baggins' chair by the hearth at Bag End amongst his already numerous nieces and nephews, mostly from his wife's side. Today was his and Goldilocks' third wedding anniversary; Father Sam and Mother Rosie had thrown them both a party they would never forget, but now as the day was winding down and the various guests had left, it was called upon him to share a tale by the fireside and the children gathered eagerly at his furry feet. His lovely Goldliocks sat in Mother Rose's old rocking chair in a corner of the room; their own wee two-year old twins, Boromir and Lilybell settled in her arms, their strawberry-blonde hair shining as bright as their mother's golden tresses. His many in-laws were scattered around the walls of the formal sitting room themselves and Faramir caught his own aging father's eye, along with that of Uncle Merry and Father Sam.

" ... Eventually after many seasons of eating, the very hungry caterpillar could no longer be considered little. He was a big, fat green caterpillar ... and he discovered one day after eating his way through the King's Feast on the celebrated Cormarë--the Ringday festival that all Gondor celebrated--that he was very hungry no more. In fact, the caterpillar had a very bad tummy ache indeed from eating so very much.

"On the 22nd of Halimath, the fuzzy green caterpillar crawled his fat self up the White Tree of Gondor and settled amidst the branches that have been in flower since the Return of the King. The fat caterpillar was very, very sleepy. He spun himself a warm, cozy cocoon and went to sleep. He remained in his cocoon all winter long, sleeping through the snows and cold winds that blew down from Mount Mindolluin.

"When Spring finally arrived, the caterpillar stretched and broke through his cocoon, only to discover that while he'd slept, he'd changed and grown a beautiful pair of multi-colored wings. 'Oh look Adar,' a young voice cried out.

"It was the King and Queen's children, a daughter and son. They had come out to play in the fresh Spring air and upon visiting the budding White Tree, they had discovered the

"A BUTTERFLY!" was the cheerful shout that rang out and echoed throughout the rounded walls of Bag End.

"That's right. The very hungry caterpillar was no more. Now, he was a beautiful butterfly. After his wings were dried, the magnificent new butterfly fluttered about the White Tree. And to this day, he still resides in Minas Tirith drinking the nectar from the Queen's gardens, his colorful and graceful beauty appreciated by all."

Sam gave a proud, yet longing look at the scene displayed about him. Never had the smial been so filled with so many hobbits before--young, old, and in between. 'It's just as Frodo and Mr. Bilbo would have wanted,' he thought to himself.

Pippin silently observed his longtime friend's sad air and gave ol' Merry a nudge. Merry glanced at Sam and frowned. It was later that night when Pippin shared with him the knowledge his Tookish Sight had bestowed upon him not so very long ago. Many years from now, Rosie would eventually grow sick and feeble ... after living a very full life, she would not linger in Middle-earth. Neither would Sam, for in Pippin's vision the Mayor of the Shire was standing at the Grey Havens, Celeborn and Círdan at his sides as they boarded the very last ship to the Undying Lands. The cousins knew in their hearts that they too would age and eventually pass. Merry planned to enjoy his Time with his family and friends; he also had hopes of making one last journey to Rohan to see Éomer and Éowyn before those last years arrived.

Whatever became of them, Pippin knew in his heart of hearts that Sam would see Frodo again ... and perhaps one day share with him the embellished and larger-than-life version of Fosco Baggins' simple tale of a very hungry caterpillar.

~The End~

† line quoted from Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar

*The Three-Farthing Stone was a road marker in the Shire located on the East Road at the point where the Westfarthing, the Eastfarthing, and the Southfarthing met. The marker stood about 36 miles from the Brandywine Bridge and was considered to be at the center of the Shire. While replanting the Shire after the War of the Ring, Sam stood at the Three-Farthing Stone and cast soil from Galadriel's garden into the wind.

Also, Faramir Took was born in the year 9 of the Fourth Age (1430 S.R.). He came of age and married Goldilocks Gamgee (Sam's daughter and sixth child) in the same year, 42 of the Fourth Age (1463 S.R.). Paladin Took died in year 13 of the Fourth Age (1434 S.R.) -- What do you think it is that they discovered?" Faramir asked the many children surrounding him.Do you know how many it took to fill the very hungry caterpillar's tummy, Faramir?"

"However, the Elf and Dwarf--who were also very good friends, by the way--were not going immediately South. No, instead they first headed East past Bree and the Midgewater Marshes to the Last Homely House of Rivendell to visit with their Elven friends, twins Elladan and Elrohir, and their daeradar Celeborn."recently turned sixteen-year old Merry Brandybuck explained to his young cousin, Pippin Took. The eight-year old sat entranced (as Merry once had when it had been Frodo doing the telling), his green eyes wide with fascination as he absorbed every detail of the story, taking it all to heart as any child his age no doubt would.

"The raft was poled across the Brandywine to the Buckland side of the river, where the caterpillar smelled all sorts of delightful and scrumptious dishes being cooked at Brandy Hall. He smiled because he was still VERY hungry ...." a very grown-up Drogo recited to his own little son. Poor Frodo was ill from the chickenpox and was quite disappointed at missing out on going to the Free Fair this Lithe holiday. Instead the nearly six-year old hobbit lad was confined to indoors and was bored out of his mind when he wasn't being tired and cranky.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List