Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Day shall come again  by Nesta

[This chapter previously appeared as a standalone on ff.net]

4. Willing

A captain of Gondor

It was ten o’clock in the morning when we paraded in our companies. Ten o’clock on a March morning, and as dark as winter’s night, and the silver sound of the city’s bells tarnished by the darkness and the fear.

We were all there, the men of the City and of the Outlands, all save those of Dol Amroth whose turn it was to stand guard. Rank on rank of men, disciplined, motionless, with their captains at their head, and with the torchlight gleaming dully on helm and mail.

The captains snapped their men to attention as the Captain General appeared. Standing there on the dais he seemed to us taller than any mortal man could be, straight and keen as a sword, and indomitable. And lonely.

He spoke few words, and in a harsher tone than usual. He was commanded to Osgiliath, to hold the fords against the Enemy for as long as might be. It was a perilous task, so perilous that he would order no man to go with him. He asked only for volunteers.

‘And mind this, men,’ he ended. ‘To those that go, I offer no glory. I offer you neither victory nor safety, but only a chance to do your duty, if that is where you perceive your duty lies. To those that stay, there will be no shame, for when we have done what we can, the defence of this City will lie in your hands. I lay no command on any of you. I only lay before you a choice.’

A murmur ran through the ranks, and then again there was silence.

‘Third Company, stand down!’

This time the murmurs were louder. There were many in the Third Company who would have followed the Captain General to the peak of Mount Doom, if he let them. But the Third Company were told off to guard the City for the next three days, and vain as it might appear to stand guard over the inner circles, or the Great Hall, or the Hallows, when the enemy was battering at the Great Gate, each guard would stay at his post, proud, vigilant and unmoving, until the enemy cut him down, because that was the discipline of Gondor and would endure while Gondor endured.

‘Now, all who are willing to come with me, take a pace forward!’

There was a slight stirring all over the massed ranks, and then again they were still. No man had stood forth from his own rank.

The Captain General’s head went back. Standing where I was, close to him, I thought I saw despair in his face.

Then he realised that every man there had, at the same instant, taken a pace forward.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List