Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Radagast the Brown  by Kate

Radagast the Brown
Chapter 2:
Trees and Sky
 
 
 

Summery: Radagast and Gelmir head further into Mirkwood, and an evil begins to stir.
Rating: PG-13
A/N: First, thank you so much for the reviews. Second, since you so nicely requested that I space the stories differently I will. Hope it helps! Please R&R and tell me what you think of the story.
 
 
 

Nothing moved in the deep darkness. Radagast and Gelmir had now been walking for hours into the heart of Mirkwood with Ares walking with no rein behind them. Every now and again they would speak, but tried most of the journey to stay as quiet as possible so no one would be made of their whereabouts. It was around the time of midnight that they stopped underneath trees of such girth they could not even see the stars or moon overhead.

'I don't think we should be stopping, Radagast,' said Gelmir with concern. He did not want to stop for too long, knowing the many beasts in the woods could spring out at any moment. Likewise, he wanted to rest. Not really for himself, more for the old man.

'I will not be long. I just need to rest my aching back,' said Radagast. While Radagast sat with a heavy sigh on a nearby log, Gelmir took a look out position on a high tree limb. Even his keen eyes could barely see through the darkness. From what he could discern, there was nothing in the cold dark stalking them, but he could not be absolutely certain. Gelmir jumped down and landed with no noise to the ground. As he did Radagast gave a jump when the Elf landed before him. An apologetic smile spread across Gelmir's face.

'So sorry, Radagast, did not mean to startle you,' said Gelmir as he sat beside the wizard. They sat in silence for a few moments as Radagast rubbed his sore back. Gelmir sat still, watching the emptiness before him with untrusting eyes. From the corner of his eye he saw Radagast's movements halt suddenly. Looking to the wizard Gelmir saw that he had his eyes closed as though in a deep thought. This was incorrect, for Radagast was listening to the quiet surroundings of the woods.

Gelmir opened his mouth to speak, but thought it unwise and quickly shut it again. A wind came into the tops of the trees, a strong wind. It bent the tops of the trees so that for a moment rays of moonlight snuck in. When the soft moonlight hit Radagast on the cheek he opened his eyes and looked up to the sky. Once again it was covered by the trees as the wind died. Despite this, Radagast continued to gaze upward.

'What was that?' Gelmir whispered close to the ear of his companion. With no answer, Radagast stood and looked around with a grim look on his face. Radagast stood for a moment looking about, expecting another strong burst of wind, but none came.

'Gelmir?' said Radagast just above a whisper. The Elf stood and was at once standing beside Radagast. It seemed he was looking in a particular direction, towards the Lonely Mountain. Gelmir looked to it, too, yet saw nothing. He did not believe it possible that Radagast could see further than an Elf, but Gelmir trusted Radagast.

'I see nothing,' said Gelmir. Finally Radagast faced his friend, a twinkle Gelmir could barely see was in his eye.

'Precisely. There is something beyond orcs in these woods. And where are the Elves of Mirkwood? Many patrol the border against thieves and trespassers, yet none stopped me from entering,' said Radagast. He looked again to the woods, this time in a different direction.

'You are no thief, and I do not think you are trespassing. Why would they stop one who oftenly travels near and in Mirkwood?' replied Gelmir, looking at the profile of Radagast.

'No, I am no thief, nor a trespasser, for long ago was I given leave by the Elves of these lands to travel where I wish. Yet these are dangerous times, or so I perceive, and there should be guards to stop those who are not trustworthy,' answered Radagast. 'It stirs my heart to know that any could walk into Mirkwood and pillage it.'

'You speak of dangerous times, yet you still will not tell me what we are in danger of,' said Gelmir. With one swift movement Radagast began to walk again, skirting the question asked. Gelmir followed after and would not let his question go unanswered, 'Tell me, Radagast, for it may deeply concern me.'

'It does concern you. As well, it concerns all who dwell in Middle-earth. I will tell you what I have been told by Gwaihir, the Windlord. He has seen many things about these lands; wolves, orcs, and the Nine.' said Radagast. He halted for a moment at the expression upon the face of the Elf. It was of fear, something not oftenly seen with Elves. 'It is the belief that they are after the One Ring of Mordor.'

'The One? Stories I have heard said that it was lost forever to Middle-earth,' said Gelmir. The fear was gone, replaced by shock.

'Myths perpetuated to bring false security. It was indeed lost, but not forever. Through fate it appears to have been found. By who I do not no. For what purpose I can not bare to guess. Though were it found by the Dark Lord I believe that it would be evident,' said Radagast. He continued to walk toward the kingdom of Thranduil, Gelmir trailing behind him. It seemed that their pace was quickened intently. Gelmir wished now more then ever to speak to the Elves, but also to Radagast.

'Where has Gwaihir gone?' asked Gelmir. He caught up again to the wizard. There were a million burning questions in his mind, though it seemed the least important was the one he asked.

'I have sent him to Orthanc, the tower of Isengard,' said Radagast slowing his pace slightly.

'I have heard of such a place,' said Gelmir. 'It is said to be the tower of the Istari. Who could be there that could rival the power of the Ring?'

'They're is no power that can rival that of the One, save perhaps the fire in which it was made. I have sent the eagle to give word to a friend of mine, Gandalf the Grey, who begged any information be sent to him or Saruman the White at Orthanc,' said Radagast. Gelmir stopped almost at once upon hearing the name of Gandalf.

'I have heard of your friend Gandalf. There was a Ranger here not to long ago in search of him for a fellow Ranger,' said Gelmir. Radagast as well stopped and turned to face Gelmir. 'The Ranger doing the searching was named Deoradhán* and the Ranger asking for the search was Strider.'

'Aye, I have heard of the latter,' said Radagast, 'he was a friend to Gandalf. Where did you send Deoradhán? And why did Strider not search himself?'

'To Thranduil, for I myself could not answer his question. As for Strider, Doran*, as Deoradhán wished to be called, told me that he had gone West,' said Gelmir. Radagast once again began to walk, with more hurriedness than before. For a long time they traveled in silence, each incased within thought. Radagast did not elaborate on the Ring or the mysterious Strider, nor did Gelmir ask him to.

An hour or more had gone by in complete silence when there was a harsh whisper that went through the woods. It was a wind again, worst then the first, more powerful. Radagast clutched on a nearby tree to keep himself from being blown over. Ares neighed loudly and Gelmir quickly took hold of him. As soon as it had come so had it ended. Gelmir, himself rooted to the ground as not to be blown away and holding tight to Ares, looked about quickly almost expecting to catch the culprit that was sending shivers of wind through Mirkwood.

As far as his elven eyes he could see there was no one around. With much anguish Radagast still clung to the tree he had used as an anchor as though afraid the wind would once again pick up. When it did not he allowed himself to let go. He walked to where Gelmir stood still searching for anything out of the ordinary in the dark woods. There was no movement in the forest around them, not even animals scurrying about.

'There is evil at work here,' said Gelmir in a barely audible whisper. 'We must hurry to Thranduil where it is more safer. It is only another night away from here.'

'I agree, let us leave quickly,' replied Radagast picking up his staff where he had dropped it to clutch at the tree. They began to walk again, quicker than ever, Ares working to keep up.

They did not sleep that night for fear of whoever or whatever was shaking the forest with wind. Instead, they kept a steady march and did not rest. As the sun rose above the horizon they finally stopped, though only for a short time, under a canopy of trees. They began walking at a fast pace once again despite being weary.

'At this rate we may make it to the kingdom of Thranduil this night just after sunset,' said Gelmir, speaking for the first time in hours. Casting a glance to Radagast he saw with an element of surprise that the wizard was smiling.

'It will be good to make sense of this jumble,' said Radagast. 'It has bothered me since speaking with Gandalf.'

'I am warmed just to see your smile,' Gelmir replied. 'For I have not seen you truly happy since our meeting beside the water.'

Encouraged by Radagast sudden happiness, Gelmir began to speak of his home in Mirkwood. He lived in a village nearby Thranduil's kingdom. His father and mother had left for Valinor years before, expecting him to follow soon behind, but he had chosen to stay in Mirkwood for the time being. He told of how he began to wonder to the borders of the land having not been there since he had come to live there from Rivendell when he was still a baby. He revealed that he had begun to go five years before his meeting with Radagast.

'It was then that I first saw you near the forest alone,' said Gelmir to Radagast as evening waned. 'I had thought to go speak with, but you always had some creature with you and you seemed to be speaking with it. I must say that you fascinated me. Never before had I seen a mortal able to talk with creatures the way elves do.

'However, it was to be a while before I actually saw you enter these woods. It somewhat made me glad to see you so freely enter them and see you not destroy them. Your horse was with you then, the first time that I had seen him. I followed you half way through the forest until you suddenly turned and began to walk back. It confused me, for you stood there a moment, whispered to Ares, and turned round. I found it most odd. Why did you do that, Radagast?'

'I had forgotten about that day, had I known you were there I would have been more glad then I was,' said Radagast. 'I had merely resolved to go for a walk as I had done a million times. If ever I had gone into the woods, I would not enter where I had today. It was not my first time in the woods for I had gone many times even after you first saw me. I had entered that way because I had Ares with me and he led me that way. I turned back so suddenly because Ares wished to.'

As if on cue, Ares stopped suddenly in front of Gelmir and Radagast. The two would have run into the horse had Gelmir not stopped as well and flung his arm out quickly to stop Radagast as well. The wizard looked to the Elf, but Gelmir was looking right back at him, eyes wide. Radagast furrowed his brow and felt a nudge at his side. He looked to see that Ares had turned about to seek comfort in his master's presence. However, Radagast saw nothing offensive to either horse of elf.

'There's someone ahead of us, standing in the fog and shadow. He knows we are here, he stands waiting for us,' said Gelmir before Radagast could ask. Again, he peered into the darkness, but could see nothing ahead of them. 'Should we call to him, Radagast?'

'No,' answered Radagast quickly, 'let us go to him and hope that he is waiting with good intentions.' Gelmir stared at his companion for a while as he petted Ares.

'I do not think it wise,' said Gelmir before he could think better of it. Radagast looked back at the Elf with a twinkle in his dark eyes, despite there being no light to reflect in them.

'You may be surprised at who waits in the darkness. It is no orc standing patiently for us,' said Radagast with a smirk. He began to walk before Gelmir could reply to him. As they got closer they began to see clearer, for the being was standing in a beam of moonlight that smuggled through a large opening in the treetops. It appeared to be a man, for he was too broad to be an elf, but his hood was casting a shadow over his face. His figure stood patiently waiting for the small company to reach him.

Radagast reached the edge of the moonlight and went no further. Gelmir stood behind him, hand snaking on the hilt of the orc sword he had commandeered. It was Ares who made the first move. He went without hesitation to the man standing in the moonlight. Slowly, he reached out a hand and stroked the soft mane of the horse and let out a laugh. It was the sound of that laughter that sent Gelmir's memory spinning.

'Deoradhán!' shouted the Elf suddenly. Again the man laughed and threw back his hood.

'Doran, if you please,' he replied with a smile. Radagast saw in the moonlight that Doran had rugged features common with Rangers of the North. His hair went just past his ears and was a deep black, his grey eyes sparkled like diamonds in the light of the stars. His cloak, Radagast guessed it was green, but too much mud caked it to tell for sure, was tied about his neck with silver lace as were his muddy black boots. His shirt was of a rusty color and Radagast could not be certain if it was mud or not. His pants seemed to be of the same dark black as his hair.

'Well met again, Gelmir,' said Doran, bringing his hand up to shake the Elf's.

'Well met indeed,' said Gelmir with a lopsided smile. He motioned with his to Radagast with his free hand and said, 'This is Radagast the Brown and Ares, his horse.'

'Well met, Istari,' smiled Doran. 'I am guessing you seek Thranduil's kingdom?'

'How did you know?' asked Gelmir, stepping into the moonlight with Doran. The smile upon the Rangers face became larger and with more humor.

'You have reached the entrance. You are lucky that I happened to be here speaking with the guards or they would have shot you,' said Doran. Just as he did Gelmir saw several Elves emerge from within the forest beside the path leading to the gate of Thranduil's kingdom.
Each looked less then thrilled with the new arrivals, until their eyes fell upon Radagast and their demeanor seemed to change drastically.

They spoke to him in elvish, which he new little. Though, Gelmir translated that they welcomed him to their halls and homes gladly and any companion that travels with them. To Gelmir it seemed that they added the last portion only as an after thought, but he spoke nothing of the sort to Radagast. With the leave of the elves, Gelmir, Radagast and Ares, accompanied now by Doran, went to the silver gates of the kingdom. They opened slowly, but the group was more then patient. Finally, the group stepped over the dirty threshold and entered the kingdom of Thranduil.
 
 
 

To Be Continued...
 
 
 

A/N #2: Hope you liked chapter two. Please, please review and tell me if you liked it! Just a few other notes;

*The name Deoradhán means "exile" or "wanderer" in Gaelic.

*Doran is from the Irish surname Ó Deoradháin, which means "descendent of Deoradhán"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List