Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ribbons  by Lily Dragonquill

Chapter Two: Checkmark on the List


"Adamanta Goodbody," a voice called out triumphantly, "only daughter of Togo Goodbody and Maybell Grubb."

She turned around in surprise to find Merimac Brandybuck emerging from behind a huge oak. He was smiling from ear to ear, his eyes sparkling in the bright sunlight. He had obviously known that she was going to collect berries in the wood that day and, from the tousled look of him, had waited for her quite a while. She straightened, not letting him know how much he had startled her. "I'm amazed, Master Brandybuck. You're quick."

"I have many abilities," he told her dryly and produced a yellow rose from behind his back.

Adamanta took it with a word of thanks and brought it to her nose, smiling. She had first met Merimac personally only ten days before, though she had seen him from afar many times since arriving for the Lithe festivities last month. "I don't doubt that," she said looking up at him. "Yet I don't think you found out on your own."

"Why do you insult me every time we meet?" Merimac asked, offering her his arm nonetheless. She accepted it after a moment's hesitation. He had good manners and even Violet could not wholly blemish his reputation in that respect.

She shrugged, unsure herself why she did, and so said nothing. She was relieved when the smile, which never seemed to falter, returned to his face. "Never mind," he said waving the question aside. "You're actually correct. I did have some assistance, but I'm afraid my sources don't wish to be named."

"Very well. Keep your secrets."

She had some of her own, too. She had not been idle since their last meeting and had learned a lot about Merimac Brandybuck. He was regarded as a big child. He took nothing seriously; not physical danger nor affairs of the heart. Life was a game to him. She had heard talk of him and his cousins comparing girls' kisses at the inn, not caring that the topics of their conversation sat two tables down and overheard everything they said. All that mattered to him was the competition and the fun to be had. Most of the lasses knew to be wary of him, but a few were too naive and others enjoyed the thrill. Still others considered his family's money.

Adamanta twirled the rose in her fingertips, studying him. Merimac's elder brother was considered the catch in Buckland, but was rumoured to be engaged to a Took from Whitwell. She almost felt sorry for the youngest Brandybuck. As cavalier as he seemed, she somehow doubted he liked being the object of avaricious interest. In a way, she could understand why he didn't take anything seriously - especially women. Violet had made a valid point in her warning, but Adamanta wondered if she might be being unjust to him.

She found herself wondering if there had yet been a girl who had wanted him and not his heritance. And then she wondered what such a girl would need to do to gain his attention - and not just to become just another checkmark on his list. Glancing up at the sun-tanned face, she asked: "How did you know I would be coming here?"

"That's another secret," he replied with a wink.

Adamanta raised an eyebrow, checking her laughter. "You're full of them, aren't you?"

"I told you I had many abilities."

"And secretiveness is your best skill?"

Merimac chuckled. He looked entirely too pleased with himself as he led her along the narrow path between the trees. The light breeze, the swirling leaves and the dancing shadows gave him and even more rakish, and titillating, appearance. Adamanta found herself looking over at him more often than she might have wanted to. He noticed, and caught her gaze more than once, smiling winsomely whenever he did so. He knew precisely what he was doing and she had the sinking feeling she was going to be no match for this charming rogue.

"Now that I have found out your name, will you tell me more about yourself?" Merimac was still blunt, but Adamanta felt relieved. She could handle questions more easily than she could the feel of his arm linked in hers. She told him, unperturbedly, that it would depend on what he wished to know.

Merimac pondered that for a moment. "Very well. Perhaps I should let you decide what you want to tell me, Miss Goodbody."

"And if I don't want to talk?" She was rewarded with a grin.

"Then I will, though I can assure you, you will be bored beyond belief. At least that's my brother's opinion. He thinks I am the talkative one of us, but once he gets started on his…" Merimac checked himself, and blushed. He cleared his throat and continued in a much less excited tone. "I'm sorry. I fear I have just put my brother's opinion to proof, haven't I?"

Adamanta smiled in amusement. It was said that even the Master had given up on his son's ever growing up and leaving behind the irresponsibility of tweenhood. Yet, she found herself quite taken by him. She wondered how much truth there was in all the gossip she had heard about him, for, no matter what the common opinion was, she was enjoying his company very much.


~*~*~


She would never forget the night she had first seen him. The bonfire's red and golden flames had reached high into the sky, the long fiery fingers stretching out and drawing back. The wood sizzled, the air was a-glimmer, and all of it was mirrored in the Branywine's dark water. Her heart danced that night, though she was not among the couples moving sprightly to the merry tune. That was her first Lithe in Buckland and she had been enchanted by it.

She had only known him as the Master's son before that night. Saradoc and Merimac had appeared among the dancing hobbits, neither with a female partner and both deep into their mugs. They came onto the makeshift dance floor together, doing an energetic dance that no one but they understood. Yet the brothers were perfectly matched; each aware of the other's movements even when they danced back to back. She had not been able to take her eyes off Merimac. The grace of his moments, the twinkle in his eyes, the humour and joy on his face had won her heart then and there.

"You're thinking of him, aren't you?" The mattress protested as Violet plopped down beside her and roused her from her memories. "Of all good lads in the Shire, for you to fall for Merimac Brandybuck. It's a pity, really."

Adamanta crooked her head. "Pity? From what I've heard, you've succumbed to his charms as well."

Even in the dim light of the candles, Adamanta could see her cousin blush. "Well, he is handsome." Violet twisted the sheet between her fingertips. "Besides he kisses well."

"Violet Grubb!" Adamanta gasped. "I never thought you were that forward. So, is that why you dislike him? Because he turned you down?"

Violet huffed. "Nonsense. He's an oaf. I want a husband who will wait on me hand and foot. The day Merimac Brandybuck does that for a lass, I shall bathe naked in Brandy Hall's rain barrel."

Adamanta laughed out loud and threw her pillow into her cousin's face. The younger girl giggled, but did not counter. Instead, she handed her the hairbrush and Adamanta positioned herself to comb her cousin's hip length, black curls. She had beautiful hair; long, thick and silky, and Adamanta often envied her. Her own hair was auburn in colour, at least that was what her mother kept telling her. She thought it looked rather like the colour of sand and felt more like straw, full of knots and tangles that only long and patient combing could eventually tame.

"I've heard you're being talked about," Violet said after a while. Her face glowed in the candlelight. "Rumour has it you're 'witty' and 'not easy to charm'."

Adamanta chuckled. It seemed Buckland's ladies' man had found her a hard nut to crack.

"If only they could see what I do every evening," Violet went on, turning round and sighing dramatically, then rolling her eyes with exaggerated languor. Adamanta shoved her so she almost slipped from the bed. "You're pining away for a lad who's really is not good enough for you, Mantha, dear. You deserve better than Mac."

"Oh, you mean that Bolger-lad my father's so fond of, do you?" Adamanta shuddered at the thought of Olo Bolger. He was a nice enough fellow, able to answer for a family working on his father's farm as he was. But there was nothing about him that interested her in the slightest.

"Why not?" Violet inquired.

Adamanta gave her a doubtful glance. "Have you seen him? He's round and small and he stinks of goat. You have one look at him and you know him inside out. There's nothing captivating about him, nothing mysterious."

Violet raised an eyebrow. "So, Merimac is mysterious now?"

"No," Adamanta shook her head, feeling at a loss to explain herself. "Well, actually he is - in a way. He is sharp-witted, humorous, decent, and…"

"Decent?!" Violet choked. "Merimac?! You're sure we're speaking of the same hobbit?"

Adamanta smiled, knowing full well the expression Violet had mocked her for was taking possession of her face. Merimac might behave the tween with his friends, but in her company he had always shown himself a very decent fellow.

A cushion in her face brought her back to the present. Violet seemed ready to make her pay for almost knocking her over earlier. Adamanta pushed her younger cousin away and gave her a stern look which told the girl that she was not in the mood for a pillow fight. Violet shook her head. "You're hopeless, Mantha, really."

Sighing heavily, Violet lay her head on her shoulder and put an arm around her. "I don't want you to get hurt."

Adamanta leaned against her cousin. Was she putting too much trust in an incorrigible fool? She hoped not. But she needed to know if he was serious or if she was destined to end up like the other lasses - forgotten after a single kiss just so he could remain true to his doubtful reputation. She would have to find some way of testing him, of seeing how much he really thought of her. Only then would she allow herself to give in to his charms as she so wholeheartedly wished to.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List