Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Yule Pouch  by Iorhael

Yule Pouch

“You look a mite busy.  What are you doing, Frodo?”

Grinning, Frodo turned to his mother, his hands still holding something he’d been trying to stick above the hearth, almost losing his footing because he was stretching up on tiptoes.

“I want to put it here, Mother.  Olo said we should do that if we want to get gifts on Yule.”

“Gifts?  Your father and I have to put our gifts to you there?  But Frodo, they will be much bigger than the pouch.”

Despite being thrilled about the big presents he was about to get from his parents, Frodo was slightly dismayed by the unexpected interference.  Sighing, he came to his mother, showing her the small, embroidered white pouch made of suede that he held in his hand.

“This actually belonged to Olo’s sister, but he didn’t have any other pouches to give to me, so he just gave me this one.”

Primula smiled a little picturing the boys begging Celandine to give them her pouch.

“And?”

“And Olo said if we stick it above the hearth, Gandalf the Grey will come on Yule’s Eve to put presents into it.”

Primula couldn’t suppress a chuckle, and tousled Frodo’s hair.

“And do you believe that, Frodo Baggins?” she asked softly.  But Frodo was only a small lad of six summers and his mother’s doubt could not hamper his belief in Gandalf.  He rolled his eyes.

“Mama, Gandalf the Grey will not fail anyone,” Frodo spoke with all earnestness.  His face looked so serious Primula could not resist anymore.  She took her son’s face in her hands and gave a kiss on the cheek that was too enthusiastic for Frodo’s liking.

“Ugh.”  Frodo pulled back and wiped his face with the back of his hand.  It was wet.  Eww!

*

“You must put something inside it, Drogo.  I don’t want him to be disappointed,” Primula urged her husband after dinner on the night before Yule’s Eve. 

“You don’t believe that Gandalf will come tomorrow night?”

“Drogo, that is only a child’s belief.  It’s only a fairy-tale.”

“But Gandalf himself is real.”

“I know, I know, but…”

“Oh, worry not, love.  I shall do what you ask me to do, but truthfully, I’m with Frodo.  The fairy-tale you mentioned, it happened to many a hobbitling.”

*

Drogo could barely see anything in the darkness of the dining chamber in his own smial.  Almost no stars in the sky tonight, all hid behind the clouds.  Drogo turned grim as he grasped the meaning of this.  Gandalf might not be able to come tonight.  Thank Eru Primula compelled him to do this.

But what was that noise?  A wind would not be so noisy but a firework would not be that muted.  Could it be a thief?  Then there was another clamor that sounded like someone tripping over a chair.  Drogo regretted that he had no wooden bludgeon or something akin to that to use as a weapon.  He sneaked quietly in the direction of the hearth where he was certain the unsolicited company was also going.  When Drogo was convinced that he was near enough, he reached out and grabbed blindly.

“Who are you?”  Drogo shook the stranger hard – or so he tried, but truly he did not budge the person even an inch.

There was a hiss followed by a whisper coming from the stranger.

“Silence, Drogo Baggins!  Do you wish to waken Frodo?”  And then a heavy thumping on the floor, and suddenly the room was drenched in a blinding white light.

Drogo gulped hard as all he could see was a part of a very tall grey robe.  He looked up to get a better sight, and squeaked.

“Gandalf!  You came after all.”

“I certainly did,” replied Gandalf with his deep, rumbling voice.  “I can never disregard a child’s hopes.”

Trembling without realizing it, Drogo smiled nervously.

“I never thought you wouldn’t come.  I always keep my faith in you.”

*

There was nothing else in all Middle-earth that Primula had ever desired more than the sight of her only son beaming with elation like this.  It was as if the light from both the moon and the sun had brightened his face and the sparks of the stars had made Frodo’s eyes even more luminous than usual.  The boy came to her and flaunted the small carvings and sweets he’d gotten.

 “Look, Mama,” Frodo said.  “Gandalf really did come!”

What brought her close to tears was that Frodo did not care if the presents were big or fancy. 

And now Primula believed wholeheartedly that Gandalf had come.

 

fin

 

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List