Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elanor's Yule Tales  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: This is my (late) Yule gift to whoever I didn't write a story for. My muse went away, but now has apparently decided to show herself again! It's just a bit of fluff, but I hope you all enjoy it! The first is the last Yule Frodo spends with his parents, the second is after Frodo has been living in Bag End for a while, and the third is after the Quest. Merry (late) Yule!

~Three Yules~

It was nearly morning, the sun was barely peeking over the horizon, but Frodo could not stand it any longer. Throwing aside his covers, he bounded from his bed and crawled up onto his parents’ bed to lie between them.

Primula rolled over and opened her eyes to see her child’s wide excited blue eyes just inches away from her own.

“Mummy, it’s Yule! Can we wake up now?” Frodo asked.

Primula giggled and said, “If you can wake your Da, dearest, then yes.”

Frodo rolled over and squirmed up under his Da’s arm. “Da!” he said. “It’s Yule, wake up!”

His Da answered with a loud snore.

Frodo frowned, then grinned and started tickling his Da. But his plan backfired, for the moment Drogo was awake, he grabbed Frodo around the waist, and began tickling him back, until he was breathless from laughter.

“Da,” Frodo asked, when they stopped and both had managed to catch their breath. “Can we wake up? It’s Yule, and I want to get up!”

“I think we’re already awake, silly,” Drogo said with a grin. He rose and lifted his son onto his shoulders, heading out of the room. Primula followed a moment later.

“We’d best get dressed, Frodo-lad,” Drogo said. “Your Uncle Bilbo’ll be here before second breakfast!”

Frodo smiled. He thought today would be the happiest day of his life, surrounded by the three people who loved him most in the world.

* * *

Frodo woke early that morning to a small bundle of Tookish energy bouncing up and down on the foot of his bed. He chuckled and quickly pulled his feel up to avoid getting them bounced on and said, “I’m up already, Pippin! What’s all the commotion about?”

“It’s Yule Frodo! And I got you and Merry special presents this year, cause I made them myself!” Pippin exclaimed.

Suddenly Bilbo was in the doorway, Merry right behind him. “Come on, Frodo-lad, time to get up!”

“Breakfast is almost ready, Fro, and Pip’ll eat it all if you don’t get up!” Merry chimed in.

Frodo looked up at Pippin, who gave him a toothless grin. He had recently lost both of his front teeth.

Frodo laughed and gave in, following the three into the kitchen for breakfast.

* * *

It was late, but for once Frodo wasn’t tired. Ever since his last illness in October, he had tired much more easily than he had before.

He glanced around at his three closest friends, thanking Eru that they had been allowed to come home from their Quest.

Sam met his gaze and smiled gently. Frodo returned the smile, then looked to his cousins. They raised their glasses, filled for the ump-teenth time, and smiled at him as well.

Frodo thought he’d never seen the three of them looking so content and happy, Sam with his arm around his Rose, and his cousins enjoying the company of their friends and loved ones.


There had been a part of Frodo that had been wondering all day if that was going to be his last Yule in Middle Earth, but for now that voice was suppressed, and Frodo relaxed to enjoy himself for the rest of the evening.

~Finis~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List