Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Star Of Mid Winter  by Jay of Lasgalen

The First Star Of Mid Winter

It was Mid Winter’s Eve, and snow lay thickly on the ground.   The air was fragrant with spices and gingerbread and baking, and the resinous scent of the pine branches that adorned mantels and hearths.  Every room was lit by firelight and candlelight, and an atmosphere of anticipation and excitement echoed through the halls.

In the hallways of Imladris, Celebrían, Elladan and Elrohir were draping the final swags of prickly holly over doorways and windows, and twining tendrils of dark-veined ivy along stairs and banisters.   Sprigs of mistletoe hung in doorways and dark, cosy corners, the berries gleaming like pearls as the firelight caught them

“Be careful,”  Elrond cautioned, as Elladan added a last piece of holly, heavy with blood-red berries, to the window sill.

Do not eat the berries,”  Elladan finished automatically.

Elrohir looked up.  “We know the berries are poisonous, Ada.  Of course we won’t eat them.”

Celebrían smiled.  “You say the same thing every year,”  she pointed out.

“I know I do,”  Elrond admitted.  He surveyed the draped greenery and nodded.  “It looks wonderful.   Quite perfect.”  He knelt next to the twins and hugged them.  “Well done.  Now, are you ready?  Shall we go?”

Yes!”  

There was a general exodus of elves drifting outside as the afternoon darkened, gathering on the lawns and terraces surrounding Imladris.   Elrond stood with Celebrían at the top of the steps, their breath frosting on the still air, as they watched the brilliant colours of the setting sun fade into a darker blue.  Light spilled across the flagstones and shone jewelled highlights on the snow.   Behind them, every window and door glowed with warm, welcoming light. 

Children ran here and there, darting between small groups, shrieking with glee as they played and flung handfuls of snow at each other.    The bitter air rang with the sound of laughter and song, but as dusk deepened the children quietened and returned to their parents.  All grew still and silent.   Gazing upwards at the darkening skies, Elrond waited, with all the rest of his household, for the appearance of the first star of Mid Winter, which traditionally signalled the start of the festivities. 

Conditions tonight were perfect – the air was clear and cold, and there was no cloud or rain to veil the stars.   There was no moon to dim their light, and no breeze to whisper through the branches or disturb the silence.  A breathless hush of anticipation hung in the air as they waited.

Elladan and Elrohir stood at his side, silent for once, staring up intently.  They were both tense with concentration and quivering with excitement.   The first star meant the start of the holiday celebrations – the feasting, the gift-giving, the merry-making, which would last throughout the next day as well.  And it was a great honour to be the first to see the star, for which the reward was a small star-shaped brooch – a prize they were determined to win one year. 

As the first faint spark of silver blossomed against the night,  Elladan and Elrohir pointed with a cry of delight, their voices perfectly blended as they shouted in unison into the silence.  “There!  I see it!   Happy Mid Winter!”  Others took up the cry, but they were already too late.

“Happy Mid Winter!”   The time-honoured greeting was exchanged throughout the gathering with smiles and embraces.    As the good wishes and blessings spread, small cups of hot, spiced wine appeared, potent and warming; and little pastry tartlets filled with sweetly spiced fruit and nuts.

Elrond took two cups, then drew Celebrían to him with a smile.  “Happy Mid Winter,”  he murmured softly.    He gazed into her eyes, eyes as green as the emeralds that were his Mid Winter gift to her this year.   They were forced apart as the twins leapt at them, worming their way in between. 

“We won, Ada!  We saw it first!”  Elladan cried proudly. 

“Nana, we saw the star!  Happy Mid Winter!”  Elrohir added.

Celebrían hoisted Elladan on to her hip briefly, while Elrond lifted Elrohir.  “Well done!”  she exclaimed, kissing them both. 

“And as a reward, you may have some of the wine,”  Elrond added.  He gave them the tiny cups, which the twins sipped cautiously.

Glorfindel appeared, with a smile for Elrond and a kiss for Celebrían amid the ritual greetings.   He smiled at the twins and ruffled their hair.  “And a happy Mid Winter to you, as well,”  he added.  “Well done.  But you have a problem, you know.  Which of you is going to wear the star brooch?”

Elladan dismissed the question.   “Ada can ask them to make another one,”  he explained simply.

Elrond shook his head.  “No.  I am not the master of the law, and cannot set it aside,”  he said slowly.

“What does that mean?”

“I mean that there is only one brooch made each year – and I cannot ask for another to be made just because you both won.  It would not be fair.”   Their faces fell, but Elrond waited.  There was an obvious solution, but he hoped his sons would work this dilemma out for themselves. 

“Perhaps … we could cut it in half,” Glorfindel prompted heartlessly.  “So you could have half each.”

“No!”  They both exclaimed instantly and unanimously. 

“That would spoil it,”  Elladan added.

“And it wouldn’t be a star anymore.  And I don’t want …”  Elrohir hesitated, not quite magnanimous enough yet to suggest that Elladan keep the brooch for himself.

Elrond waited.  “So what do you suggest?”

The twins considered the question solemnly, and eyed each other.  “We could share it,”   Elladan suggested to Elrohir rather slowly.

Yes …”  Elrohir sounded reluctant.

Elrond stifled a sigh of relief.  “Then it is settled.  You share.  One of you wears it tonight, the other tomorrow.  And after that, you share it every other day.  Do you understand?”

They nodded.  “Yes, Ada,”  they mumbled.

“But I want to wear it first, tonight!”  Elladan added quickly.

Elrohir opened his mouth in an inevitable protest, but then looked thoughtful.  “All right,”  he agreed unexpectedly.

Elladan gaped at his twin.  From Celebrían’s sudden giggle, Elrond suspected that he must look very like their firstborn.  He shut his own mouth hurriedly.  “You agree?”  he asked Elrohir in surprise.

Elrohir nodded.   “Yes.  El gets to wear the star brooch tonight, and I get to wear it tomorrow.  All day,”  he added with heavy emphasis.

“But – but – but that’s not fair!  There’s hardly any of tonight left!”  Elladan protested.  “Ada, tell him!”

Elrond struggled to maintain a straight face.  Elrohir was proving to have a very sharp mind indeed.  “It was your idea,”  he reminded Elladan.   “You cannot go back on your agreement now.

“But …”  Elladan scowled at his brother.  “Very well,”  he agreed reluctantly.  However he could not restrain the smile of delight as Elrond pinned the star brooch to his cloak, and he peered down it at proudly.   “We’ll have to win again next year,”  he whispered to Elrohir.  “Then we can have one each!”

“I think that would be a relief for everyone,”  Glorfindel agreed.  “Now, I think Erestor still has some mulled apple juice – and some more mince pies.  Shall we find him before he eats them all?”

Yes!” 

Elrond watched them dart off in search of Erestor, with his usual mixture of pride and exhaustion.  Celebrían sighed and rested her head against his shoulder wearily.  “And they are only five.  How long is it until their majority?”

He smiled.  “Not nearly long enough.  It will come all too soon.”

 

The End

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List