Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Aftermath  by Elanor Silmariën

~12~

“Well,” Faramir says, looking bleakly at the clouds. “Looks like we’ll be stuck inside again today.”

I glance up from my stack of books. The History of Gondor volume is open in my lap with a few others I had borrowed scattered around and open to various pages for reference.

“I’m perfectly content to stay right here if we must,” I reply, grabbing up another book and looking at one of the maps of the city.

Faramir smiles at me, then comes to join me on the floor.

“Oh dear,” Pippin moans, flopping himself over the arm of the couch and looking at me upside down. “Don’t tell me you two are going to sit here studying all day long.”

Faramir chuckles at my cousin. “And is there a problem with that, Master Peregrin?” he asks, picking up a very heavy volume I had found. “Perhaps you should join us and see how fun it is.”

Pippin shook his head vigorously. “No thank you. I think I’ll stay right here bemoaning how bored I am.”

“Well, if you wished I could take you someplace else today instead of the lower circles. We could go follow Aragorn about or I could take you other places in the Citadel,” Faramir replies.

“What is Aragorn doing today anyhow?” Merry asks, sitting down next to his cousin.

Before Faramir can answer, Pippin is bouncing up and rushing to his room.

I wonder what has gotten hold of him, until I see him returning with a strange looking box.

“Teach us how to play this,” he suggests, setting the strange game down on the table.

“Did Menegon say you could bring this out of the library, Pip?” I ask, gazing at him for a moment.

“Well, not exactly, but no one was using it and there was dust all over it, and I figured we might as well use it since it was just sitting there anyways,” he replies, looking at me sheepishly.

Faramir smiles. “I haven’t played this in years!” he exclaims.

“What is it?” Merry asks.

“It’s called backgammon. To play it you place these pieces on the triangles and roll the dice to see how many spaces you can move. The goal is to get all your pieces in your slot first,” he tells us.

“That doesn’t sound too hard,” Pippin says. “Let’s play, can we?” he asks.

Faramir shows us how to set up the pieces and explains a few finer points of the game, then he and Pippin begin to play.

I watch for a moment, but my attention is soon lost, and I turn back to my books. Sam and Merry are watching the game intently.

After about half an hour of them playing this game, Pippin shouts triumphantly. “I win!”

I glance up at him, smiling as Faramir shakes his hand.

“Good game, my friend,” he says. “Does anyone else want to play now?” He glances over at me.

“I think I’ll pass. I’m trying to figure this book out,” I say as an excuse. “Let Sam play.”

Sam blushes. I knew he wouldn’t have asked on his own, but he’s always liked playing games like this.

“All right, Sam, let’s see if you can beat me at this game,” Pippin says, grinning mischievously.

“Are you sure you don’t want to play, Frodo?” Faramir asks.

I nod. “Yes, I’m sure.”

“Frodo’s never been big on board games,” Merry replies. “He isn’t all that competitive and we usually end up getting annoyed with him not caring whether he wins or loses.”

I chuckle. “It’s not like a game is a matter of life and death,” I reply. “You and Pippin are hard to play with since you act like the world will come crashing to an end if you lose.”

Faramir laughs. “I know what you mean, Frodo. It was always difficult playing games with Boromir, since he was so much more competitive than I am.”

I smile. “Seems like he would be,” I reply.

“Come on, Faramir, tell us if we’re doing this right,” Pippin says suddenly, and Faramir’s attention is taken back to the game.

I laugh to myself, then turn back to my books.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List