Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Aftermath  by Elanor Silmariën

~8~

Today we rise and dress in our finest clothes, and stand before the walls of Minas Tirith with Aragorn.

He motions for me to come stand at his side as we hobbits, Eomer, Gandalf and Prince Imrahil join him and approach the Gate.

A trumpet sounds and the Gate opens to allow Faramir and five others, four carrying a casket, to come forth and meet Aragorn.


The steward smiles at us, and I can tell he is overjoyed to see us all alive again, though he contains his joy and goes through some long ceremony so that Aragorn is confirmed as rightful king and welcomed into his city.

Faramir hands Aragorn the crown of Gondor from the casket, and Aragorn holds it up, saying the words of Elendil so long ago. “Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn’ ambar metta!”

But he doesn’t put the crown on. He hands it back to Faramir, then looks at me. I look back, curious and confused.

“By the labor and valour of many I have come into my inheritance,” he begins. “In token of this, I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me.”

I freeze. Me?

He gives me an encouraging smile, and continues. “And let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished and this has been his victory.”

Gandalf steps up and pushes me forward. I reach up and take the crown from Faramir, and bring it to Gandalf.

As I hand it to the wizard, Aragorn meets my gaze and winks at me. I smile back as the beautiful crown is placed on his head.

“Now come the days of the kind,” Gandalf says. “And may they be blessed while the thrones of the Valar endure!”


Aragorn rises from where he is kneeling and the crowd falls silent in awe.

I see, not for the first time, the light shining from my dear friend, only now it is brighter and stronger than ever.

Then Faramir stands and says, “Behold, your King!” The crowd now erupts in rejoicing as the trumpets blast and the King is lead to the Citadel, the rest of us trailing behind him.

We gather around as Aragorn climbs the stairs to take his throne. I smile as we move to the side and Aragorn begins his first order of business as King.

After a while, I notice that many of the people in the audience have come to stare at us hobbits. I glance from the audience to my three companions. We aren’t that different from Men, aside from our height and our feet. Why must they stare as though we are some sort of rare creature?

I wait for a few more minutes, until I find the thought of so many eyes watching me nearly unbearable before I turn to Gandalf, standing just behind me.

“Can we leave, please?” I ask quietly. “I don’t feel well.”

The wizard regards me for a moment, then nods. He motions for Sam and my cousins to follow us, then heads for the door.

Aragorn pauses in the middle of a sentence, and meets Gandalf’s eyes. I see a brief moment of silent communication between them, then Aragorn nods slightly and continues his sentence as though nothing had happened.

“What’s wrong?” Merry asks once we’re in the empty hallway alone.

“Did you notice everyone was staring at us?” I ask quietly.

Merry shrugs. “I s’pose I’m used to it by now,” he remarks. “Hobbits aren’t exactly common in this part of Middle Earth.”

“If it’s any consolation, I think Legolas and the other Elves get much the same treatment,” Pippin responds.

I shake my head. “I don’t know if I could get used to it.”

“Well, come lads, I will show you to your rooms,” Gandalf says, smiling down at us.

* * *

We are led to a suite close to the King’s quarters.

“There are four bed chambers,” Gandalf says. “In case you each want your own room, though I doubt that will be the case.” He smiles.

I smile back. No, it is rather lonely to sleep by oneself in a big and unfamiliar place.

“There is a small kitchen and a patio that leads out to the gardens,” Gandalf finishes before letting us lose to explore. “Your things have already been moved to one of the rooms.”

We look around for a few moments, then Gandalf says, “I must return, but I will have someone come up with lunch for you in a little while.”

“Thank you,” I say before he leaves. As the large door clicks shut, I turn and head for one of the bedrooms. “I think I’m going to take a nap,” I say. “Wake me when lunch comes?”

The three of them smile at me. “All right,” Pippin assures me.

I make my exit quickly, closing the door to the bedroom behind me. But I do not try to sleep. I lay on the bed and close my eyes, but I keep seeing all those people watching me…

I shudder, and pull the pillow under my chin. I turn my thoughts to other things, trying to block out what had made me so upset. I think of the feeling of water underneath the boats that had brought us to Osgiliath. Feeling the waves once again, as though I am there again, I find myself falling into a drowsy sleep.

* * *

When the day is more than half gone, Gandalf returns and informs us that we will be attending a banquet tonight in honor of the crowning of King Elessar.

Merry and Pippin seem thrilled, but I can’t help wishing I could stay here. I smile, and say it sounds lovely, but I don’t really mean it. Sam doesn’t look too sure either.

“Do we have to get all dressed up, Mr. Gandalf?” he asks, straightening his plan brown shirt, one Pippin has unexpectedly outgrown, and therefore given to Sam.

“Just for tonight, Sam-lad,” Gandalf replies.

Sam looks uncomfortable.

“It’ll be fine, Sam,” I assure him. “You’ll look just like the rest of us. It isn’t that bad.”

He shrugs. “I know you’re right, Frodo, but still… My Gaffer never held to folk dressin’ better than they are,” he replies.

I laugh. “Then you’ll be just fine! People will expect you to be “dressed up” as you call it. They expect to see a warrior, Sam!”

He still isn’t convinced, but I know he won’t make any more fuss about it now.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List