Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Aftermath  by Elanor Silmariën

~ 6 ~

At first I saw nothing and knew nothing, and the nothingness was a welcome relief from the constant torment of the Ring in my mind. Something deep inside me seemed to have said, “Your task is over, the Ring is gone. Go now in peace.” But as luck would have it, there were others who did not wish me gone.

The first thing I remember of consciousness was Aragorn’s voice in my mind, calling my name, calling me back. At first I was too weary to answer unable to find my voice.

And then the dreams started. They were dark and frightening. Dreams of a world shattered beyond repair; dreams of what I might have become had Gollum not taken the Ring from my hand; dreams of what Sauron would have done to me if he had taken me under his power.

I felt to weary to endure this much longer. I felt death close at hand. But Aragorn’s voice was ever more persistent.

I tried to answer, tried to come back, as he wished, but I was not strong enough, and so I looked to my ever nearing inevitable death as the only way out.

I feel Sam’s hand on my shoulder, and pull myself out of my thoughts for the moment.

“Yes, Sam?” I ask, glancing up at him from where I’m sitting on the floor in the tent.

“What’re you doin’ on the floor, Frodo?” he asks.

I shake my head to clear my mind. “I felt like sitting here,” I reply. I glance over at the Man sized bed. “I was getting tired of sitting on something nearly taller than I am,” I add, smiling.

He doesn’t appear convinced. “You all right?” he asks.

“Yes, Sam, I’m fine,” I reply, rising to my feet. “What were you coming in here for?”

“For you,” he replies. “Strider’s free for the moment, and he wanted to go on a walk with us and Merry and Pippin.”

“Oh,” I say, glancing around. “Shall we join them, then?” I smile reassuringly at him.

He smiles back, and nods, leading the way to where Aragorn and my cousins are waiting.

* * *

As we walk, Merry and Pippin take Sam and run ahead, just out of earshot, and Aragorn begins to talk to me quietly.

I know I’ve been set up, but I just frown in the general direction of my cousins and turn my attention to Aragorn, wondering what is so important that he needs to talk to me about.

“Frodo, your cousins have confided in me that they think something is going on with you,” he says, getting straight to the point. “They know you very well, and I trust their judgment. We are sailing for Minas Tirith tomorrow, and I need to know if you think you can make the journey, or if it’s something else bothering you.”

I shrug and shake my head. “I can make the journey. I’m not made of glass,” I say with a smile.

He smiles back, but his smile is partially forced. “What is the matter, little one?” he asks, his smile fading to a loving, concerned frown. I know he can also tell there’s something wrong.

I would tell him, only I am not sure even I know what the problem is.

I try to avoid the question. “I am fine,” I state. “Are we prepared for the trip?” I ask, glancing up at him.

He looks at me concerned, but he acknowledges the fact that I wish to change the subject, and says, “Yes, I believe so. We shall leave at dawn.”

“I cannot wait to see the City,” I say. “Boromir used to talk of it often.”

“Yes,” Aragorn replies with a reminiscent smile. “He did. He loved the city as much as I do. It was a marvelous place before the Dark Tower took over, and I hope to make it such again.”

“I believe you will,” I reply, meeting his eyes. “Though I am sure it will need extensive repairs after my cousins are allowed loose in it!”

We glance ahead to where Sam and Merry are trying to pull Pippin out of a berry bramble he has somehow managed to fall into, and laugh.

* * *

I am standing at the railing of the ship, looking down into the water beneath us. Sam has stayed below deck most of the journey. He says it makes him feel sick to watch the ship move.

I see a shadow behind me and look up to see Legolas standing there. He smiles down at me, and says, “What do you see when you look in the water?”

I shrug, knowing any normal hobbit would think it an odd question. “I am not sure,” I respond. “What do you see?”

He comes to stand by the railing, glancing down at the murky water churned up by the ship. “I see my future, the future of my people, swept away to the sea, the path I will one day follow,” he replies.

I nod, feeling a strange desire to follow his people away, away from everything…

I shake my head to bring my thoughts back to reality. I am a Hobbit, I remind myself. I do not belong across the sea with the Elves. I belong at home, in the Shire.

I look up to see the Elf prince studying me intently. “You feel the sea longing as well, Frodo?” he asks.

“Yes,” I reply. “A little. But I do not belong there.”

“And where do you belong, little one?” he questions, his smile no longer showing.

“I should think in the Shire, at home,” I reply, beginning to feel unsure of myself. “I am a Hobbit. And Hobbits were made to live in the Shire.”

Legolas smiles now. “Well said, Frodo! And I hope you may enjoy that for many long years, my friend. You deserve it, if anyone does.”

I feel my face flush and begin to argue that I don’t, but I am cut off by a man shouting, “The city! We’re nearing the city!”

I look up to see the city of Osgiliath opening before me. It is much damaged, but the Men are doing their best to repair it.

I glance back up at my companion. “What now, Legolas?” I ask.

“We will remain here for one day, and then head on to Minas Tirith,” Legolas replies as my cousins and Sam join us at the railing.

“That’s an awful lot of stone,” Sam observes, staring in awe.

“Wait till you see Minas Tirith, Sam!” Pippin exclaims. “It’s more than four times this big!”

I hear Aragorn’s laugh and look to see him behind us. I have a feeling my dear cousin is exaggerating a little. “Yes, it is much bigger. I can show you from a tower if you’d like. Come, it’s time to leave the ship.”

He escorts us off the ship. I hear Sam mutter, “And good riddance!” once we are on dry land again, and I laugh to myself.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List