Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Remembering Anew  by Pearl Took

A/N This has not been edited/betaed. The last few chapters haven’t needed too many changes so I’m going to be brave. If you find some rough spots, let me know. I wanted to get this posted, I’ve kept you all hanging enough as it is. :-)


A Second Chance


The accused were gathered together outside the entrance into the ballroom nearest the Master’s office. A hush spread over the crowd as nudges and shushes were passed from that doorway back until the room was virtually silent as the five traitors took their places on the dais. Elderly or infirm hobbits sat down upon the chairs along the walls. Everyone waited for the afternoon’s proceedings to begin.

Much of the crowd was expecting to be hearing the sentencing of those they had found guilty of treason that morning. The rest of the crowd was expecting a trial to begin. Neither group was expecting to wait.

But wait they all did.

Eventually the room filled with a soft buzzing as hobbits began to ask one another what was going on. The accused on the platform looked at each other and at the empty desks of the Master and Rollo Caskbury, his acting secretary. They also looked at their kin and supporters who stood at the front of the crowd.

Finally, after a delay of nearly twenty minutes, the door near the Master’s office opened to reveal Longo and Rollo Caskbury. Rollo shut the door behind them, then he and his father took their places. There was no sign of the Master.

Longo stood before the dais. “If I may have your attention, everyone!”

The crowd fell silent.

“The Master of Buckland, Macimas II, has become indisposed and has assigned me the duty of reading the sentencing of the accused.”

He raised a sheaf of papers in order to read from them, but never had the opportunity to do so.

“Begging your pardon, Mr. Caskbury,” Togo Goodbody said as he stepped forward. “There are a good many of us present here who know that what went on in this room this morning was not a proper trial.”

“How dare you, sir!” Longo interrupted.

“I dare because of that exact action on your part, Mr. Cask . . .”

“What action on my part?”

“Let him finish a thought!” came a shout from the crowd.

“Yes!” voiced several others.

Many of those who had been in the ballroom that morning looked about uncomfortably. They were realizing that theirs was no longer the only opinion represented.

With a nod to the crowd, Togo continued. “It was observed, and at times heard, this morning through the glass of the closed windows of this room, that you were not allowing the accused to say anything in their own defense. That when they did speak, you would interrupt them or simply continue to speak over them.”

Longo took in a breath to begin speaking, but Togo forestalled him with an upheld hand.

“Not only that, Mr. Caskbury, but it was also painfully obvious that they had no one else speaking on their behalf. As I’m sure you are well aware, by all the customs of Shire and Buckland law, either lack of the accused being allowed to speak for themselves and or lack of a qualified person to speak on their behalf, nullifies any supposed decision that was reached as to their guilt or innocence.”

“B-but it . . . they . . . those present voted, sir,” Longo stammered.

“Where are the notes of the meeting? I would have myself and others be able to see the record of the events leading to this vote you held.”

“The, eh. Ah the notes are . . .”

The pale and shaken secretary to Macimas II, Master of Buckland, was interrupted by a soft but most familiar voice coming from the door near the Master’s study.

“Here. The notes are here in my hand, Longo.”

Everyone turned to look at Macimas. He held the papers aloft in a hand wrapped in a handkerchief as he walked unsteadily toward his secretary and Togo Goodbody.

“I have them here. I had to ruin that drawer in my desk that you locked them into, Longo. I feel rather bad about that. That desk has been the Master’s desk since time out of mind. Hurt my hand as well while breaking it open. But here, the notes from this morning are here, Mr. Goodbody.”

“Master Macimas,” Togo said brightly. “It *is* good to see you, sir. We had been informed that you were indisposed.”

“I am. I fact, I think I need to excuse myself, though I promise you that I will be back.” with that, the Master handed the notes to Mr. Goodbody then hurried from the room through the door by which he had entered.

Longo stared wide eyed at the papers Togo held, but he quickly regained himself. “Those are not complete, sir, which is why they had been set aside. The acting secretary has not had time to go over them.” He held out his hand for the papers. “Those are the property of Brandy Hall, Mr. Goodbody.”

“Really? If these notes are incomplete, then I say they match your legal education, Mr. Caskbury. If you had been properly trained you would know that the notes of any town meeting or trial are the property of the citizens of the Shire or Buckland, to be made available to anyone wishing to examine them.” Togo paused, then said, “I for one, wish to examine them.”

“As do I!” said Holman Gardener.

“And I,” echoed Chalcedony Brandybuck

“Might I suggest that there be a recess of half an hour,” Togo said to Longo. “That will allow for you, Mr. Gardener and myself to look over the notes while, if I may suggest,” he looked at Chalcedony, “you, Mistress, tend to your husband and bring back to this gathering a report on his condition and his ability to oversee further proceedings this afternoon.”

Longo was silent for several moments. Though nothing was voiced by the hobbits gathered in the room, he could feel that it would not be advantageous to decline Mr. Goodbody’s suggestion.

“That is agreeable to me, Mr. Goodbody,” Longo said with a good deal more conviction than he felt. To the gathered hobbits he said, “We will recess for one half hour. You may leave the room if you so choose. The accused will remain where they are.”

Longo, Holman and Togo walked over to where Rollo was seated at his desk. As acting secretary, it was proper that Rollo be part of their reviewing of his notes. Chalcy, Isenbras and Clary went to see about Macimas’ condition. Marrin, Toby, and Rosemary stayed and smiled at Jebbin, Other, Athelas, Marjy and Macidoc.

When the half hour had passed, two hobbits came into the ballroom and moved the desk and chair the Master had used during the morning’s proceedings to the side of the room nearest the door. Shortly after that, Macimas, his lady and Clary entered the ballroom. Clary went to stand with Marrin while a chair was placed next to the desk for Chalcedony. Isenbras Took stood back and to one side of the Master’s desk.

Macimas remained seated as he brought the gathering to order.

“I have been informed as to the decision that was reached after I left this room. It was decided that the notes of this morning’s meeting would be reviewed. I will hear the report of those who reviewed those notes in a moment.” He paused. To those nearby it was obvious that the Master was unsure of himself. He looked to his wife and did not continue until he had received a nod from her.

“I would like to say, and I have a written statement to be added to the notes that will eventually be taken this afternoon as no one is officially taking notes at this juncture; I would like to say that I am not in the best of health at this time. I will be here for as much of the proceedings as possible, but will need to leave from time to time. At such times as I am absent from the room, I give my wife, Chalcedony Brandybuck, the Mistress of Buckland, the authority to act in my stead upon anything that arises that would, in the normal manner of trials, need action on my part. Is this understood by the concerned parties?”

Longo spoke in answer. “Whom do you mean by “the concerned parties”, Master?”

“That would be yourself, Rollo Caskbury, Mr. Togo Goodbody, as I have been informed that he would like to speak for the accused, and Mr. Holman Gardener, whom I would like to have take notes as well as Rollo Caskbury. This will be to assure that everything is completely and adequately recorded. Is this understood by those named?”

“Master Macimas, having two secretaries and having a female preside in your stead are highly unusual conditions to place before us.” Longo replied.

Macidoc recognized the smooth and subtlety authoritative tone in the secretary’s voice. He looked to see what affect Longo’s voice had upon his father. For a moment, the Master paled. He slowly blinked and made a couple of attempts to speak before he at last found his voice.

“Yes,” Macimas said, dragging the word out longer than was normal. “Unusual. But . . . that is what is needed.” He paused, breathing deeply before continuing in a stronger voice. “Unusual is what is needed as this is an altogether unusual situation, as is my having become ill so soon after eating the small luncheon I had.”

Holman noticed Longo twitched a bit at that comment . He himself had wondered at the Master’s sudden attack of ill health.

The Master repeated his question. “Are the stated conditions understood by the concerned parties?”

The four concerned hobbits answered in the affirmative.

“Then I declare the actions of this morning null and void on the grounds that they were not in accordance with the laws and customs of the Shire and Buckland. This is, therefore, the beginning of the trial to determine whether Jebbin Brandybuck, Marjoram Brandybuck, Other Brandybuck, Athelas Brandybuck and Macidoc Brandybuck are guilty or innocent of treason. Mr. Goodbody, you may proceed with the first question to the accused after a table, chair, paper, blotter and ink have been procured for Mr. Gardener.” Macimas turned to his wife. “If you will see to it that this is done and the questioning begins,” he said, then he hurried out of the room.

Chalcy nodded to Isenbras Took, who had already begun to follow the Master. This had been arranged to ensure there would be no further interference in regards to the Master’s health.

The items needed by Holman to act as a second secretary were put into place and Chalcedony Brandybuck called the trial to order. Togo Goodbody stepped toward the dais to ask his first question of the accused.

“Jebbin Brandybuck. You are accused of treason because of a book you wrote. Is that correct?”

Jebbin stood. “Yes, sir.”

“What is contained in your writings that might be construed as being treasonous?”

“All of it!” Longo interjected.

Togo gave Longo a searing look then turned back to Jebbin. “You will answer the question, Jebbin Brandybuck.”

“The book contains what myself, my brother and our spouses had come to regard as the truth about the time of the Travellers in Shire history. I became . . .”

“Not the truth but heinous lies!” Longo shouted.

The crowd of hobbits in the ballroom of Brandy Hall started shouting out their own opinions and for several moments nothing could be understood in the confusion. Chalcedony spoke in the ear of a nearby servant, who left and returned with a hand bell, which the Mistress promptly rang as hard as she could. The room went silent.

“I realize, Mr. Caskbury,” Chalcy said in a firm but soft voice, “that such a manner of making a comment is not uncommon at such meetings and trials as this. However,” she paused to look sternly at as many hobbits as she could make eye contact with. “it is the opinion of the presiding authority that this does little except cause endless delays. You will be given ample opportunity to question the accused, Mr. Caskbury. Until that time I will insist that you forgo such outbursts as we have just witnessed. If you shout out in that manner again, I will have you removed from the room and someone else will take your place as speaker for the Shire and Buckland’s concerns in this matter.”

Chalcedony then made an interesting request. “You will look me in the eye, Mr. Caskbury, as it appears quite dishonest when someone refuses to do so.”

Longo did not wish to look the Mistress in the eye. He had seen the affect it had on Macimas all the years that Macidoc was growing up. How Macimas would not want the lad sent off once more to the North Farthing to be with his wife’s kin, but how she always got her way. But Longo could feel the pressure mounting in the room; he looked into her eyes.

“Do I have your word that you will cease these outbursts, Longo Caskbury?”

Her voice seemed to echo in his head. He thought he could see the sharp lights of stars swirling in her eyes.

“Yes, Mistress Brandybuck,” he heard himself say, then the stars faded and he felt as though he had just awakened from a brief nap.

“Thank you, Mr. Caskbury. Jebbin Brandybuck, please continue with your answer to Mr. Goodbody’s question. Do you need the question repeated?”

“No, Mistress,” Jebbin began, but stopped as the Master entered the room and sat beside his wife. Rollo Caskbury read Togo’s question from his notes, Holman agreed it was correct and Jebbin continued.

“I was saying that I had become curious about the story of the Travellers as I was being taught it both by my tutor and my family. As a youngster I . . .” Jebbin paused. He was a bit hesitant to mention the mathom room, but he had to mention Jebiamac’s book as it was credited in his own book as a primary source.

“As youngsters, my brother, Other, and I were playing in a mathom room in Brandy Hall. I found a book that told a different version of the Traveller’s story. It was written by an ancestor of mine named Jebiamac Brandybuck who was the son of Master Periadoc “the Cheerful”, who was the grandson of Master Meriadoc “the Magnificent”.”

“Is that when you acquired your ancestor’s book? When you were a child?” Longo asked the question quietly and so it was allowed by the Master.

“No, sir. At that time I left the book in the mathom room. But it was that brief reading of Jebiamac’s journal that started my wondering if we were really being taught the true story.”

Jebbin continued with the story of continuing his studies of the Travellers as he grew older. Marjy had drawn in a breath to speak when Jebbin mentioned the journal, but in that instant, Athelas grabbed her wrist and squeezed it. Her sister-in-law then barely shook her head, mouthing the words, “Not yet.” Marjy held her tongue but, if not then, when should she produce the two books that were in the pouch under her skirts?

Athelas was listening for a familiar voice. Something inside her knew there would be a moment when it would be to their best advantage to produce the items she and Marjy held; Marjy having the journals of Jebiamac and Adelard, she herself having the pages that had fallen from under the cover of Jebiamac’s book. Until those moments, they would sit silently.

Jebbin continued with his accounting of his life’s search for the truth about the Travellers. Though Longo Caskbury continued to interject comments and questions, he did so with proper decorum. Though the crowd at time grew a bit loud with murmurings, there were no further times of uncontrollable chaos. The Master had needed to leave a couple of times, but he had been there more than he had been absent.

Everyone could feel the tension that was building in the ballroom of Brandy Hall.

Finally, Jebbin began to speak of when his search had become the driving passion of his life. He spoke of the two journals, and of seeking out other sources - letters, diaries, mentions made in books other historians had written about the Travellers.

“Rubbish!” Longo shouted. Now was his moment. Now was his time to strike at the heart of the whole matter. He glared at the Master and Mistress. “I know I gave my word, but this is becoming ridiculous!” He turned his blazing eyes on Jebbin. “And what are these ‘other sources’ but hearsay? Hearsay and copies of copies of a book that was supposedly written by the two Baggins and Mayor Gamgee! If you found them, why had no other historians found them? Why should you trust these ‘other sources’ when scholars had declared them untrustworthy? Produce them. Produce these ‘other sources’ and let them be examined by recognized scholars of hobbit history.”

The crowd rumbled. Hobbits on both sides of the issue at hand started calling for the materials to be produced. Macimas rang the bell. He opened his mouth to speak.

“You burned most of them.”

A voice spoke softly in that momentary gap between the ringing of the bell and the Master speaking. A soft voice that somehow seemed to fill the room. Everyone looked about to see who had spoken.

Gasps were heard coming from those hobbits at the front of the room. A couple of hobbitesses swooned.

The figure of a hobbit had slowly materialized on the dais beside Jebbin Brandybuck. There wasn’t a hobbit present who could see the dais that doubted for a moment that a ghost now stood beside the accused. Longo Caskbury stood there, gaping.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List