Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf, Interrupted: Book One: Glorfindel Redux  by Fiondil

113: iArachûd Finrod Aran

When they arrived at the pavilion it was to find that a throne had been set up before it. It was one of the dining chairs draped with a blue silk cloth. Behind it were two standards. One belonged to the House of Finwë in Aman: argent on a roundel azure a sun of eight beams extending to the field or. The second showed Finrod’s personal emblem set on a lozenge: azure, a harp argent and a torch or enflamed gules, a bordure alternating or and argent. Torches stood on either side of the throne, lending a rather barbaric air to the scene. Several warriors rushed to their own pavilions to hastily don armor to act as Finrod’s honor guard. On their return they lined up on either side of the throne, forming an avenue down which the elflings would have to pass before reaching the throne and the one who sat in it. It was obvious that Finrod meant to impress the elflings and took the coming “trial” with all seriousness. Yet, Ingwë detected a gleam of amusement in everyone’s eyes as they rushed about to ready the stage.

Ingwë laid his burden on the cot in Alassiel’s tent at his nephew’s direction. Laurendil did the same with his and Manwen indicated she would watch over the ellith. The ellyn were placed in Laurendil’s tent.

“We will wake the ellyn first,” Finrod told them as they met in front of the throne to listen to his instructions. “I have no doubt that they are behind this little escapade.”

“How do you figure that, aranya?” Manwen asked.

Finrod smiled. “Because if it had been the ellith, they would’ve been in the front.” Everyone snickered at that.

Finally, all was in readiness. Ingwë indicated that he would remain in the background and would not interfere with what Finrod planned. He and Elindis sat by the dining table where they could see and hear all that occurred without themselves being seen. Ingwion asked to stand beside Glorfindel, curious to see how his younger cousin would conduct himself and both Ingwë and Finrod gave their permission. Thus, Finrod was flanked by Glorfindel and Ingwion on his right and Sador on his left. Alassiel and Vorondil stayed with the High King and Queen, acting as their attendants on Finrod’s orders. Laurendil and Mithlas would act as bodyguards to the elflings, escorting them before the throne.

Finrod, still dressed formally in a knee-length peacock blue brocaded silk tunic in a diaper pattern of stars and diamonds with a silk shirt the color of buttercups, sat upon the throne with his sheathed sword across his knees. He wore a crown of yellow chrysanthemums on his head, indicating that this was not a court of war but of peace, though the elflings would probably not appreciate the distinction. Finrod looked around, nodding in satisfaction at the scene they presented and turned to Laurendil. “Bring the ellyn to me.”

Laurendil nodded and he and Mithlas went to where the ellyn still slept. It was a matter of minutes before they herded three half-awake and confused looking ellyn down the corridor of armed warriors, their front braids glittering in the torchlight, their armor of mithril and silver casting a white glow about them. Their expressions were solemn and all stood with swords drawn, their points to the ground. The ellyn stumbled towards the throne, their eyes glued to the august figure sitting before them. Finrod’s eyes shone with the light of the Two Trees, but there was something darker, something not of Aman in his gaze and the elflings nearly whimpered, trembling at the sight of Finrod’s majesty.

Laurendil and Mithlas brought them before the throne and made them kneel before Finrod who gazed at them in an implacable silence that lengthened to nearly an intolerable degree before he spoke.

“I thought you said these were orcs, Mithlas,” he said, casting an amused look at the Sinda standing behind the elflings. “They don’t look like any orcs I’ve ever killed.”

All three ellyn turned absolutely white at Finrod’s words. Mithlas merely shrugged, willing to play his beloved friend’s game.

“I said they moved about like orcs, aranya,” he retorted. “The Nandor in the trees heard them long before they were seen.”

“Ah, I see,” was Finrod’s only reply and then he cast his gaze upon the ellyn again and they all quailed. “Your names, elflings,” he demanded.

Two of the ellyn were too terrified to speak, merely shaking their heads mutely. The third, who looked to be slightly older than the others, gathered his courage to ask a question of his own. “Wh-who are you, lord, and wh-where is m-my si-sister and... and Eruanna?”

Finrod stared at him for a moment before answering. “I am Findaráto, King of Nargothrond that was, and Haryon to the Noldóran. As for your sister and the other maid, they are well and will join us presently. For the nonce, I would have words with you and your... otornor.”

The three ellyn straightened somewhat at Finrod’s words but they still looked suitably terrified. Finrod repeated his question. “What are your names?”

“M-my name is Sorondil and... and this is Oromendil and Veryandur,” the older ellon answered, pointing to the other two as he named them.

Veryandur looked ready to faint and Finrod gave a quiet command to Sador who quickly went to the sideboard and poured water into three cups, placing them on a tray, and at Finrod’s direction gave them to the ellyn. All three drank eagerly and it seemed to steady them, for their color returned to normal and they were not trembling as much. When they were finished drinking, Sador took the cups and placed them on the sideboard before returning to Finrod’s side. Finrod resumed his interrogation.

“Whose brilliant idea was it to attempt to infiltrate an armed encampment?” he asked sardonically.

The three ellyn exchanged glances and then Sorondil timidly raised his hand.

“I see,” Finrod said, leaning back on his throne as he contemplated the elflings before him. Then he looked up at Laurendil. “Let’s have the ellith join us, Amborondanya.”

“Of course, aranya,” Laurendil said with a bow and went to do Finrod’s bidding. While they waited, Finrod ignored the three ellyn, indicating to Glorfindel to bend down so he could whisper something. Glorfindel raised an eyebrow at whatever Finrod said to him, but nodded as he straightened up, his gaze fixed on Veryandur, much to that ellon’s horror, as the light of the Two Trees emanated from Glorfindel’s eyes. The poor child was nearly in tears now, wishing he had never agreed to join his friends in this venture. He suddenly wanted nothing more than to be safe in his emmë’s arms, even though only hours before he would have scorned such a need, considering himself too old for it. Now, he thought differently and wondered how it would all turn out.

Sorondil and Oromendil had similar thoughts, though they were making valiant attempts to appear calm and in control, attempts that both amused and impressed the warriors standing about them. Veryandur, they could see was probably much younger than his companions and they had nothing but sympathy for him, though not even Finrod would show him or the others any mercy in that regard. The elflings little realized what a dangerous game they were playing and how very close they had come to serious harm even unto death. Had this been Endórë, there would have been no doubt as to the outcome, for it would have been a situation of acting first and asking questions later.

A stir from Alassiel’s tent brought everyone’s attention to the two ellith making their frightened way towards Finrod’s throne. One of them saw Sorondil and with a cry started to run to him. Sorondil tried to stand to gather his sister in his arms, but Mithlas stayed him and Laurendil held the weeping elleth back. The other maid merely stood there rooted on the spot and with a nod from Finrod, Manwen gathered her gently into her arms and put her beside Veryandur while Laurendil brought Sorondil’s sister forward, making her kneel beside her brother.

Finrod looked at them for a moment before turning to Sorondil. “Introduce us to the ellith.”

Sorondil paled somewhat but complied. “Th-this is my sister, Lindorillë, and the other one is Eruanna. She’s... she’s Oromendil’s cousin.”

Finrod nodded to the two ellith. “Greetings, little maids. I regret we must meet under such grievous circumstances.”

Lindorillë swallowed visibly before plucking up her courage to speak. “P-please, sir, do-don’t hurt us. W-we didn’t mean to... to...”

Finrod raised a hand and his expression softened. “Be at peace, child. None here will harm you. But you must all realize the seriousness of what you have done.”

“We... we just wanted a look,” Veryandur whispered, then hid his face in his hands and started weeping, appalled by his own boldness. Eruanna put an arm around the ellon’s shoulders and started weeping as well.

Surprisingly, Oromendil turned to Sorondil with a disgusted look. “I told you we shouldn’t have brought the babies with us.”

Finrod leaned forward to gaze at the ellon intently. “Babes they may be in your eyes, child, but you are not much older. Do not disparage their tears. They are honestly come by and speak much of their innocence.”

Oromendil gulped and looked down, his expression sheepish. Sorondil took the opportunity to address Finrod. “What are you going to do to us, lord?” he whispered.

Finrod leaned back again, idly fingering the sheath of his sword in an unconscious manner. All the elflings watched him, mesmerized. None of them noticed the faint smile on Finrod’s face. He looked up at Glorfindel and nodded.

Glorfindel took a step forward and the elflings were forced to look up at him towering over them. He looked down at them dispassionately for a moment before he spoke. “Invading the king’s encampment is a serious offense, my children. In Endórë the punishment would have been death.” He paused for a moment to let his words sink in and all saw the elflings sway in terror of them. “However... this is not Endórë,” he continued. “Nevertheless, the King’s Peace has been seriously breached and punishment must be meted out.”

“Wh-what sort of punishment?” Sorondil asked.

“As you broke the King’s Peace you will each take an oath of fealty to him for a period of time and be in his service until he releases you.”

“B-but we’re just elflings,” Veryandur protested. “We’re too young...”

“Too young to take oath, but not too young to disturb the King’s Peace?” Glorfindel countered coldly. The elflings all cowered at his tone. “I think not. At any rate, the decision has been made and in this you have no choice.”

Lindorillë spoke up then. “Our parents...”

“I will apprise them of your misdeeds, and the High King will be told as well,” Finrod interjected and at the mention of Ingwë all the elflings paled even more.

“What so-sort of service, lord?” Eruanna stammered in a voice barely above a whisper and Finrod gave her a sympathetic smile which comforted her and she began to relax somewhat.

“That remains to be seen, child,” Finrod said, “but I assure you it will not be onerous or against your deepest will. You little realize how much danger you put yourselves in trying to sneak into the camp for a look. I mean to make you an example for any other elflings with the same idea.” He stood then and Glorfindel stepped back. The elflings just stared at Finrod with their mouths agape for he seemed to glow in an aura of silvery-golden light. He drew his sword out slowly from its sheath, then held it out with the hilt pointed towards them, handing the sheath to Sador as he did so.

“Now, who will take oath first?” he asked mildly.

For several tense moments no one spoke. Sorondil and Oromendil exchanged looks but otherwise made no other move. Lindorillë was looking at the ground before her, biting her lips. Veryandur and Eruanna clung to one another, then surprisingly, Eruanna straightened, her eyes wide, her face white. She made to rise and Manwen, standing behind her, aided her.

“I... I will,” she stammered faintly.

Veryandur looked up and nodded, his tears glittering in the torchlight. “M-me, too,” he whispered though he made no move to rise. Finrod suddenly smiled at them both and gestured for Veryandur to stand up. Laurendil gave him a hand and then he and Manwen led them forward to stand before Finrod.

“You may both take the oath together if you wish,” he said gently.

They nodded mutely but before anyone could do or say anything more, there was a stir of air and then Eönwë was there with the Book of Oaths in his hands, looking solemn, though there was just a hint of levity in his voice when he spoke.

“Did someone mention oaths?”

Eruanna and Veryandur shrank from the sight and nearly everyone else took a step back at the presence of the Maia. The warriors, to an ellon, gave the Herald of Manwë and Captain of the Host of Valinor a salute, their swords upraised, which Eönwë acknowledged with a bow of his head. Finrod merely gave the Maia a small smile.

“Aren’t you pushing the point a bit, my lord?” he asked with amusement. “I haven’t even invoked the Valar yet and you are already here.”

“It’s going to be a busy night,” Eönwë said pointedly, giving Glorfindel a significant look which did not go unnoticed by any of them, though the elflings all had confused looks on their faces, not understanding what was being said. “Shall we get on with it... your Majesty?” he asked as the Book of Oaths opened of its own accord.

Finrod raised an eyebrow at that but then nodded, turning his attention to Veryandur and Eruanna still standing before him. “If you will do this, then kneel.” They did so and Finrod continued speaking, looking at Eruanna with a smile. “Because you were the first to offer to take oath to me, my daughter, your servitude will be for only a short while.” Then he turned to Veryandur, smiling at him as well. “As will yours, Veryandur.”

The other three elflings glanced worriedly at one another, wondering how long their own service to this strange and terrifying Elf-lord would be and what manner of service he would require of them.

Finrod instructed the two elflings to place their hands on the hilt of his sword. “Do either of you know how to take an oath of service?” he asked them. When they both shook their heads, he nodded and gave Glorfindel a look. Glorfindel gave Finrod a short bow and then moved to kneel behind the two elflings, placing a hand on each of their shoulders to offer them some comfort.

“Just repeat after me using your own names,” he said gently and then spoke the words of the oath using simple language for their sakes.

“As the Valar are my witnesses, I promise to be obedient unto my lord Findaráto, to go when he says go and to come when he says come. In all things I will be loyal to him and do whatever service my lord requires of me from this hour henceforth until my lord releases me of my duty.”

The two of them were in tears by the time they stammered out the last part of their oaths. Finrod gave them a sympathetic smile. “And I shall not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given. Fealty with love, valor with honor, disloyalty with wrath.” He looked pointedly at Eönwë then before he continued. “Valar valuvar.”

Eönwë gave him a gracious nod as he continued to write in the Book. Then Finrod gave his sword to Sador and stooped to raise up first Eruanna and then Veryandur, giving them both a kiss on the forehead and gently wiping their tears from their cheeks before instructing them to stand beside Manwen. Glorfindel, in the meantime, stood and resumed his place beside his brother.

Finrod then turned his attention to the other three elflings. “Your servitude will be somewhat longer I think,” he told them, “as I have no doubt that you three, and in particular Sorondil, were the ringleaders. For that reason, I will require that you each take the oath separately.”

He motioned for Lindorillë to come forward, which she did with some reluctance. “Do you remember the words of the oath or do you need Lord Glorfindel to repeat them for you?” he asked her.

Lindorillë looked chagrined, admitting that she did not remember all the words, so Glorfindel repeated them, though he did not kneel behind her as he had for Eruanna and Veryandur. When Lindorillë finished, it was Oromendil’s turn and then finally Sorondil’s. When it was over, Finrod gave his sword to Sador, but he did not offer to kiss them as he had the other two elflings. Instead, he gazed upon them solemnly.

“The hour grows late and no doubt your parents are wondering where you are. I will have my people go to them and explain what has happened. You will all remain here for the night under guard.” He turned to where the High King still sat and motioned for Alassiel to come forward. “I will place these two ellith in your safekeeping, Cousin,” he said and Alassiel gave Finrod a curtsey.

“I will see that they are properly taken care of, my lord.”

Finrod nodded. “Then take them and see that they lack for nothing in the way of comfort. Your tent is somewhat small for the three of you, though, and I regret any inconvenience.”

Alassiel shook her head. “Do not fear for us, my lord. We will be fine. If you wish I shall take the opportunity to instruct them as to their duty to you.”

“That is well, Cousin,” Finrod said. “Go now and we will see each other in the morning. I fear you will miss the ceremonies at the High King’s court.”

Alassiel shrugged. “I am yours to command, lord, in all things. I’m sure Lord Glorfindel will fill me in on all the details later.” Here she cast a grin at the Noldo who nodded and gave her his own grin.

Finrod nodded and turned to Laurendil. “Sorondil and Oromendil I give into your keeping, Amborondanya. I trust you and your lady will not be too inconvenienced.”

Laurendil bowed. “You have our lives, aranya. The ellyn will be safe with us.”

Veryandur was now looking very white, unsure why he was not going to stay with his friends. He was about three years younger than the others, including Eruanna, and wondered if he was going to be punished for being such a baby. Finrod divined his thoughts and smiled, motioning for Vorondil to come forward even as he placed a comforting arm around Veryandur’s shoulders.

“This is Vorondil,” he said to Veryandur. “He’s in my service, too. Vorondil, I’m giving you Veryandur to watch over tonight. I think he would appreciate your company.”

Vorondil bowed to Finrod. “Yes, Master. I would be happy for the company as Mithlas is on duty tonight, so I’ll be all alone otherwise.”

“That is well then,” Finrod said. “Go now, and take these children to their rest,” he commanded and with bows from all, the elflings were taken away.

At that point, Ingwë came forth from the shadows, giving Eönwë a brief bow before speaking to Finrod. “Very impressive, Nephew. So what will you do with them and what should I say to their parents?”

Finrod smiled at Ingwë. “As soon as I have that figured out, Uncle, I’ll be sure to let you know.”

For a moment there was silence and then Ingwë threw back his head and laughed. All there joined him. When the laughter died down a bit Finrod gave Glorfindel an amused look. “Now, háno, it is your turn, or it will be soon.”

Ingwë nodded, clapping a hand on Glorfindel’s shoulder. “Yes, it is almost time. Let us hence to my court and get this over with.” Glorfindel nodded.

“In the meantime,” Finrod said, “I would ask that the parents of these elflings be found and brought to your court, Uncle,  that you and I may have words with them together. By now, I suspect they are in a panic over the whereabouts of their children.”

Ingwë nodded and began issuing orders. Soon the compound was empty of warriors and spectators as Finrod and Ingwë led the way to Vanyamar for the New Year’s ceremony that would take place an hour hence at midnight. Behind them were five very frightened elflings who now slept from exhaustion, their dreams troubled by images of their oathtaking and the stern king who had stood before them, accepting their oaths.

****

iArachûd Finrod Aran: (Sindarin) The Court of King Finrod. [Arachûd, literally, “royal assembly” which is the meaning of the word “court” in this context.] As Finrod spoke Sindarin at the court he held in his own right as King of Nargothrond, it seemed appropriate to use Sindarin here rather than Quenya.

A note on Finrod’s heraldic standards: I have adapted these from attested descriptions by Tolkien of the various heraldic devices used by the Eldar. Personal emblems were apparently placed on a lozenge or diamond. The House of Finwë in Aman standard is actually Arafinwë’s emblem tipped forty-five degrees to form a square.

Thus, the House standard is a white background with a blue circle in the center on which is a sun with eight straight sunbeams reaching to the edge of the square. Finrod’s personal emblem is blue with a silver harp and a gold torch with red flames. There is a border of alternating strips of white and gold. See http://www.forodrim.org/gobennas/heraldry/heraldry.htm.

A crown of golden flowers was also used by Finrod as a personal emblem. During the “trial” he wears a crown of yellow chrysanthemums (Glebionis coronaria, syn. Chrysanthemum coronaria “crown daisy” or “garland chrysanthemum”) The chrysanthemum (Greek for “golden flower”) is a symbol of nobility and in modern flower language means “friendship”.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List