Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Rough Landings  by xsilicax

Elladan awoke with a yawn, very tempted to just close his eyes and ignore the world for a few more hours, until the memory of the previous nights events hit him. With a groan he rolled over, looking longingly at his pillow, and, with an incredible effort of will, stood up and grabbed his robe. Making his bed he wandered over to the basin, and filled it from the jug nearby. He splashed his face with water, hoping the cold would wake him up. Blinking the water from his eyes, he began to feel at least semi-alive and, deciding that his twin would be in need of a wake up call, he took the jug with him and left his chambers. Entering his brother’s room without knocking, he stopped in alarm. Elrohir was not there. The bed had not even been slept in. His alarm quickly grew to amusement, as he realised exactly where Elrohir would be found and, leaving the room behind him, he entered the guestrooms Legolas used when he stayed with them.

Finding everything to be as he suspected, Elladan crept silently over towards the slumbering form of his brother, wincing inwardly at the stiffness his twin would experience from resting so awkwardly. He was almost tempted to desist from his intended plan, out of sympathy, but a quick glance at Legolas showed the elf to be awake. In order to raise Legolas’ spirits, or so he justified it to himself, Elladan upended the jug of water directly over Elrohir’s head.

For an instant nothing happened, then, hearing a roar of rage, Elladan found himself flying backwards through the air, coming to rest in the chair opposite his twin. Elrohir was standing over him, ringing out his hair and his clothes, shaking the water over his brother until he was quite damp. “What did you do that for, if you had wanted me awakened all you needed to do was whisper my name, or at most shake me! What did I do to deserve that?”

Elladan replied, unable to keep the grin off his face. “I was only thinking of Legolas, my dear brother. Had I not awakened you in such a way, you would most surely be moaning by now about how uncomfortably you slept, how stiff you are. I was sparing him from listening to your griping.”

Elrohir stood stock-still, gazing at him, unable to comprehend his brother’s peculiar sense of humour so early in the morning. “So you think he would greater appreciate my thoughts on how much I enjoy starting the day with an unexpected bath of cold water?” he finally retorted.

“Certainly little one, for it made for a wonderful sight, you shaking water off yourself like a dog.” Elladan was unable to stop from laughing out loud at the sight of his brother still dripping.

Elrohir tensed, one hand raised in a mock attack at his elder brother. “Little one! I am but minutes younger than you. You cannot get away with calling me that!”

Elladan pushed the hand away, still bent double with laughter. “Ai but you look so young there, all wet, clothes peeling to you. Truly you have my sympathy.”

“How good of you to feel sympathetic when it is because of you I am in such a position!” Elrohir answered, sarcastically. Having retrieved the jug, he was saddened to realise that it was completely empty and that he would have no revenge that way. ‘Well,’ he thought, ‘I am pretty inventive and if that fails I can certainly rely upon Estel for ingenuity.’

The two were liable to have continued on arguing all day were it not for Legolas’ interruption. “Truly it was a welcome sight this morning, however if you wouldn’t mind lowering your voices it would be greatly appreciated.”

The twins turned concerned eyes upon Legolas then, who chuckled softly at having so rapidly changed the subject. “Be not concerned I am well, it is only a lingering headache; loud noises seem to increase it.”

“Valar Legolas! I should have realised that you are in no condition for this,” Elrohir reprimanded himself.

“Forgive me Legolas, I meant no harm.” Elladan answered, eying the elf worriedly.

His twin muttered something to Legolas, which caused a small smile to flit across his face. “He meant no harm to you, anyway.” Fortunately Elladan was out of earshot.

Legolas refused to accept the apologies that streamed forth at him, knowing they had not intended any harm. Besides their antics had begun to lift the depression that had sunk upon him overnight.

“You were unaware that it would trouble me,” he said, “and in truth I enjoyed it. If you wish to help me, however, you will both sit down, as far away from each other as you can get, and tell me exactly what happened yesterday; if indeed it was yesterday.” Legolas looked confused for a moment. “I think I have lost track of time; all I can really remember is some battling with some orcs. I never did get to eat that dinner,” he mused. “By the time the battle was over its only use was as charcoal; and then for some strange reason I can remember flying. Was it some trick of Mithrandir’s that went wrong? I do not remember seeing him, but it is just the sort of illusion he would find amusing.”

The twins, seated on opposite sides of the bed exchanged glances before proceeding to tell him of yesterday’s events.

“…So it was an herb that caused such a reaction in me? What name did you call it?” Legolas questioned. “I have not heard of such a thing before. Truly, I could feel no pain at all. I do not believe I even knew what pain was!”

‘Unlike now when my whole world seems to be pain, I cannot even breathe without needing to hide a wince,’ Legolas thought to himself, careful to keep all expression from his face.

One of the twins answered him, though he was unable to distinguish which one in his fatigue. “It was Rucin Legolas, but I do not think that using it was such a good idea, at least father certainly does not think so!”

“Well I can certainly vouch for its effectiveness, although next time I think I could do without attempting to fly.” Legolas’ sentence ended upon a yawn, and the brothers rose to leave.

“I think you are in need of some more sleep. Would you like me to fetch you something for the pain, or something to eat?” Elladan was suddenly recalled to his duties as host in the absence of his father.

“No, thank you,” Legolas replied. “I do not think I could stomach food at this time, and the pain is not really troubling. Perhaps you could bring me something to read for later? I do not think I will be much in the mood for company until I can stand to hear loud voices,” he forced a smile. “I cannot see Estel keeping quiet for very long!” Closing his eyes, desperate to hide his pain from the twins, he feigned exhaustion.

“No, Legolas that we are agreed on.” Elladan wholeheartedly agreed with the blond’s opinion. “I do not think that word is in his vocabulary unless he is stalking something. We will leave you now, rest easy.”

Elrohir agreed with his brother. “Yes Legolas, sleep well, you look much in need of it.”

Nodding his goodbye, Legolas appeared to drift off as the twins left his room one silently, one ever so slightly squelching with each step.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outside the door, the two turned towards their rooms speaking quietly among themselves until they reached Elrohir’s rooms. Upon entering, Elladan threw himself down onto the bed unable to stop his laughs from bursting forth. The sight of his brother standing over him with a furious look, arms on hips and still dripping wet, started him off again until, sides aching with laughter, he had a fit so intense that he threw himself onto the floor. It was Elrohir’s turn to partake of the humour and several minutes passed until the two were seated quietly, opposite each other on the floor.

Elrohir fumed at Elladan, a wicked gleam in his eye, which boded ill for the future. “I cannot believe you did that to me!” he said, shocked. “I am certainly going to lock my doors in future. Just remember that I will have my revenge on you, so you had best be especially wary for the present.”

Elladan’s humour faded slightly as he considered to what lengths his brother might take his revenge. Mentally he shrugged. “It was worth it to see your face! Besides I think Legolas needed it this morning, he looked rather sick of your snoring by the time I entered.”

“I do not snore!” Elrohir retaliated. “I breath somewhat heavily I’ll admit, but snore? Never! Not like you.” Pausing, he sobered. “Did you notice though that Legolas did not join in the humour? He said it was funny yes, but he did not laugh, or comment, and I’m sure I looked an awful sight.”

“You still do!” his twin responded in amusement, smile fading as he considered his brother’s words. “But I take your point. He did seem in less than his normal humour. Mayhap it is his headache troubling him more than he wished to let us know.”

Elrohir flicked water at his brother in exasperation. “I am not the only one who looks somewhat the worse for wear this morning! Have you even looked in a mirror today? I would love to know just where you managed to collect that remarkable bruise covering half your face.”

Elladan raised his hand to his face, perplexed. “Bruise? I cannot feel any…OW!”

Smirking at him, Elrohir felt that Elladan deserved that after giving him an unexpected bath this morning. It wasn’t his revenge, but it certainly raised his humour. “Perhaps that will teach you to trust me better in future, brother. If you had taken my word, rather than feeling for yourself, you would not have prodded it!” He continued with a slight concern that his brother had been adventuring in his absence. “How did you receive that anyway? As far as I am aware you were all right yesterday?”

Elladan, gingerly rubbing the multicoloured mark upon his face, scowled at Elrohir. He then winced as the movement aggravated his bruise. “It was Estel, last night. He was unable to stop his pounding on the door, and inadvertently hit me.”

Elrohir burst out in laughter again at this. “You mean that you were too slow to dive out of the way! That is almost the funniest thing I have ever heard, an exhausted human is still able to almost knock out an elf. I shall have to ask Glorfindel to start training you again, I do believe you have forgotten everything you were taught.”

“If you dare I shall tell him just who it was who spilt that powder on his clothes by mistake. He itched forever ere he jumped in the Bruinen!”

Elrohir exclaimed in horror. “You wouldn’t dare!” Grinning in sudden realisation, his eyes held a hint of challenge. “If you are so inclined go ahead, but no-one would take you seriously, not looking like that!”

Elladan’s laugh was infectious, “At this precise moment I do not believe that there are many people who would take either us at our word! At least not without a good laugh first.”

Sobering up, the two returned to their discussion of Legolas’ health.

Pondering Elladan’s previous words Elrohir found himself in agreement. It was the only likely explanation for Legolas’ unusual behaviour. “I think it is most likely that his headache is problematic, perhaps if you were to leave my rooms and dress you could get father to examine him. Maybe have a few words with him, also, about his behaviour last night.”

Elladan turned to his brother in disbelief. “You would leave me to face him on this subject alone? Have you no sense of brotherhood or loyalty? I think you have an overdeveloped sense of self-preservation. What are you intending to do? Go back to bed and in a few hours wander back to Legolas with his books?”

Elrohir looked quite offended at that. “You think I would abandon you to such a task? You are welcome to switch with me if you do not feel up to yours, but be warned, I am intending to tackle Estel on the same subject. I believe getting him to relinquish all the unwarranted guilt he has no doubt brewed up overnight to be a nigh impossible mission.”

Elladan grimaced in sympathy, “I do not envy you your task, Ro, and in light of this I am more than content with my own. Yours would have been hard enough had not father cemented Estel’s beliefs last night.”

Elrohir sighed. “I do not envy myself, but I feel that it would be accepted better coming from me; especially if you forget what you are saying and come out with some of your comments from last night…Ah, do not interrupt! I am not accusing you, I am just thinking aloud.” He paused in sudden realisation, confusion flashing across his face. Turning to Elladan, he voiced his worry. “Did you notice that Legolas did not ask after Estel this morning? It must the first time that one of them has been injured without the healthy one encircling their bedside and refusing to leave, and Legolas did not even wonder at Aragorn’s absence!”

Elladan nodded gravely, “I too noticed this, and am disquieted by it. Something appears to be deeply wrong with everyone. Mayhap more happened last night than Estel was willing or able to tell us.” Standing up with resolution he pulled Elrohir to his feet. “Well, we must do our best to resolve the situation so let us away to our tasks.” When his brother made no move, and only looked at him in silence, he wondered why. “Why do you look at me so?”

Elrohir shook his head in exasperation at Elladan, scattering water by accident, “I am waiting for you to get out of my room so that I can get out of these wet clothes.”

“Oh” Elladan fled laughing at his twin. “Why did you not ask me to leave? You look most uncomfortable.”

“Do I really?” asked Elrohir, “I must thank you for your sympathy brother, and unless you want to experience my true feelings on this matter I suggest you leave now. Immediately!” His twin was faster than the words though, he had already left. Muttering angrily to himself, Elrohir could hear his brother’s amusement echoing down the hallway. As he changed he began planning his revenge…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List