Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Perfect Harmony  by Gryffinjack

IN PERFECT HARMONY

A/N - The Challenge for 33 was to write a story about a Coming-of-Age and the elements I had to include were a strange contraption, a lace-up bodice, and a pouch full of money.

Many thanks to Dreamflower for all of her ideas for this story and for her quick beta of this chapter, Marigold for her beta, and to SlightlyTookish for letting me borrow something from her AU that will appear later in the story.

CHAPTER ONE

1 Blotmath, S.R. 1426

Pippin was quite content.

Tonight had been the first time that he, Merry, and Estella had eaten dinner at Crickhollow in almost a week. Saradoc and Esmeralda had insisted that the three of them stay for dinner after helping to bring in and stack the last of the autumn harvest, something with which all able-bodied Brandybucks worked right along side the servants in order to bring in.

Of course, Esmeralda had made certain that her son, his wife, and her nephew brought back to Crickhollow a fair portion of the harvest. After all, no mother would want her son to starve.

As was their custom, Merry, Estella, and Pippin had all contributed to the evening’s meal. Estella had made Merry’s favourite succulent apple-glazed pork roast and some bubble-and-squeak. Merry had made his specialty, Buckland sage cheese and parsnips, as well as some stewed lettuce with some of the green Brandywine tomato chutney that they had brought from Brandy Hall on top. Pippin’s contributions had been mushrooms – not only fried mushrooms and onions, but also Bilbo’s stuffed mushrooms. There had been plenty of buttermilk bread left from the luncheon earlier in the day. And for pudding, a golden warden pear stewed in honey and spices for each of them and gooseberry custard.

Crickhollow was a wash of golden light from the hearth and sconces dancing around the room to the joyous music of the roar of the fire and the laughter of the hobbits as they relaxed after such a fine meal, safe and snug from the cold weather outside.

Yes, indeed, thought Pippin. Life is good.

The only thing that would have completed his happiness was if Diamond were here as well. But it would be another year and a half before Diamond would even be of age, and so Pippin would have to wait at least until then before he could bring Diamond back to Crickhollow as his wife. Then things would truly be perfect.

As Merry and Estella continued chatting, Pippin’s thoughts wandered to the Northfarthing, and to Diamond, trying to imagine what she was doing this night, wondering if she was missing him as much as he was missing her. And remembering the last time he had seen her beautifully bright, sprightly face, shining with a love for him as radiant as his own love for her. Well, whatever she is doing, Pippin thought, as he looked at the dancing lights, I hope that Diamond is as happy and content as I am at this moment.

Just then, there was a sharp knock at the door.

Merry and Pippin exchanged wondering glances. They usually did not receive visitors so late at night, now that Merry and Estella were married and Pippin was betrothed.

“You don’t suppose Sam and Rosie have arrived with the children already, do you?” asked Merry.

“I should not think so. They’re not due to arrive until luncheon tomorrow,” replied Estella.

Every year since the four Travellers had returned, Merry had dressed in his livery and blown the Horn of the Mark in Buckland at sundown on the second day of Blotmath to commemorate when he had sounded the horn to rally the Shire to fight the Ruffians in the Battle of Bywater. And every year, Sam and Pippin were right there at his side, Pippin in the livery of Gondor and Sam in the finery he had received in Minas Tirith. Afterward, there were bonfires and much feasting throughout Buckland.

It was a bittersweet moment for Sam, Merry, and Pippin. As much as they were thankful that the Ruffians had been routed and the Shire saved, they could not help but miss the fourth hobbit member of their fellowship, and wonder if he could hear Merry’s horn sound all the way across the Sea.

Sam and Rosie had always made the trip to Buckland to commemorate the occasion, and this year would be no different.

“Well, there’s only one way to find out!” said Pippin. He crossed the room in four long strides and opened the door. It was not Sam and Rosie.

“Mr Pippin! Thank the stars you are here! I was afeared you would be up at the Hall tonight. Oh, Mr Pippin, you must come quick, sir!” cried a middle-aged hobbit, tipping his cap to Pippin.

“Tarry?” Pippin asked in alarm, ushering the freezing cold hobbit inside. “What is it? Has something happened to Diamond?”

Tarry Saddler worked for Diamond’s father and was the swiftest messenger Bandigard North-Took had to send. If Diamond’s father had sent him to get Pippin this urgently, then something must be terribly wrong with Diamond.

“Aye, sir. I’m afraid it is Miss Diamond.” Tarry paused to blow on his hands to warm them up.

“I’ll go get you some tea,” Estella said, disappearing quickly into the kitchen. Merry came over and stood next to Pippin to lend support if needed, his arms crossed in front of him.

“Miss Diamond … she’s powerfully sick, Mr Pippin. She and Miss Gemma were riding their ponies across the moors and Miss Diamond’s pony stumbled over a rock and threw Miss Diamond,” Tarry began to explain.

Pippin gasped. His eyes widened and he leant an arm against Merry for support. “How bad is she? Did she break anything?” he asked urgently.

“Nay, sir. ‘Tweren’t the fall,” Tarry reassured him. “She just took a bad turn on her ankle is all, but she couldn’t get back up on the pony. And Miss Gemma, well she’s just too little to lift her older sister up. So Miss Diamond and Miss Gemma had to walk their ponies back.”

“I’m afraid I do not understand then, Tarry. Surely Mr Bandigard did not hasten you to get me for a sprained ankle, especially in this weather,” said Pippin, confused.

“I wish it were, sir. But you see, it started raining when Miss Diamond and Miss Gemma were still making their way across the moors. ’Twere a bitter rain that would drive the cold right through a body. Well, Miss Diamond, I’m afraid she caught a chill. Of course, Mistress Tulipa had Myrtle make up some willow-bark tea for her straightaway and sent me for the healer.”

“And?” Merry urged. By the tightening of Pippin’s grip on his shoulder, Merry could tell that Pippin was becoming more anxious by the moment. “What did the healer say?”

“She left some powders and instructions for Miss Diamond, but the chill set in her lungs, Mr Pippin.” Tarry paused a moment and gulped hard. “She’s done caught the Winter Sickness.”

All of the colour drained immediately from Pippin’s face as he fought to stay upright. His Diamond … his precious Diamond… He licked his lips and barely managed to whisper. “How bad is it?”

Instead of answering, Tarry looked nervously at the floor and fingered his cap nervously. “You’ll come straightaway, won’t you Mr Pippin?”

Pippin nodded numbly. “I shall leave directly.”

Estella came back in at that moment, carrying a tray with a cup of hot tea and a couple of roast pork sandwiches for Tarry.

“Much obliged, Mistress,” he said politely before gratefully grabbing the tea.

“Estella, Diamond’s caught the Winter Sickness and it’s very bad. Could you please pack some sandwiches for Pippin and me?” Merry asked.

Pippin regained himself and turned abruptly to Merry. “Oh, no, Merry! You cannot! Are you forgetting? Tomorrow is the second of Blotmath – you have to blow the Horn of the Mark!”

“And Sam is coming,” Estella reminded him.

Merry sighed. He had forgotten about that. And as much as he wanted to be there for Pippin, he had to blow his Horn of Rohan at the ceremony tomorrow at sundown. “Well, I can help you pack at least. Come on.”

Pippin nodded. “Thanks, Merry. I want to leave immediately.”

“You don’t mean to go all the way to Long Cleeve, do you, Pippin?” Estella asked, surprised. “It’s so cold out! And with your own history of getting ill …”

Merry glanced at Pippin. Estella did have a point. Pippin had been born early for a hobbit and as a result had been extremely tiny. Ever since Pippin was a mere faunt, he had had breathing troubles that would make him wheeze or give him a cough. Merry couldn’t count the number of times that he had been summoned to Whitwell or later, to the Great Smials because Pippin was fighting for his life. It seemed that every chill that Pippin had caught had gone straight to his lungs and turned into the Winter Sickness.

“I don’t care if I catch a chill or even the Winter Sickness itself, Estella! I have to be with Diamond! Besides, I’ll be fine,” Pippin reassured her with a smile. “You know I haven’t had a bout of Winter Sickness since we came back. Those Ent draughts healed my lungs. I’ll be fine.”

The very thought of Pippin catching the Winter Sickness again made Merry weak in the knees. He didn’t think he could bear sitting through that again, watching his dearest cousin fight for his life. Although Pippin was probably right about the Ent draughts, there was still a part of Merry that worried.

“Perhaps Estella’s right, Pip. Perhaps you should at least wait until morning, when you’re better rested and it’s not so cold out.”

“Merry! I’ll not rest a moment knowing that Diamond needs me!” Pippin exclaimed.

“No doubt that is true. However, I’m also sure that Tarry could use with a good night’s sleep after his long journey before going back to Long Cleeve with you,” Merry said.

Pippin looked from Merry to Tarry, who was sitting at the table draining the last of his tea from his cup and eating the last of the roast pork sandwiches. Merry did have a point.

“Besides, you will be able to make better time with Tarry’s pony well rested,” Merry added. “And this way, you won’t make Estella or me worry about you so quite so much.”

Pippin frowned. Why did it have to be so far to Long Cleeve? He wanted desperately to be by Diamond’s side. He needed to be there. But Merry did have a point. At last, Pippin sighed in defeat.

“Fine. We’ll leave at first light then,” Pippin said, turning toward his room to pack.

That night, sleep did not come to Pippin. As soon as dawn came, Merry saddled the ponies while Pippin and Tarry ate an early first breakfast.

Pippin gave Estella a hug and a kiss on the cheek goodbye and accepted the sack of provisions she had packed.

“Take care of yourself, Pip,” said Merry as he hugged his younger cousin. “And take care of that lass of yours.”

Pippin nodded and mounted his pony, Nibbles. “I’m sorry I can’t be there tonight with you, Merry, but I have to go.”

“I know you do, Pippin,” Merry said through misty grey eyes. “I’ll come as soon as I am able after the ceremony.”

“Give my apologies to Sam and Rosie.” With that, Pippin rode off to his Diamond, followed closely behind by Tarry.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List