Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Scenes from Edoras  by Elemmírë

"When the feast was over, those who were to go took leave of King Éomer. ... and the people of Lórien and of Rivendell, made ready to ride ... and Arwen Evenstar remained also, and she said farewell to her brethren. None saw her last meeting with Elrond her father, for they went up into the hills and there spoke long together, and bitter was their parting that should endure beyond the ends of the world." ~J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: 'Many Partings'

 

The Last Night in Edoras

August 13th, 3019 (1419 S.R.)

It was the last feast to be celebrated before the guests of Rohan were to leave on the morrow. Frodo felt a pang of regret and sorrow rush through him when he observed Arwen and her father, Lord Elrond, take their leave of the feasting and merriment. He watched from the terrace as they exited the Golden Hall and walked up into the hills to speak together for the very last time. For the first time since his quest to destroy the One Ring ended, the small hobbit saw that there were still those who's happiness and fulfillment must be paid with an anguish other than his own. Frodo swallowed back his sorrow and lifted a hand to clutch tightly the white gem Arwen had bestowed upon him by the fountain of the White Tree in Minas Tirith, a week before all left for Rohan.

"Do not let their parting cause your own heart to suffer further despair, Tithen min." A warm, heavy hand descended onto Frodo's narrow shoulder and the hobbit looked up into the eyes of the High King of Men. Gandalf and the Lady Galadriel were with him.

Aragorn too, had a sad look about him. "Soon after his affairs are settled, the one I knew as Father will take the last ship to leave Middle-earth, never to return. His wisdom, grace, and love will be missed dearly by many.

"Arwen and Elrond's parting is sure to be bitter--not as one would assume in the sense of resentment or hostility--but bitter rather in the sense of sorrowful mourning that will last until far after the end of days."

Galadriel sat down on the terrace bench next to Frodo, with a grace only those of the First-born possessed. She eased the white gem from the hobbit's diminutive grasp, giving it a stroke with one finger thus making it glow with a soft white light. "Be eased Frodo Baggins of the Shire. This night has been long in coming in the Ages of the world. It was many, many years ago when my granddaughter and Estel first met in the woods of Imladris. They were destined to be together. Elrond has long foreseen that it would be in Estel's hand that the future of Men lie." She smiled gently at Aragorn, her eyes sparkling with the light of the stars.

"I, too, have long foreseen this in the Mirror." She gave Frodo a knowing look and the hobbit remembered the Lady's Mirror that showed things that were, things that are and some things that have not yet come to pass.

"Elrond has long feared his daughter's choice and it has not been easy for him to endure, for he knows that by marrying a mortal Man, Arwen herself chooses that of a mortal life. It is not her lot to die until all she has now gained will be lost, but Elrond respects Undomiel's happiness and loves both her and Estel more than words can say. Thus, he gave them his blessing, but would not allow his only daughter to be bride to any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor reunited."

Frodo turned to face Aragron. "So in order for you and Arwen to marry, you had to become King first? And in order for the King to return, Sauron had to fall?" the hobbit confirmed.

"Aye," replied Aragorn. "It is through Elrond's loss and your own sacrifices that the kingship of Men is restored." The King gave a gentle, reassuring squeeze to his dear friend's hand.

"Gandalf named you well. You truly are Bronwe athan Harthad--Endurance beyond Hope, as Sam is Harthad Uluithiad--Hope Unquenchable.* Everything I am from these days forward, I owe to you and Sam. Most especially, my family's return to the throne of Gondor and my marriage to my beloved, whom I have long awaited. For that, I will forever be in your debt and gratitude, Frodo son of Drogo." Aragorn noted how Frodo shivered in the warm night and pulled his Elven cloak about him more tightly. The former Ranger of the North pulled the Ring-bearer close and held him to facilitate the warmth. Would this little one ever be free from influence of the great evil that had wounded him so?

"But Sam and I are nothing but merely two simple hobbits from the Shire," Frodo protested. "I did nothing. It was Gollum who destroyed the Ring in the end, not I."

Gandalf, who had remained silent until now, spoke. "Do you not remember Elrond's words from the Council at Rivendell, my dear boy?" the wizard asked, leaning on his white staff and peering down at the hobbit. His eyes twinkled with merriment, but there was also a sadness hidden in their depths. If it were not for him, this small being with the greatest of hearts would not be suffering so.

"It was said that this quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.** " Gandalf laid a gnarled, worn hand on the hobbit he had watched grow up from a wee lad, running about in the Shire up to no good as often as not.

"As I've said once before, Bilbo was meant to find the Ring all those years ago and therefore, you were also meant to have it. The task of carrying the One Ring to its final destiny could not have been accomplished by any other ... not even by Bilbo were he still young and hale enough. It truly was the hour of the Shire-folk to shake the towers and counsels of the Great."

At the mention of his beloved uncle's name, tears sprang to Frodo's eyes. "Dear Bilbo," he sighed heavily. "Oh, how I wish he could be here to witness all of this. I miss him so and I cannot bear to wait any longer to reach Rivendell to see how he fares."

It was then that Frodo truly realized the plight of Lord Elrond--he would have the opportunity to see Bilbo at least once more before the old hobbit undertook his final journey, but Elrond would never see his daughter again once he sailed to the Undying Lands. There the great Elven lord would live until the end of Arda, having chosen immortality ages ago.

New tears fell from the Ring-bearer's eyes, grieved for his friend he was. He found little solace that night in the comfort of Aragorn, Galadriel, and Gandalf. It was only in his dreams later that he felt peace when he again had visions of a silver curtain that rolled back to reveal white shores and a far green country. When he awoke in the morning, Frodo had no recollection of his dreams, but his heart felt more eased than it had the previous night.

~The End~

*– Bronwe athan Harthad is the name given to Frodo by Gandalf in HoME (vol. IX, Sauron Defeated: ‘Many Partings’) and means Endurance Beyond Hope. ("... I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad, Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable."

** from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, 'The Council'

As in the timeline located in the Appendices:

July 18: The funeral escort of King Théoden sets out

August 7: The escort comes to Edoras

August 10: The funeral of King Théoden

August 14: The guests take leave of King Éomer





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List