Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Scenes from Edoras  by Elemmírë

Scenes from Edoras

By: Elemmírë

Summary: Four short snippets of the hobbits' time spent in Edoras on their way home to the Shire. Book verse with a tad bit of movie intertwined.

Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings does not belong to me, nor am I making any profit off either its story or characters.

Author's Note: This was originally written for Marigold's Tale Challenge 32. The elements Marigold gave me to include were: a juggler, Rivendell, Berilac, & Éowyn. The story must also contain a mother and/or sibling.

 

 "At length after fifteen days of journey the wain of King Théoden passed through the green fields of Rohan and came to Edoras; and there they all rested. The Golden Hall was arrayed with fair hangings and it was filled with light, and there was held the highest feast that it had known since the days of its building." ~J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: 'Many Partings'

 

Edoras, Kingdom of Rohan

August 8th, 3019 (1419 S.R.)

"I wonder if I could ever learn to juggle like that?" Pippin remarked casually. His green eyes studied the intricate movements of the two jugglers walking back and forth in the small market square of Edoras, amidst the gathering crowd.

"I would imagine that takes a lot of practice, Mr. Pippin," Sam replied. He too was amazed at the talents the two seemingly adolescent boys displayed as they tossed the small spheres made of horse-hide into the air with increasing rapidity. Each lad was juggling a total of six spheres altogether, but soon they were juggling the spheres back and forth with one another combining them.

"Many of the young children have learned how to juggle throughout the ages here in the Riddermark," Lady Éowyn explained to the hobbits.

"It is useful play that helps improve their hand and eye coordination, which will be important when they grow older and must learn how to spear targets while riding," Éomer, King of Rohan, added. He and his sister were taking the four hobbits on a tour around Edoras. Of the four, Merry was the only one to have set furry foot inside the chief city of the Horsemen, but that had been for far too short a time. The hobbit had left as soon as he had arrived, offering his sword and services as esquire to King Théoden, who summoned the entire Rohirrim to gather and ride to the aid of Gondor.

Merry tore his intent gaze away from the jugglers to look up at Éowyn. "As Shieldmaiden, did you learn how to juggle too, My Lady?"

Éowyn turned her defiant grey eyes upon her only brother. They sparkled in mirth. "After our mother died, Théodred and Éomer took it upon themselves to include me in their games, but it has been a very long time since we've done so." She laughed, a warm pleasant sound once more that did not speak of the bitterness she had felt for so long in her young life.

Despite the loss of he who had been like a father to him, Éomer was overjoyed to see his sister's happiness. In two more days would be the funeral of King Théoden, followed by another huge feast that would celebrate the life of the late king.

The hobbits continued to watch the juggling display in apt fascination, but were mindful of Frodo and the growing crowd of onlookers. After a short time during their extended stay in Minas Tirith, the Ring-bearer tended to shy away from the crowds that had seemed to gather wherever he went. It had grown tiresome rather quickly to the small, quiet hobbit who had always valued his privacy. Today, however, Frodo was grateful that the attention of the people of Edoras was not upon him. Instead, the crowd was respectful of the King and Lady's honored guests, mingling with the hobbits, but also making sure to keep their distance and not obstruct the little ones' view of the impromptu presentation.

When the two boys finished their juggling, a polite applause broke out amongst those gathered. "Should you like to look around a bit, my friends?" Éomer spread his arms wide, encompassing all the market of his people had to offer.

With little encouragement needed from the royal siblings, the hobbits meandered about the little sqaure taking everything in. While Frodo and Sam were perusing the various goods being offered (and sampling the occasional tidbit given freely to them to taste), Merry was admiring the quality craftsmanship of a finely tooled set of tack. It was meant for a horse, however, and would be too big to fit Stybba, his new pony given to him by King Théoden during the War.

Pippin, meanwhile had cornered the two boys and was asking them all sorts of questions about juggling. He had been especially fascinated by the display.

"Here," the younger of the boys said. He handed Pippin three of the leather spheres and showed the hobbit how to hold them properly in his hands with one in his right and two in his left.

When his cousins and Sam came to collect him, they found Pippin throwing one ball into the air, creating a rhythm with it before trying to add a second ball. Throwing up the two spheres was relatively easy.

"What have you got up to, Pip?" Merry asked, just as the tween tried tossing up the third ball to the mix.

His concentration broken, the three small spheres went flying and scattered across the stone path. Sam just barely saved his Master from tripping over one and falling. "Pippin!" Frodo admonished.

Pippin gave them an apologetic grin before scampering about to retrieve all of the spheres, Frodo handing over the one he had nearly slipped on. "These lads were kind enough to show me the basics of how to juggle. I was trying my hand at it," Pippin explained.

He turned to the two boys and handed them back their leather spheres. "Thank you. You both make it look so easy."

The boys laughed. "It takes quite a lot of practice to get to the skill level we are at. But once you get the basic juggling of three objects down, the rest is easier."

Pippin wistfully eyed the little leather spheres, silently wishing he could be able to play with them for longer. "I guess I need much more practice."

The boy that accepted the spheres handed them back. "Keep them, Master holbytla. Continue to use them to practice with and one day, should you return to Edoras, you can show us your skill."

"Are you sure?" Pippin asked, not wanting to accept. He was merely happy for what seemed the first chance in months to be a tween again and play if only for a few moments, instead of yielding a sword.

"Yes, we have others and we can use nearly anything to be found to juggle with. Please take them to remember us by. They are but a small, paltry gift for one whose deeds are more mighty than ours will ever be." The two boys gave the four hobbits a small bow before running off to share with their friends they had met the famed hobbits.

Merry scanned the small market with his sharp eyes. "Now where have Éomer and Éowyn got off to?"

* * * * *





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List