Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Letter  by Frodo Baggins

Sam walked in to Frodo’s room. It had been two days since he had arrived at Bag End. Frodo had left him. He had found an envelope on the mantel containing Frodo’s will and a copy of all the documents Sam would ever need to be Master of Bag End. Master. The Master of the Hill. Sam couldn’t believe it. But he would trade that position for Mr. Frodo any day. Sam could still not believe that Frodo was gone. Really, truly gone. Never to come back. How was he to bear this? Middle Earth would not be the same without Frodo; nor would the Shire, or life for that matter. To Sam, life had stopped for a moment. He could not help but feel abandoned and even a little betrayed by Frodo. Why had there been no warning?

I do not know when you will find this. It could be days or even weeks after you last saw me at the Grey Havens. As you read this, I am either en route or at Tol Eressa (and whichever is correct, you can be sure I am brushing up on my Elvish).

Sam, I know that this must be especially hard for you to bear. Do not feel guilty if you find yourself feeling abandoned and betrayed. It is understandable. You were not warned. But before your memory of me is marred (and it may be too late for that), please let me offer you an explanation. You may find that after all is told you still think it was cruel of me to not tell you my intentions, that you were betrayed by me. These were my intentions.

I first heard of Queen Arwen’s gracious offer while we were in Gondor. I hoped to Iluvatar that I would not have to use it. But, alas, as time wore on, I found that the hope of healing here in Middle Earth was slipping from my tenacious grip. Yet I still clung to that hope until I boarded that ship. The reason I kept my intentions a secret was that I knew that if I had indeed told you, you would have grieved, and our last days together would have been shadowed by grief. I had had enough of grief, as I know you have as well. I could not have bourne that look in your eyes. And I know that you will say that leaving would cause you more grief, and for that I am sorry.

There was another reason for not telling you my intentions and that was hope. Hope that perhaps, I could heal after all and there would be no need to tell you anything. But that hope was false hope and fled like mist.

Leaving has been no more easy on me than it has been on you. Leaving you and Merry and Pippin , especially in such a sudden manner, has crushed the shards of my heart. You cannot know the pain and tears in which I write this. But if I had remained here, there would have been no hope at all for my healing. I sail into Hope now. My prayer is that my final and greatest sacrifice will be worth it; that Iluvatar will be able to heal my broken heart.

I hope that you have found my will and other documents on the mantle. I trust that you will fill Bag End’s halls with laughter and joy and family.

Do not despair as you read this, my brother. For you and I will meet again before we die. And after we die, we will spend forever in the Presence. Im mil le! Namarie, my brother!

Love Forever,

Your Frodo

Sam had not been able to enter Frodo’s room. Until today, that is. Sam slowly opened the door to his masters bedroom. Sam stood in the middle of the room and took in the bed, the dresser, the desk, everything was Frodo. It still smelled like Frodo. And in a way, Sam knew that Frodo was still here. For his master lived would always be in his heart. Then, Sam’s moist eyes fell on an envelope on the desk. That was odd. Mr. Frodo always left his room spotless when he left. Sam walked over to the mahogany desk that he knew so well. Written on the outside of the envelope in that familiar, graceful, flowing script was written To My Sam. Sam opened the letter and read.

My dearest, most beloved Sam,

Sam clutched the letter to his heart and lay on Frodo’s bed. He curled up in a ball around the precious letter and wept for Frodo. He fell asleep and dreamed of Frodo smiling and laughing as he had before the Ring had come. Rosie found him hours later asleep on Frodo’s bed, a slight smile gracing his lips.

The End

Copyright Frodo Baggins2006





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List