Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

More Faramir drabbles  by Nesta

The morrowgift

 

A Faramir and Éowyn drabble inspired by a note in that interesting little book Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary. Faramir (no mean artist with words himself) supplies the definition.

‘I understand,’ he said, ‘that it is the custom among your people for a husband to give his wife a gift on the morrow of their marriage.’ 

‘That is so,’ she replied, ‘but there was no need…’

‘Please take it,’ he said, and she received in her hand a fine gold chain; but it bore neither jewels nor ornaments but only a small iron key: a strange gift indeed, from one with the wealth of Gondor at his disposal. Nevertheless she looked her puzzlement, and he explained: ‘It is the key to your chamber door in the house in Emyn Arnen. Take care of it, it’s the only one.’

She answered almost indignantly: ‘You give it to me so that I can lock you out?’

He smiled ruefully. ‘If you wish. But much more, so that you have a place that is yours alone.’

She looked down at the key in her hand. ‘I cannot imagine ever wanting to use it.’

He smiled. ‘Keep it all the same. And now I must leave you for a while, and go and face the knowing looks of your brother and his followers.’

Left on her own – and immediately feeling a little bereft – she sat and contemplated her gift. So that I have a place that is mine alone, she thought. Even as I give myself to him, he gives me back myself.

 Was there ever a gift-giver more generous?





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List