Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

More Faramir drabbles  by Nesta

Peril by water

The dark water seemed very close now. Faramir could feel its icy spray on his face as the whole structure sagged and the number of defenders inexorably lessened. Boromir, beside himself with excitement, was yelling orders that became steadily more incoherent as their position grew ever more desperate.

Faramir risked a glance behind him and realised grimly that their last foothold was about to be dashed from under them. ‘It’s no good!’ he called to his brother. ‘We’ve done all we can, we’ll have to swim for it.’

Boromir laughed, cast his weapon aside with a final yell of defiance, leapt down into the swirling, foaming water. Faramir, following, felt the chill penetrate deep into his bones as he struggled vainly to find a foothold. As he struck out for the shore a strong hand grasped him by the hair and yanked him upright to fling him, gasping but safe, into the shallows.

Faramir got to his feet, rubbing his scalp resentfully, and watched the last remains of their sandcastle dissolve into the waves. The other boys whom Boromir had pressganged straggled off damply to their homes. 

‘I don’t know why you always insist on fighting the tide whenever we come to Dol Amroth,’ Faramir grumbled. ‘You always lose. And next time, I want to be the one that does the rescuing.’





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List