Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Endures  by Antane

A/N:  I am grateful to everyone who wanted to see this story continue.  I am particularly indebted to Elemmire who gave me many ideas to explore that you see below. Hannon le, Elemmire! :)

Chapter Three: Worth Fighting For 

Frodo held the Ring over the chasm. He could feel Sam’s presence near him, but more he felt great waves of darkness beating against him. He had no strength or will to fight them. He pulled the Ring close to him and put it on. He heard a scream of "No!" in the vast chamber and at first thought it was Sam, then he was attacked by Gollum and he heard the scream again.

The assault roused his failing strength more than anything else could have. He had already lost his Sam, must he also lose the one other thing he could not bear to? No, it could not be. It would not be. Faramir and his men watched as the two crazed Ring-bearers’ fought each other, one visible and mounted in mid-air, one invisible and they both seemed to be fighting also another invisible person. The captain could barely believe his eyes. He stepped forward to try to rescue Frodo, who became visible again, screaming in horrible agony and holding a heavily bleeding hand that was now missing part of a finger. Gollum dropped the finger that he had bitten off and held up the Ring. It was more than Frodo could bear. With murder in his eyes, he stalked the thief of his precious. He threw off Sam’s restraining grip and grappled with his enemy again. Faramir took a few more steps toward the struggling pair, but before he could reach either, both went over the edge.

Frodo grabbed onto a ledge. He didn’t know why he had. He felt he had been almost pushed there, as though a firm hand at his back held him there.

Let me go, he pleaded.

No. I want you to live.

Can’t I be with you?

I will always be with you, my dear, but you have more time to spend here, more things and people to live for.

For who and what? I’ve lost you and now I’ve lost the Ring. I don’t want to...I can’t....live without either.

Live for the goodness that is now safe in the world because you came here and the Ring is gone. Live for Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin and Strider who’s going to be King! They are all right because the Ring is gone, because you found them all worth fighting for and you won. And Mr. Gandalf - he’s alive! Oh, my dear, don’t die now.

Faramir came to the edge and looked straight into Frodo’s ravaged soul. He dropped to his stomach and reached down his hand.

"Reach!"

It was a command and an impassioned plea coming from both outside him and inside. Frodo obeyed both.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List