Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From Last to First  by Songbird

Chapter 7 – Horrific Revelations

 

Not one elf in the group of warriors questioned the king’s use of the word son.  Though many of them had been surprised when he had joined the search for the youngest royal, now was not the time to think of such things.  An evil was present that needed to be destroyed and Prince Legolas needed to be saved, if at all possible.

Many of the elves and men alike approached the circle of trees to search for an opening.  Every time they stepped away disappointed, each one declaring that they were sure they heard a voice calling out to them, not a voice pleading to be rescued, but a voice trying to lure them in.  So disturbing was the voice, many refused to go near the circle of trees again.

King Thranduil and Rercyn continued to discuss how they might be able to penetrate the trees when someone hollered out Owanry’s name.  The two leaders looked up to see him approaching the trees with a torch, all watching in shock as he ignited the protective ring.

Shouts were heard as several of the group rushed forward in a vain attempt to stop Owanry.  Silence soon reigned as the circle of trees was quickly engulfed in the flames.  Whatever sorcery had been protecting the spot vanished in the ash being carried away on the breeze, revealing the hideous tree now standing unprotected, many of it’s branches also ablaze.

Isál was the first to react, rushing forward, trying to see where the tracks led; vainly attempting to see if his charge was between the burning circle and the monstrosity that had been planted within.  It was to no avail as the intense heat caused him, and all others who attempted a similar venture, to retreat from the fire.  There was no other option but to let it burn, let it burn and sift through the ashes for any remains.

**********

Like a drone, Legolas followed the path downward, for the darkness, it appeared, had thoroughly consumed him.  Addramyr did not say a word as he watched his captive, making sure no harm came to him.  He needed the elf to be uninjured to get the pleasure he craved.

They soon reached what Addramyr called Teril’s cave and awareness once again flooded Legolas as he stepped into the light filled cavern, only to be jarred at the dire circumstances he now found himself in.

The cavern was crammed full of apparatus and instruments so menacing, so sinister, that Legolas did not even want to venture a guess at their use.  He visibly gulped when his mind ventured, without his permission, to show him what their possible uses could have on his body.

Legolas was led to a metal cage and was roughly shoved inside, being forced to his knees to avoid hitting his head on the rough unfinished edges.  Still bound, Legolas found himself unable to move as Addramyr closed the door and the space closed in on the elf.  Legolas visibly paled.  His captor laughed as he walked over to a crank and, as it started to turn, Legolas felt himself rise into the air.

Satisfied his prisoner was secure, Addramyr spoke once again.  “I could easily put you to death your Highness,” the words spat from the young man’s mouth.  “But that would be too easy, wouldn’t it?  I want you to know what it is like to see another suffer, just as I witnessed what your brother did to my sister.”

Legolas was pretty sure now that Addramyr had always known he was not Teril and had put on the act for the other human.  He wondered what Addramyr had meant about watching another suffer, but did not have to wait long for an answer.

Legolas watched the human’s every move as he crossed to the other side of the chamber, returning with an elf maiden.  He did not know her.  If she was from Greenwood, he had never met her, but that mattered not.  She was still innocent in all of this and she did not deserve what was about to happen, what Legolas was incapable of preventing.

It struck Legolas then that Zerraweth, Addramyr’s sister, did not deserve what Teril did to her either, but that did not make this sick display of revenge appropriate.

“Addramyr,” Legolas pleaded, “you cannot do this.  She has no connection to my family, take me and set her free.”

“She is an elf!”  The words echoed through the chamber as if this was explanation enough.

Legolas decided to not say another word, he did not wish to anger his captor further and cause the she-elf more pain then necessary, knowing that nothing he said would change the twisted mind of Addramyr.

Legolas had been forced to grow up quickly in many ways, but he had still retained some of his innocence.  There were things about the world he was clueless to the existence of, things all parents try to shield their children from.  Watching in horror, what remained of his innocence was stripped away with every article of clothing removed from the elf maiden.  The last vestige of his innocence appeared in the form of a single tear silently leaving a trail down a porcelain cheek.  The blue eyes of the elf, once full of youthful joy, were now burning orbs of fury as Addramyr forcibly took the elf maiden, only the first on his list of what he planned to do.

**********

King Thranduil’s company stood on one side of the fire, while Rercyn’s men stood on the other.  None were speaking as their eyes were glued to what remained of the ancient evil tree, its protective circle having turned to ash quite quickly.  No one had yet to spot a body and they were all at a loss as to how the two they were seeking had vanished.

Each was lost in his own thoughts while minute after minute passed by, as if the stubborn tree was giving Addramyr all the time he desired to do his worst.

Lord Isál stood alone, still the closest to the fire, willing to give up his life if the need should arise.  He blamed himself for all that had transpired, for he had not expected any ill to befall them and had let his guard down, excited in once again teaching the young.  Legolas reminded him of his only son, his only child and Isál was more then prepared to step up to the task of being the father figure, for he felt that Legolas was destined for greatness.  He loved his king dearly, but felt that Thranduil was a fool to have neglected his son for so many years.

Thranduil’s thoughts would have surprised Isál, for he was also calling himself a fool, but for different reasons.  He had blamed himself for years because the evil that was in Teril must have come from him.  He was now convinced that it was an outside evil and that Teril never would have done horrific things had this influence not been present.  Concluding that, he feared that the evil would now take his youngest from him before he had the chance to start a relationship with him.  Hopefully Legolas could forgive him, giving Thranduil the chance to make up for all they have missed.

He was only partly correct in his thinking however, for this evil, the evil that was present in the tree only allowed into its company those with the same desires, both Teril and Addramyr were kindred spirits.

Rowyn and Anaran would not be surprised at their Adar’s thoughts; they were thinking the same thing.  They vowed to each other with just a simple look that if Legolas were found alive, they would do their part to include him in the family; something they had not done for fear of their Ada’s wrath.

On the other side of the clearing, Rercyn’s thoughts turned to Addramyr’s family and how difficult it would be to tell them another of their children was dead.  Looking at his son, he vowed to spend more time with Owanry and his other children, showering them with love and more thoroughly preparing them for the evils that exist on the middle-earth.

They were all pulled from their individual thoughts as the tree exploded into flames, sending everyone back.  It was as if the tree had given up on its survival and was finally accepting the inevitable.  It quickly burned, revealing a gaping hole in the ground.

**********

As Legolas witnessed one torture method after another, thankful that the elf maiden had lost consciousness some time ago, he had to endure Addramyr giving details as to how Teril inflicted the same on his sister.

Legolas had never felt anything more then indifference towards Teril, choosing not to blame the dead brother he had never met for all the sorrow in his life.  This all changed as he was forced to witness the sins being perpetuated for the soul purpose of revenge.

Anger surged through his being like a wildfire running rampant in a forest.  The sadistic cruelty and bloodlust was beyond anything Legolas had ever imagined.  He was trying to fathom how any being could be so coldhearted when a nagging little thought finally slapped Legolas in the face.  His Adar wanted nothing to do with him because he looked like Teril.  Legolas’ brain finally took the last leap to what he had tried to avoid most of his life, if he looked like Teril, he must be like Teril.

As Legolas’ internal temperature kept rising, neither he nor Addramyr noticed the temperature rising in the cavern, until it was too late.  As the gaping hole was revealed in the ground above, the entire cavern began to collapse.

The cage Legolas was suspended in was violently dropped to the ground as the ceiling gave way, ripping the door from its hinges, giving the young elf a fleeting taste of freedom.  The last thing Legolas saw before the cave was thrown into darkness was Addramyr being impaled upon one of his own instruments.  His last thoughts were of guilt, as the maiden’s echoing screams of pain repeated over and over in his head.

Those up above had just decided who would venture into the hole when the ground gave way, collapsing into the chamber below.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List