Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From Last to First  by Songbird

Chapter 5 – Sacrifice

Randil did not even think before he threw himself at Legolas and took the arrow in his back, protecting the prince.  Isál had his own bow notched quicker then the eye could see and was searching the trees in the direction the arrow had come from.

“Put down your bow elf or we will shoot again, and this time we will not miss our target.”

Isál glanced down to Legolas who indicated that Randil’s wound did not look good.

“What do you want?”  Isál asked, not yet lowering his bow.

“We want the prince,” came the dreaded response.

Isál was about to respond when Legolas interrupted.  “Lord Isál,” he said.  “If Randil does not receive treatment soon, he will die.  I will not have his life forfeited to save my own, nor will I have his Ammë put through another loss.”

“I will not leave you at the mercy of these humans, your Highness, I know what they are capable of.”  Isál objected strongly.

“If you do not leave then we all three will most likely die,” Legolas stood his ground firmly, “and I surely hope you will not abandon me.  Get Randil back to the palace then come after me, I will stay alive by sheer will if need be.”

Isál knew that this was the only choice if Randil was to live, so he scooped the young elf into his arms, knowing that he could make it back to the palace in short time, for they had been strolling leisurely and he could run the entire way.

“I would have been honored to call you son, your Highness.”  The elf lord bowed his head in respect.

“You have treated me more as a son in one day then my Adar has my whole life,” Legolas paused with the emotions he felt.  “Please take my pack with you, for I would hate to lose that which I have just received.”

Nodding in understanding, Isál took the pack and Legolas watched his retreating form as the humans made their way out of the trees.

 ~~~~~~~~~~

It took about half an hour for the elf lord to make it back to the gate of Greenwood.  He was of course spotted and recognized, so he was able to enter the gates without breaking his stride and headed straight for the healing halls.

“Elariand,” Isál greeted the healer.  “This is Anarandil, the arrow is of human make, he took it saving the prince’s life, do not let him die.”

Elriowiel and Delérith rushed to the healing hall, for they had heard of Isál’s return carrying an injured student.  Seeing her son being treated by the healer, Delérith rushed to his side, the Queen turned to the elf lord, stopping him in his tracks.

“Where is my son?”  She questioned.

He was just about to respond when Thranduil came down the hall.

Lord Isál put up his hand to staunch the flow of questions that could almost be seen on the King’s lips.

“Anarandil took an arrow for Legolas and it is quite serious.”  The elf lord started.  “Legolas acted in the noblest of fashions and refused to let his friend die for him.  I am heading out now to track him, for I believe the humans who attacked us believe Legolas to be Teril.”

Isál knew this was distressing news and was not surprised to see the color drain from both Thranduil’s and Elriowiel’s faces.

“Do not fear my liege, I will bring him back safely, for if I cannot I will banish myself for my failure.”  He paused to let this sink in.  “Now your Majesty, if you wish to travel with me, or send some warriors with me, I will be in the stables and I will leave in fifteen minutes.”

Isál then took his leave and headed straight for the stables to prepare his horse, Sulrevia, to chase after the missing prince.  He was not surprised when Thranduil joined him, for whether or not he spoke with Legolas the young elf was still royalty and Thranduil’s son.  Isál was surprised, however, when both Rowyn and Anaran joined them in the stables.

Thranduil looked at them both.  He determined that they would probably not stay behind even if ordered, and nodded his head in approval for their company.

The four, accompanied by twenty elven warriors, headed out of the gates to rescue Legolas from the hands of his human captors.

~~~~~~~~~~

As Legolas watched the elf lord carrying his friend away, the prince could feel the humans come up behind him.

“I do not know how you survived Teril, but you will not live this time,” one of the humans threatened.

Legolas’ blood ran cold at the mention of his eldest brother, for he had also heard the rumors.

“Addramyr, this is not Teril, I assure you it is not,” the second human claimed.

“And how would you know that he is not who I claim he is Owanry?”  Addramyr turned on his friend.  “Look at him, this is the same elf that, that, that did those things to my sister.  Zerraweth did not live long after he and his friends got through with her.”

*So the rumors were true,* Legolas thought to himself.  *Teril was different and cruel just like I had heard he was.*  With this knowledge came the realization that he might be in serious danger.

“I saw the bodies Addramyr,” Owanry actually looked like he might be sick.  “Do you know what they did to Teril and his friends?  The note they sent back with the bodies?”  At the mention of this, Owanry did get sick, he turned and heaved his last meal into the bushes.

Addramyr pretended to be helping his friend as he pulled some rope from his pack, which he used to tie up Owanry as soon as he finished.

“I don’t care what you think Owanry,” Addramyr said with madness glinting in his eyes.  “Teril or not, this elf will pay for what was done to my sister for I found where it all happened.  The cave they tortured Zerraweth in still has everything there, every item that was used to leave a mark on her body.”  Anger flared in Addramyr’s eyes at the memory.  “And I vividly remember each mark for it will be imprinted on my mind forever.”

“You can’t just leave me here Addramyr!  There are predators in the woods!”  Owanry was starting to panic!

But Addramyr did not answer as he bound Legolas and led the elf towards Teril’s cave, finally getting the chance to exact revenge upon the race that caused his sister’s death.

“Addramyr!  Addramyr, come back here!”  Owanry cried out.

But Addramyr had already put Owanry out of his mind.  Legolas had not, he could still hear the other human screaming as he was dragged towards the cave.

“ADDRAMYR!!!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List