Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From Last to First  by Songbird

Cathy – Yay for being the first reviewer.  I’m still quite confused why you all like it, but I’m glad you do.  Thank you Cathy for all your help in making this story better, you are the best beta.

Cathy – Yep, she knows her husband has taken this a bit far.  Husband’s can be dense, trust me, I know.

Lorwen – Thank you Lorwen.  I really liked the start.  Hope you like the next chapter also.  *wink*

Lorwen – Guess you did.  Me too, I would love to huggle him.  And I know I’ve given him a very sad early life, but the question is, can her rise above it?  I also liked the cataclysmic line I liked the visual it gave.  As for what Elriowiel’s name means, I have no idea.

Wanda – The next chapters are right here.  I’ll try to be quicker next time.

 

On to the next chapter:

Chapter 2 – Decisions

Words that Elriowiel had been holding in for many years started to tumble forth before the last door had even closed.

“Thranduil how can you continue this?” she said.  “Legolas is your son and is entitled to the same love and attention you show both Rowyn and Anaran; the same that you always showered upon Teril.”

Thranduil’s head snapped up at the mention of the dead prince.  “Don’t you …

“Don’t I dare mention his name?  Why not Thranduil?”  She retorted, eyes flashing with years of pent up anger and rage.  “Teril was my son also and just like you, a part of me died the day his body was discovered.”  She paused for just an instant before starting again, abandoning the topic of her youngest, for that of her eldest.  “I’ve heard the rumors Thranduil,” a weary sadness lit upon the queen’s features as she continued.  “I know what it is that Teril and his friends were accused of doing.”

An impenetrable silence filled the throne room as the pair battled within themselves over the truthfulness of the accusations against their son.  Bearing the weight of their child’s choices rested heavily upon both of their shoulders.

“I never wanted you to know,” Thranduil whispered as he embraced his wife, her anger abating for the moment.  “It took me many years to admit to myself that he was most likely capable of what they said.  I could not bear to have another child become like Teril was.”

Elriowiel bristled at the accusations and pushed herself away from her husband.  “Just because Legolas looks like Teril, it does not make him Teril.”  She turned and faced Thranduil again.  “You have never given him the chance to prove himself, you just assume that they are the same person.  I once found Teril and his friends in a secluded area of the gardens; they had captured a field mouse and were systematically plucking the limbs from its body.  I have never seen Legolas behave like that.”

Thranduil was sickened by what she told him.  “Why did you not tell me?” he questioned.

“I thought they were just being children,” Elriowiel said.  “It wasn’t until Rowyn and Anaran were born that I realized how different Teril really was.”  She sighed deeply and continued.  “The fact that Legolas resembles Teril in appearance is a moot point Thranduil, he needs to know the love of his father.  You have said less then twenty words to him in his entire life.  I demand that you assign him, as you did our other boys, to a training squad.  You will put him into a group with those who are his age and you will do whatever is in your power to help him catch up to where his peers are.  Do you understand me Thranduil?”

“Do not make demands of me that I cannot bestow,” Thranduil pleaded with his wife.

“I am giving you no choice,” she answered, eyes flaring with all the pain and disappointment she felt.  “Legolas will be moved out of the nursery within the hour.  If you do not wish to be humiliated by a royal Prince of Mirkwood sleeping out under the trees because he does not have a bed, then I suggest you get past your prejudice.”

Elriowiel did not wait for an answer as she left the throne room in search of her youngest son.  This was not going to be easy for any of them.

It was not five minutes later that Isál entered the chamber to speak with the king.  He had informed the rest of the king’s ministers that they were to not return without express permission from him first.

“My Lord?” he inquired.

Thranduil looked up to see Isál standing before him.  “You heard?”

Isál tried to keep the wry grin from creeping onto his lips but the king knew him too well not to see it.  “My Lord, when your wife is unhappy everyone within a quarter of a mile can hear what is said.”

Thranduil smiled at the truth in his friend’s words, but could not pull himself from thoughts of his dilemma.

“With your permission My Lord, I may have the answer you are seeking,” Isál suggested.

“Isál, if you have a solution, please enlighten me,” Thranduil replied.

“I know your feelings about Legolas, Thranduil, for you have entrusted me to be your chief advisor.  Elriowiel is correct in the fact that your son needs to leave the nursery and start his training.”  Isál paused, “I propose to you my Lord that you entrust his training to me.”

“Why would you do this?” asked Thranduil.

Isál continued on, “I may be your chief advisor and best friend Thranduil, but I also see in Legolas what your wife sees.  He has potential beyond the chances that have been given him.  It will not be easy for him, for he will join his peers, some who have been training now for two years.”

As he paused, Thranduil was surprised to see anger rise into his friend’s features.  “I would also see some of those little elflings who have nothing better to do then put down a member of the royal family be bested by the one they taunt.”

Thranduil knew that this was a task he himself should be doing, but could not bring himself to deny the fact that this solved a lot of his problems.  “So be it Isál,” he declared, “the training of Legolas will be your duty, see to it that he does not shame us.”

~~~~~~~~~~

Elriowiel entered the gardens and made her way to the wall where she knew she would find her son perched upon.  “Come with me Legolas,” she said.  Legolas was curious about what was happening but did not question his Ammë as he followed her into the palace.

“Legolas,” she said, “I have spoken to your father about your training.  I need you to pack up the things you will need to take with you to the training barracks.  Can you do that for me?”

“Yes Ammë,” Legolas said as he rushed off to pack with thoughts of his Adar finally loving him enough to train him running through his head.  It did not take him that long to be ready, and as he approached his Ammë, he got the feeling this was not as good as he thought it should be.

She eyed him solemnly before finally speaking.  “What I’m going to ask you to do Legolas will not be easy for you must do it alone.”

Legolas nodded to let her know he understood.

“You must take your things and go wait by the gates until, well until someone comes to get you.  Can you do this?” she continued.

Elriowiel’s heart broke at the instant Legolas realized exactly what she was asking of him.  He did not trust his voice to speak, but nodded instead to his Ammë, knowing that his father would probably not be there to meet him; that he may stand at the gates and have no one claim him.

These were the thoughts that repeated through his mind as he made his way, all alone, to the gates of Greenwood.  Word had spread through the realm of the Queen’s demands on her husband and many found reason to be near the gates.  Some tried to pretend they were not there for the spectacle, while others stared in unabashed joy at getting an inside look at the royal family.

Legolas stood there through it all praying to the Valar that he would not have to wait too long.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List