Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

From Last to First  by Songbird

Title: From Last to First

Author: Songbird

Rating: This chapter is pretty much G, but the story is pg-13.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of it except that which came from my brain.  Just borrowing the characters.

Summary: This is my take on Legolas' life.

Acknowledgments: First to Cathy for being my beta, thank you for being picky.  Second, to the "chat" girls, thanks for the encouragement.  Mostly, thank you to Cube for being my best friend.

 

 

From Last to First

 

By Songbird

 

Prologue

 

As she held her newborn son in her arms, Elriowiel, wife of King Thranduil, softly wept.

*He is perfect,* she thought, counting his fingers and toes.  She brought him close to her face and inhaled the fresh scent of him.  She watched in joy and rapture as his eyes opened and seemed to focus on her face; his tiny little fingers wrapped around hers.

“I will call you Legolas,” she said to the peaceful little bundle.  “My little Greenleaf to remind me of this beautiful spring day.  The day you brought joy back into my heart.”

The healer’s stood near, ready to respond should the Queen or the infant have need of them.  Two servants hovered near the shadows, trying to anticipate what the Queen might desire, before she even knew she desired it.  No matter their position in the household, they were all uncomfortably aware of the King’s absence.

None of them could forget the fights from just a little over a year and a half ago, the Queen’s wish for another child, and the King’s refusal. 

Everything changed when Teril, the eldest of the four royal elflings, participated in a dare that would cause many a night of grief in the realm of Thranduil.  No one knew exactly what happened, but Teril and three of his friends disappeared.  Three months later, the bodies were found abandoned where the elves of Greenwood the Great would find them.  What had been done to them was unspeakable, and if Thranduil ever caught anyone speaking of it, they would find themselves spending time in the dungeon.

When they could not relieve the Queen of her depression, Thranduil decided to grant her wish of another child.  It was either that or have her sail to Valinor.  He did not wish to see her leave Middle Earth, so the child was conceived.

As he watched her from the doorway he knew that she would now be fine, but he could not bring himself to see his new son.  Legolas she called him; that was a fine name, but Thranduil knew that Legolas could never replace Teril.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List