Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Babe in the Woods  by sheraiah

Title: Babe in the Woods pt 2

Author: sheraiah

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: All recognizable characters belong to the Tolkien Estate. The plot and original characters are the property of the author.

Warnings: Gen, some disturbing themes

Summary: Legolas and Gimli make a surprising discovery in the woods during their travels.

 

                                                  ~

 

 

“Urp.”

 

Legolas snickered, “Are you certain she is not a dwarf child?”

 

“Just for that, elf, I’m going to let you take care of her next changing,” the dwarf stated, noting with a great deal of satisfaction the look of dismay on his friend’s face as he shifted the child back into the crook of his arm from her upright position on his shoulder.

 

“You are evil to subject the poor child to that,” the elf said.

 

“We aren’t going to make it to the village before dark,” Gimli said, glancing up at the position of the sun on the horizon.

 

“No, it will be an hour or two past nightfall, if she does not need to feed again before then,” the elf agreed, alternating soaking a new cloth with freshly obtained milk with nibbling on a piece of hardtack.

 

“She shouldn’t, at least until we make it into the town.” Gimli frowned. “Legolas, I’ve been thinking…”

 

“Do not strain yourself, elvellon,” his friend quipped.

 

“Be serious for a moment, you addlepated tree hugger,” the dwarf retorted without heat. “I’m thinking we should head straight for the midwife and have her take a look at Little Bit, just to be certain she’s doing well.”

 

“I admit, it would ease my mind as well. The does’ gifts have been satisfying her hunger, but I cannot help but think that human milk would suit her much better.” He soaked the cloth again. “Here you are, sweetling,” he said to the baby, who ignored him in favor of the milk.

 

“’Sweetling’?”

 

“Quiet, dwarf.”

 

 

                                                  ~

 

 

Gimli’s assumption proved wrong, and the baby had indeed had to be fed again before they reached the town.

 

“Just as well,” Gimli said with a shrug as he soaked the cloth and offered it to the child while Legolas cradled her. He also taught the elf to burp the baby, howling with laughter when she spit up down his back. The elf took it remarkably in stride, removing his jerkin and cleaning it as best he could before they resumed their journey.

 

By mutual agreement, Legolas carried the baby due to the fact that he could be up a tree and out of harm’s way before any foe could attack. Gimli rigged a sling out of Legolas’ cloak for her to rest in and she slumbered, nestled next to the elf’s chest.

 

                                                ~

 

 

They reached the town three hours past sunset and approached the closed gate warily.  Gimli knocked firmly on the heavy gate and after a moment a narrow spy hole slid open.

 

“State yer names and business,” a gruff voice sounded from behind the door.

 

“Gimli Gloin’s son and Legolas of the Greenwood, just passing through and wanting to stay at the Inn of the Enchanted Oak,” the dwarf replied promptly. The door warden looked them over a bit before opening the gate.

 

“Didn’t figger ye’d be up to nonsense with a young ‘un in tow,” he said, indicating the sling and ushering them through the gate.

 

“Yes, as to that,” Gimli replied, moving over to make room for Legolas to pass through the gate, “does the town have a midwife? We’d like her to take a look at the wee one, just to make sure she’s weathered the journey well.”

 

“Auntie Tess’ place is down the main road and left at the first crossroad you come to. Fourth house down on the right, ye can’t miss it. She’ll still have the lanterns lit, for certain.” He gestured down the darkened street. “Inn’s not half full tonight, what with the harvest startin’.  Ye picked a good time fer traveling. Good e’en to ye.”

 

“Good evening to you as well, Warden, and a pleasant watch. Thank you for your help,” Gimli replied, nodding politely to the man.

 

A short walk later found them at the midwife’s door. The lanterns were indeed still lit, as the door warden had said, so Gimli rapped on the door without hesitation.

 

The woman who answered the door was of middle years, certainly not what either traveler would have pictured as someone referred to as ‘Auntie’. She was tall for a female, and broadly built, but she had a pleasant face and the creases at the corners of her eyes spoke of good humor.

 

“So much for my quiet night,” she said with a grin. “What can I do for you, Master Dwarf?”

 

Gimli stepped aside, allowing Legolas to move into the light coming through the open door. The elf said not a word, but merely shifted the folds of the sling to reveal the sleeping infant. The woman’s eyes widened.

 

“I think perhaps you’d best come inside,” she said, stepping back and opening the door wide enough for them to pass through.

 

                                               ~

 

“This is Kesta’s child. I delivered her not a day and a half ago. Damn that uncle of hers!” The midwife slammed the cupboard door shut and heaved a great sigh. “Understand this, good sirs. That girl would no more have abandoned this child willingly than you would have left her to her fate. Restor, the uncle, did this, I’m certain of it.” She sat down at the table in her brightly lit kitchen and ran her hand through her graying hair. “We’d hoped that since the babe was a girl that he’d let her keep it. A daughter couldn’t inherit Kesta’s late husband’s land, so Restor still controls it, and will even if Kesta remarries. But we never thought he’d go so far as to leave the baby out in the woods to die.” Her hand curled into a fist again. “And he’ll get away with it, as well since no one around here is strong enough to stand up to him.” She met both their eyes for a moment.

 

“Best you continue on your way with her, friends. There’s none that will take her, knowing who she is, and odds are Restor will want her back just so he can be sure to finish what he started. He’s a bad one, through and through. He’ll likely blame it on poor Kesta, and say that her grief for her husband drove her to it.”  She chewed her lower lip. “Don’t go to the Inn. You’re welcome to stay here. I’ll supply you with what she’ll need, and I’ve two horses in the stable. You’re welcome to borrow either, for as long as you need to get her to someplace where she’ll be safe. Best you leave at first light. I’ll try to let Kesta know that Brenna’s alive and in good hands.”

 

“But, if he controls the land because the babe is female, why dispose of her?” Legolas asked, cradling the baby protectively against his chest.

 

“Could be that he’s planning on marrying Kesta off and figures that it’d be easier if there wasn’t a child.” Tess scowled fiercely. “Could be that he doesn’t want another mouth to feed, not that he can’t afford it, mind you. I know he wanted Kesta’s father to marry her to someone he had chosen because it would benefit him and it caused a big rift between them when Regen allowed her to wed Tomil for love.” She sighed again, rising to refill their mugs with tea.

 

“Regen was killed in the War, along with my husband and half the able-bodied men of the town, and Tomil was killed in a skirmish with orcs four months ago. Restor approached me not a week after wanting me to give him a potion to rid Kesta of the baby. I told him it was too late, that anything I might give her would as likely kill her as the babe. He backed off, but I saw enough signs that he abused her trying to make her miscarry that I had a word with the headman. Didn’t do a bit of good. It was a miracle that she carried the child to term and another miracle that the child was born alive. I was surprised that they even sent for me, but I suppose his plans for Kesta made it necessary for her to survive the birth.”

 

“And the town would condone his murdering an innocent baby?” the elf asked, his outrage plain.

 

“Condone, no, but he’s got most of the town in his pocket and those he hasn’t bought are afraid of him. Even to the point of looking the other way when he commits an act the town outlawed almost five hundred years ago,” she growled, resting her elbow on the table and propping her chin in her hand.

 

“I sense a story here,” Gimli said, taking a scone from the plate in front of him and biting into it.

 

“Oh, and it’s a good one, too,” Tess said. “You see, the folk of this town use the woods for hunting and for firewood. As long as there’s been a town, there’s been an agreement between the townsfolk and the Elvenking about the use of the woods. The town sends a yearly payment of goods in return for a certain amount of hunting and gathering of deadfall.” She took a sip of her tea, well aware that they both hung on every word. “Anyway, the exposing of sickly or unwanted infants wasn’t that uncommon back then. It wasn’t spoken of, but everyone knew it went on. Unbeknownst to the townsfolk, the Elvenking’s patrols had been finding what was left of the poor babies and reporting back to him. He’s a sharp one, is the Elvenking, he figured out real quick what was going on, and he had a right fit over it. Rode into town himself, and his queen just having given birth, too, and told the whole town that if it didn’t stop, he was going to revoke their privileges to the woods. Well, that would have been the end of the town, so the council agreed to his demands and outlawed the practice. Anyone who’s dared to do it since has been thrown right out of the town.”

 

“Legolas, what do you think Lord Celeborn and King Thranduil would think to hear about little Brenna?” Gimli asked, a calculating look on his face. The elf’s eyes widened, and then he grinned nastily.

 

“I think the town would get another visit, and by two elven lords in foul temper instead of one,” the archer replied.

 

“Can you do it? Can you get word to them?  Would they heed your word? That’s the only thing that would force the council to deal with Restor,” the midwife said, hope dawning in her eyes. Gimli and Legolas looked at each other, the elf nodding almost imperceptibly. Gimli grinned.

 

“Oh, I think they’ll listen, lass,” Gimli stated with a smug grin. “In the meantime, we’ll need to take a detour back to your home and introduce little Brenna to your father, Legolas.”

 

The elf choked on his tea.

 

TBC…………

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List