Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Title: Love's Choice

Rating: G

Summary: Arwen and her father have a long-awaited talk. This was written for the Middle-earth Express challenge prompt #33: Acceptance.

Disclaimers: I don't own any of Tolkien's characters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Arwen listened as soft footsteps approached her, halted, then began to recede as the other started walking away. She sighed softly to herself before speaking up. "You may as well join me, Ada. There is room for us both, and you cannot keep avoiding me." Her tone was slightly chiding. She had only recently returned to Imladris from Lothlorien after pledging to forsake her immortal life for a mortal existence with Aragorn. Every time her father saw her, he was reminded of her decision and the fact that he would lose her to death. While she understood his reasons for avoiding her, she had to put a stop to this.

She had not only returned to Imladris for Aragorn's sake, but to spend time with her family. Now that she must face the fact that she no longer had centuries to look forward to, she wanted to spend what time she had with her father and brothers. However, it was rather difficult to spend time with her father when he retreated every time he spotted her.

Elrond hesitated in the doorway, before berating himself for a coward and stepping out onto the balcony. She was right, his behavior had been unacceptable. Taking a seat on the bench next to her, he sat in silence, not knowing how to bridge the chasm that had sprung up between them.

Arwen took the initiative and spoke into the silence. "I have missed you, Ada."

Her words cut deeply into Elrond's heart because he knew she did not only mean during the time she had spent in Lothlorien, but since she had returned home. "I have missed you, too, Arwen," Elrond's voice was sad as he reached for her hand.

"We should not have to miss each other when we reside in the same house," Arwen pointed out. Since her father seemed reluctant to broach the topic they needed to discuss, Arwen forced herself to speak, though she knew her words would hurt him. "I know why you avoid me, Ada, but I could make no other choice. I love Aragorn, and I could not imagine trying to survive an eternity without him. My heart would break under the sorrow, and I hope you would not have that be my fate?"

Elrond's breath caught in his throat at the thought of his daughter having to live the rest of her life mourning a lost love, knowing she had lost her one chance at happiness. "No, I would not wish that," he said softly. "But I do not wish to lose you."

Arwen knew one thing that would make him see why she had to make the decision she had. "Ada, if Naneth had been mortal, what would you have done?"

The question pierced Elrond's heart as he thought of his beautiful, golden haired wife. His grief when she had sailed had nearly caused him to fade. Only the love of his children and the sense that he had many things yet to do had kept him from sailing with her. Every day since then, he had missed her intensely. If that was how Arwen and Aragorn felt about each other… Shaking his head, he finally saw how deeply Arwen loved Aragorn. "I would do exactly as you have done, and would let none stand in my way," he said, wrapping an arm around Arwen's shoulders and pulling her close, resting his head atop hers as he came to accept that this was the right choice for both her and Aragorn. Though he was saddened at the loss he would have to face, he was happy for his children, that they had found the same sort of love that he shared with Celebrían. Theirs was a love that would make all hardships worthwhile, a love that would only grow over the years as they started a family of their own. A smile crossed his face as he realized that they had found exactly the sort of love he would have wished for them both. And that, he had no trouble accepting.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List