Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Middle-earth Express Prompts  by Misty

Title: Fair Game

Summary: Legolas arrives for a visit and makes an unexpected discovery. This was written for the Middle-earth Express challenge prompt #29: Guest.

Disclaimers: I don't own them, I don't make any money from this, they belong to Tolkien, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I will kill them."

Aragorn shot a surreptitious look at the dripping elf beside him, and did his best to stifle a chuckle. Legolas had ended up taking an unexpected dip in the lake, fully clothed, courtesy of Elladan and Elrohir, and was now rather incensed. Legolas had arrived in Imladris the day before, looking quite weary and worn by the constant battles in Mirkwood. The twins had attempted to help lighten Legolas' spirit in their own way, a move they had badly miscalculated. Rather than laughing and relaxing, the elven prince had threatened retribution.

"They did not mean any real harm, Legolas. You know that. As far as one of their pranks go, you got off very lightly. You only got a bit wet." Aragorn shrugged.

With a sigh, Legolas acknowledged the truth of that statement. He had been the victim of many pranks where he did not get off so lightly. Legolas wrung his hair out and then shook his head, sending water droplets flying. "I only arrived for a visit yesterday. I was hardly expecting to be tackled near the edge of the lake my first full day here. Can they not give me a day or two to recover from my journey first?" Pausing, he looked seriously at his friend. "Are the twins this vexing to all of their guests? If this is how they treat visiting royalty, I shudder to think how they treat any other guests."

Stopping in his tracks, Aragorn gave Legolas a quizzical look. "Of course they do not treat our guests this way. You, my friend, are not a guest here."

Legolas stopped beside the man and looked at him in puzzlement. "How am I not a guest? I do not live here." Legolas asked, perplexed at Aragorn's answer.

A chuckle escaped Aragorn before he could help it. "Legolas, you have a room in the family wing right beside mine. That room remains empty when you are not here. It is your room, not simply a guest room. You are as a brother to me and to the twins. My father sees you as another son. How many times have you and I been the victim of the twins, or played a prank of our own on them? You are family, Legolas. And to the twins, that means you are fair game for a prank anywhere, at any time."

Legolas stared at Aragorn. While he was very pleased and even honored that they all considered him to be one of the family, he did not like the implications. "What would I have to do to be considered only a guest?"

Giving in to the laughter welling up inside him, Aragorn shook his head at the plaintive question and started walking back to Imladris. "It is far too late for that, Legolas. You are family now, and from that, there is no escape."






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List